PDA

View Full Version : His Cup Runneth Over: A Warrior's Thanks

SWJED
03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
ABC News has an Associated Press story here (http://www.abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=4413691) - all I can I say is wow, I'm glad I read it.

The Japanese fighter caught the American pilot from behind, riddling his plane with machine-gun rounds. The left engine burst into flames. It was time to bail out.

He yanked on the release lever but the cockpit canopy only half-opened. He unbuckled his seat belt, rose to shake the canopy loose and was instantly sucked out.

Swinging beneath his opened parachute, he plunged toward a Pacific island jungle of thick, towering eucalyptus trees, of crocodile rivers and headhunters, into enemy territory, and into an unimagined future as a hero, "Suara Auru," Chief Warrior, to generations of islanders yet unborn...

davidbfpo
03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
A good evening read and a reminder that individual Americans have such an impact in a developing country. I am sure there are numerous examples, not just missionaries or soldiers.

In a different context, relevant now, 'Soldier Sahibs:The Men who made the North West Frontier' by Charles Allen, recounts how a small number of men earnt the loyalty and trust of local tribesmen.

davidbfpo