PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Training RFI

SWJED
04-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Just got a request for information via e-mail that I cannot answer - would appreciate any help here.

Does a program (or programs) exist dedicated to training Iraqi officers and non-commissioned officers in the United States?

If so, are they carefully screened to enable the selection of up and comers vice those using connections to take a breather in the land of the great PX?

And another if so, is there a feedback system on their subsequent assignments and performance?

Rob Thornton
04-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Does a program (or programs) exist dedicated to training Iraqi officers and non-commissioned officers in the United States?

As written, I don't think so. However, I do think some of the Iraqi officers are starting to enter our OES system (the OBC through AWC type schools), and I would not be surprised if they are entering some of the like schools in allied nations. I tried to arrange for one of my IA peers to come here while I was in Iraq, he was certainly bright enough, he had demonstrated language skills, and was teaching his U.S. counterparts plenty about the enemy. There were some politics involved (true for almost every country who select officers to send to the U.S.), and we could not make it work. Its a shame, having a guy like that from any country benefits the class he is a part of, as well as strengthening bonds between our country and his. I'd also mention that a great deal of work has been done in Iraq to improve their NCOES and OES, and as a result the quality of their officers and NCOs has been improving.

Best, Rob

RTK
04-06-2008, 04:18 AM
I would love to have an international military student officer at the armor basic officer leadership course from Iraq or Afghanistan. I know for a fact an Afghani CSM graduated from the Sergeants Major Academy a few years ago.

Anyone deployed working on a MiTT with an IA Armored BDE please scout out a candidate. I'd be willing to work it on my end in the schoolhouse with whoever would listen.

sandbag
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I swung through Fort Leisure (Lee) a couple of months ago on my way somewhere else, and met a couple of Afghan officers attending OBC there.

shark11
05-01-2008, 03:43 AM
There is an Iraqi Army cadet at West Point right now. He should be graduating in 2009 I think.

The short answer to your question is yes, but not nearly as much as for our Afghan counterparts. Some of the domestic training programs for Afghan officers are counternarcotics in nature, Iraq of course doesnt grow alot of poppies.

davidbfpo
05-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Last month I was at Sandhurst, the UK Army's officer training academy and on the passing out parade was one Iraqi Army officer.

Hardly an extensive presence, although I recall we contribute to in-country training of officers and NCOs.

Following traditional links there were officers from: Belize, Botswana, Brunei, The Gambia, Jamaica, Kuwait, Maldives, Malta, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Tanzania and UAE.

At a seperate forum there was an intriguing reference to Pakistani officer cadets being subverted in the UK by the radical Muslim group, Hizb-ut-Tahir and years alter trying to launch a coup.

davidbfpo