PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Douglas - Route Irish

bluegreencody
05-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Not quite sure where or if this fits (I think it might, somewhere)...
I just saw a great show by Jerry Douglas. He's the dobro player who has been playing with Alison Krauss the last couple of years. Great show.
Anyways, in reference to this board, he played a song called "Route Irish", refering to the Baghdad Airport Road, and in tribute to U.S. troops. I shall say, it brought me to tears. I believe it's off an upcoming album.
I just thought some of the folk here would like to know it exists...

Gian P Gentile
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
bluegreencody:

thanks for posting this; I will keep my eye out for it.

I and my Squadron "owned" it (of course a relative term in Iraq for an american combat outfit) for the whole year we were there in 2006. I had to live with the threat from higher HQ about Hillary Clinton quipping again, "heck you cant even secure the airport road." Had a number of heartreaks on it that I would chose to forget. I also remember the time in early spring 06 when Condi Rice couldnt fly to the GZ because of weather so she had to drive along the road. I was standing on the side as she drove by, dont know if she noticed me. And driving the thing was always a twist because of the center medium being flooded and therefore creating sort of a faux-natural eco-system full of water fowl and other forms of animal life.

gian

Entropy
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
It must be a new song - it's not on his myspace page, nor on itunes yet.

I love the dobro - it has such a fantastic sound.

bluegreencody
10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
It's out (since August)...

Entropy
11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Jerry played "route Irish" on a Prairie Home Companion (http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/) this weekend (Nov 8th show). Really good stuff.