PDA

View Full Version : Relationships btwn Syrian/Iranian/US youth

bluegreencody
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I was wondering if anybody knows of any programs/institutions that promote/facilitate relationships between youth in Syria and youth in the US? Could be faith-based, military, academic, musical, sports related...whatever. I am curious as to the extent that Syrian and US youth have relationships, of any kind. I am interested in similar programs/instituitons between Iranian and US youth as well. Any information provided would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Ron Humphrey
05-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I was wondering if anybody knows of any programs/institutions that promote/facilitate relationships between youth in Syria and youth in the US? Could be faith-based, military, academic, musical, sports related...whatever. I am curious as to the extent that Syrian and US youth have relationships, of any kind. I am interested in similar programs/instituitons between Iranian and US youth as well. Any information provided would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Internet, Tv(sat), phone messaging, literature, and of course the innate ability of all youth everywhere to do whatever bothers the adults the most; Seems like plenty of commonalities for this to happen

Anyone ever met a kid who couldn't open the child-proof containers?
I think its fair to say that exchanges are happening quite a lot and trying to help it along too much might more likely backfire then help. Of course facilitating more access to where these exchanges take place probably wouldn't hurt.

bluegreencody
05-03-2008, 01:39 AM
...and trying to help it along too much might more likely backfire then help.

Why?

Ron Humphrey
05-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Why?

Human nature is to force that around us into a mold which suits our purposes. This goes for everyone from the farmer all the way to kings and other leaders.
If we're willing to except that there is a truly natural state for humans then left alone we would seek that state through our normal lives. For each a different path but in general ending up at close to the same point. i would propose should we review those experiences we each have in our own lives we can see how environment has either helped or hurt us on that path.

The reason I say not too much is exactly that ,the higher probability of over doing it. To facilitate that which is natural is ok ; What would we consider a parents guidance if not that. But if those being helped either get to much help and thus don't have to press through certain hardships in order to get to a certain point then even if you bring them further towards their eventual goals they may not have the skillsets required to survive lifes greater pressures to achieve the end state.

In shorter terms. Always be willing to lend a helping hand but when dealing with youth understand that any helping hand is a challenge that they didn't face and thus learned little to nothing from. consider that many in other countries have been brought up with fairly hardline expectations and requirements in life.

They may jump at what seems like "golden opportunity" but the likelihood that the moment anything goes wrong they will revert to that which they know(or have been taught) and probably not stray very far thereafter is high.

That would mean another whole generation before change might really happen. If they are searching on their own however they are more likely to expect hardship and may even take setbacks as something to keep pushing at until overcome.

Not really anything more than my own opinion so take it for what its worth...

PS: Just realized haven't had the opportunity to get to know some background to add context to your posts-

please feel freee to introduce yourself to us here Link (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?p=45986#post45986)