PDA

View Full Version : Question about online certificate programs...

Oscar98
02-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Hello all, 2nd post... I was told this might be a good place to ask. I am probably deploying this summer and would like to take a class or two online while I'm downrange. My long term goal is to get a Masters in Intelligence/National Security or (preferably) economics. I've knocked out most (if not all) prerequisites for an MBA, but am probably changing my vector. So... I am studying for the GRE right now, but don't plan on applying for a full-up Masters program until I can attend, a$$-in-seat (I prefer that to the online stuff). That said, there looks like a decent number of online certificate programs out there, and that might be the way to go for the short term. I've looked at the Bush School at A&M, Thunderbird, The Institute of World Politics, GWU, Maryland, Tufts, and of course, AMU.

Do any of you see a lot of Masters programs accepting transfer credits earned in Certificate Programs? And I've found little, to no useful avenue for online economics programs... so are there any recommendations there? I've already read much on hear about AMU and Norwich, so of the others above, what do you think about those schools online resources? Thanks.

SWCAdmin
02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Answering with a vague generality...

Whenever I've looked closely at this, it has been my experience that the better the school and the more advanced in the curriculum the course is, the less likely they are to accept a transfer credit. From anywhere, online or no.

For this question in the context of an undergrad, it is advisable to stick with general ed low-end requirements that are more likely to transfer. Since those are fewer and farther between at the masters level, you are on thinner ice. We have talked here before about some online masters. But you are asking a different question -- external transfer credits (online or no) to a resident masters.

The only person that can give you an accurate answer is the registrar of the resident degree-granting institution that you are seeking credit from for your external (to them) activity.

As far as policies, with a minimum bit of looking you should be able to find their general policy on transfer credits. Perhaps others more current in academia can speak to how flexible they are in applying those procedures in practice. Your mileage may vary, but probably only a little on the fringe from the formal policy.

I'd be surprised if the "certificate" part of your RFI meant any more than the individual coursework, at least with regard to its acceptance at your institution TBD. And the higher end courses you might need to pursue to get the cert are probably those that are least likely to transfer, so you may be on the horns of a dilemna.

marct
02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I've had some experience with transfer credits, but we tend to convert them as generic year credits rather than specialty courses. We almost never accept transfers of core course credits. That being said, at the MA level I have heard of courses being transferred, but never more that 2 (out of five required).

If you do have a particular program and university in mind, what you may be able to do is to get an online course pre-approved for transfer. Generally the way we handle it at Carleton is to have you register in our program and then apply to take the course elsewhere, although I don't believe any of our departments accept online courses. Try picking out a program and university and contacting both the graduate registrars office and the specific person in charge of that graduate program and ask their advice. Usually, the person who runs the program inside the department will know (or the graduat secretary will know ;)) all of the tricks that will work with their particular administrative policies.

Marc

Oscar98
02-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Awesome. Good info... I think (time allowing) I will still try to complete one of these certificate programs, hoping at best to transfer one or two classes for credit (if I don't choose economics). Best I can tell, to pursue the economics track I have to go to school full time. It will be a few years before I can do that.

So, to take this in a follow-on direction, I've read a lot on here about AMU and Norwich's online programs. Does anyone have any gouge on Tufts, the Bush School, Thunderbird, The Intitute of World Politics, and GWU? The goal here for me is "focused" education, and not necessarily resume building. I can research the costs on my own, so a few questions I'm considering:

- Which schools' online programs are more marketable to the defense/intel community, whether that's as a civil servant or a contractor?
- Which have the best interaction with professors/students through live chat, discussion forums?
- (I don't mind working, so...) who will teach me the most (obviously this would be very subjective)!
- If you were in any of these programs, was the cost worth it? I'll be paying out of my own pockets.

Like someone else stated about themselves in one thread, I'm all over the place in my own personal pursuit of knowledge. One day I'm reading a book on economics. The next week I'm reading about Constantine. Then, talk to me in a month and I'm reading about military strategy. I could use some focus!

Thanks in advance... If you'd rather talk off-line, PM will do fine.

marct
02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi Oscar98,

Like someone else stated about themselves in one thread, I'm all over the place in my own personal pursuit of knowledge. One day I'm reading a book on economics. The next week I'm reading about Constantine. Then, talk to me in a month and I'm reading about military strategy. I could use some focus!

Well, I can't really talk to most of your questions I'm afraid (I'm in Canada not the US). Still, I would like to comment on your "focus" issue. Getting a focus is great but, at the same time, quite over-rated. It helps you get the certification, but it also tends to reduce the likelihood that you will get an education ;). When I was working on my dissertation, I found that my studies (purely self-directed) on the Sumeria city states from 4500 years ago were the most helpful in giving me a handle on what was happening today. Well, that and my again self-directed study of neurobiology and brain structures. And, since I was technically working on how the career transition industry developed, you can imagine the blank loks I got from many of my colleagues :D.

selil
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Few understand how a former soldier, marine, law enforcement officer can teach computer science theory. It's easy though. Muwahahahaah.

My undergraduate is bscs, masters mscs, phd is technology (ongoing like a bad horror flick with lots of blood and brains, and most of it is mine).

Most western education systems are built upon a broad base of shallow knowledge, that builds to a point of deep knowledge in an ultimate specific topic. These are great for creating silo's of information and graduate programs, but horrible for engendering creativity and understanding.

Ron Humphrey
02-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Few understand how a former soldier, marine, law enforcement officer can teach computer science theory. It's easy though. Muwahahahaah.

My undergraduate is bscs, masters mscs, phd is technology (ongoing like a bad horror flick with lots of blood and brains, and most of it is mine).

Most western education systems are built upon a broad base of shallow knowledge, that builds to a point of deep knowledge in an ultimate specific topic. These are great for creating silo's of information and graduate programs, but horrible for engendering creativity and understanding.

It should still be noted that in may ways the current culture in most areas you would be looking towards still look pretty heavily towards that :

Most western education systems are built upon a broad base of shallow knowledge, that builds to a point of deep knowledge in an ultimate specific topic.

And as Rob and others have pointed to in one form or another the requirement for moderation in changing anything means thats not going to go away overnight.

(Rob: Let me know if I'm misinterpreting you)

carlson
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Here are a couple of schools that may offer what you seek. Naturally, you will need to do your own research to see if they will work for your situation and changing interests. I have no experience or affiliation with these schools, so can offer no advice related to their suitibility.

Prescott College
Self-Directed Independent Study Masters of Arts Program
http://www.prescott.edu/academics/map/

Lesley University
Independent Study Degree Program
http://www.lesley.edu/gsass/inds_ma.html