PDA

View Full Version : OIF Strategic Bibliography

SteveMetz
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
FYI, attached is a strategic level bibliography on Iraq that I'm building. Would welcome suggestions for things I've missed.

Ken White
04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I was surprised to see little pre-2000 material.

SteveMetz
04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I pulled most of that out unless it was directly related to the OIF decision. It's in my book bibliography.

Ken White
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
pre-2000 thought had to do with the DoD / CentCom approach to what happened later -- though I'm sure we won't know most of that until 2030... ;)

Thanks for posting that, I was surprised by the number I'd read -- and dismayed at those I'd missed. :wry:

Umar Al-Mokhtār
04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
but the whole contractor situation did have strategic implications and consequences.

Pelton, Robert Young. Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror. New York, Crown 2006

Rasor, Dina and Bauman, Robert. Betraying Our Troops: The Destructive Results of Privatizing War. New York, Palgrave McMillian 2007

Scahill, Jeremy. Blackwater: The Rise of the World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army. New York, Nation Books 2007

Schumacher, Col Gerald. A Bloody Business: America’s War Zone Contractors and the Occupation of Iraq. Minnesota, Zenith Press 2006

Singer, P.W. Corporate Warriors: The Rise of the Privatized Military Industry. New York, Cornell University Press 2003

And I as a fellow Marine I have to shoot props to Bing's other book as well:

West, Bing. No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah. New York, Bantam 2006

Schmedlap
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm glad you posted this. Lots of items there for me to add to my giant stack of books that I'll read "someday."

Possible addition: Melvin Laird's article comparing Iraq and Vietnam in the Nov/Dec 05 edition of Foreign Affairs

Ron Humphrey
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I pulled most of that out unless it was directly related to the OIF decision. It's in my book bibliography.

Just out of curiosity exactly how does one determine what exactly was involved in OIF decision.

And on that note would there not be more international publication's as well which may have had a lot to do with it?