PDA

View Full Version : Classic USMC Photo

Culpeper
05-01-2008, 08:20 PM
This is a classic USMC photo and yet I can't find anything on the identity of these Marines.

http://dirckhalstead.org/issue0405/ddd36.html

Danny
05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
This is an interesting photo, and it would indeed be nice to know its origin. But technically speaking, the caption would probably be wrong. The three Marine rifle skills badges are in order [a] marksman (or what the grunts call the pizza box ribbon - everyone tried to avoid it), [b] sharpshooter, and [c] expert.

I don't know the badges when this photo was shot, but these guys are probably experts.

Ken White
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
a mass audience they were probably thinking the dictionary version of the word. Media folks are prone to do that...
sharp·shoot·er
Pronunciation: \ˈshärp-ˌshü-tər\
Function: noun
Date: 1802

1 : a proficient marksman
2 : a consistently accurate shooter (as in basketball)

Pedantry is its own reward...

jcustis
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I've seen the details posted in captions within at least a half-dozen coffee table books at the Gray Research Library. If I remember correctly, one of them (center Marine?) was a lieutenant.

Ron Humphrey
05-01-2008, 10:51 PM
This is a classic USMC photo and yet I can't find anything on the identity of these Marines.

http://dirckhalstead.org/issue0405/ddd36.html

Also whatever their doin you gotta give the shooter cred, it looks like he's dressed to go to a party after he's done. You know got the button up dress shirt on underneath his camo. and no helmet to mess up his hair:D

Or did that used to be standard undergarment?

The same pic in the WIKI breakdown long and fairly detailed not sure about total accuracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh

Pic history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KhS7.jpg

slapout9
05-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Ask David Duglas Duncan the photographer at the website. He was actually protesting the War. He wrote a book called "I Protest" where most if not all those pictures ended up. Try that and see if he responds.

Ken White
05-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Also whatever their doin you gotta give the shooter cred, it looks like he's dressed to go to a party after he's done. You know got the button up dress shirt on underneath his camo. and no helmet to mess up his hair:Da jungle uniform jacket.

Culpeper
05-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Ask David Duglas Duncan the photographer at the website. He was actually protesting the War. He wrote a book called "I Protest" where most if not all those pictures ended up. Try that and see if he responds.

His estate donated the photo to the USMC History Division. I think that means he's dead now and put the photo in the public domain by donating it to the government. Also, the guy with the rifle has to be a USMC Sniper/Scout. That is the original 1966 M40. The scoped rifle gave these guys a free pass to just about anywhere. Including Khe Sanh. The only way that guy is not a Sniper/Scout is if he is an officer. No Scout/Sniper would let anyone hold that weapon unless he was giving it up and then only to an officer with instruction to log it into the armory along with the serial number. As far as I know only 1/5 Sniper Platoon was at Khe Sanh. I could be wrong on that though. Anyway, I believe this is a candid photo. I've seen reference to it maybe on one of the hilltops near Khe Sanh. Nevertheless, it was not a good day. These guys have been in the field a while. I've alter the photo a little and you can see their hair is matted with dirt.

slapout9
05-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Culpeper, I would still try and find a copy of "I protest" the caption below the picture may say who it is.

Culpeper
05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Culpeper, I would still try and find a copy of "I protest" the caption below the picture may say who it is.

Okay, I'll need to get it through ILLIAD though.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f1/a3/b995124128a0573d34f73010._AA240_.L.jpg

bikewrench8541
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Photo is from Khe Sanh Feb 23, 1968.
In the pic is LCpl Albert Miranda, LCpl David Birdwell and Lt Alec Bodenwiser.
Their hometowns are listed as well, it is a very famous Life photo.
Photo is by David Douglas Duncan (A Former Marine himself ISTR)

All info from 'The One Round War' by Peter Senich.

BTW it's Scout/Snipers.
That is an issue wool shirt for all of you interested.
I'm not sure which S/S platoons would have been there but there were multiple Regiments involved.

Twice in one week for some reason, in fact, twice in one day...

Culpeper
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I have written "Scout/Sniper" 1,000 times as punishment. Thanks for the ID. Not bad for your second contribution to the forum. Welcome aboard. BTW, are those IDs from left to right?

bikewrench8541
05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Affirmative. Left to right.
Cheers, thanks. I actually had just looked it up yesterday morning for another person.

Culpeper
05-03-2008, 02:56 AM
I canceled the ILLiad request for "I Protest" and changed it to "One-Round War". I didn't get the title until I saw the cover...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FVM9NXBFL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

"I Protest" is on my radar though.

Culpeper
05-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Here is the actual developed photograph. I have also found a means to contact the center Marine. I hope he replies or joins this topic.

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/web/ddd/gallery/war/349.html

120mm
05-15-2008, 08:25 AM
a mass audience they were probably thinking the dictionary version of the word. Media folks are prone to do that...

Pedantry is its own reward...

But you'll go blind and get hairy palms from it....

Culpeper
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I received several emails from David Burdwell. Turns out Earl Breeding (Hill 861A) lives in my town. Ran into Earl the other day at the range of all places.

jumpinjarhead
07-23-2010, 07:39 PM
This is an interesting photo, and it would indeed be nice to know its origin. But technically speaking, the caption would probably be wrong. The three Marine rifle skills badges are in order [a] marksman (or what the grunts call the pizza box ribbon - everyone tried to avoid it), [b] sharpshooter, and [c] expert.

I don't know the badges when this photo was shot, but these guys are probably experts.

They were the same in that era (mine) as they are today-only the weapons used and some aspects of the qualification courses have changed.

Culpeper
07-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Since I posted this thread only the Marine in the middle is still with us. Last time I spoke with Earl Breeding he said the photo was sort of staged. They were scouting for enemy in the distance when the photo was taken but they sort of paused for the photographer. No big deal. Still a great photo. I have a Scout/Sniper Association version of that rifle built by the Remington custom shop and Brigade Armory. Had it out to the range yesterday. Very accurate rifle. The Marines called it the M700 in Vietnam. Also, known as the M40. Before the M40A1. I've had this rifle since 2006. I use 168 gr. match ammo. Very accurate out to 600 meters. Marines used a heavier bullet and ranged out to 1000 yards on a good day.

EDIT: Some background on Earl Breeding during Khe Sanh.
http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=23302

SSA Rifle #798 of 1200

http://www.myculpeper.com/m40/M40b.jpg

GI Zhou
07-26-2010, 06:35 AM
The expression 'Green with Envy' is quite apt about now. It still looks better than the new Chinese made sniping rifles.

bikewrench8541
07-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Wait til you see one up close.;-)
Used to be 173 gr FMJ Match, finally 'they' said it was cool to use 168 gr BTHP Match.
More inherantly accurate projectile.

Bodysnatcher 6
02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
This photo depicts two members of Scout/Sniper platoon from 2/26th Marines, 3d MarDiv, on the north perimeter of Hill 861-A, N/W of Khe Sanh, February, 1968. The shooter is L/Cpl Albert Miranda (El Paso, TX), spotter Cpl David Burdwell ( Ontario, CA), 2dLt Alex "Jeff" Bodenweiser (Salem, OR -deceased), 2d Platoon Commander, CO "E" 2/26. This activity was not 'staged', they were taking turns shooting at a group of NVA who had their 'field mess' & were cooking rice in the valley to the north. problem, they were in excess of 1300-1400 yds away. The rifle was zero'd @ 800 yds. The rifle was similar to a Rem M-700 heavy barrel ADL with a Redfield 3x9 power scope. they each fired a few shots at the NVA until they 'moved out smartly' (running for cover!) while David Douglas Duncan photographed them (and everything else in sight-we had been overrun & there was plenty to take pictures of). Several others of us watched this unfold just out of camera view with another pair of binoculars being passed around. The air strike was better directed than the rifle fire.
The "button up shirt" mentioned was USMC issued! If you were lucky enough to get one, they were life savers in the mountains of Khe Sanh. They were old dark green wool "field" shirts from a previous era that were resurrected to keep the troops warm. I never found one to fit, so I carried a US G.I. wool blanket up there. "E" Co. spent 94 days at Khe Sanh with a 90% casualty rate, (mostly on Hill 861 & 861-A) with no bath, uniform exchange, & very little water. We had 77 people on duty with the Company when we were replaced by "A" Co. 1/1 Marines led by 1stLt Ray Smith, later known as "E-tool" Smith (retired MGen). He said we were the most 'raggedy-assed Marines" he saw in over 30 years service! These photos are in a book "War Without Heros" by DDD (out of print for years).
I hope this clears some of your questions up & I am open to questions regarding any of this.
Semper Fidelis, L/Cpl James N. Kaylor 2349911/0311 E 2/26, 67-68

Culpeper
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
That was a super cool post. I saw Earl Breeding the other day. The old goat is still alive. Anyway, it is always an honor to hear from somebody that was there.