PDA

View Full Version : Small Wars Journal, Operated by Small Wars Foundation

SWJED
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Small Wars Journal, Operated by Small Wars Foundation (http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/2008/06/small-wars-journal-operated-by/)

Small Wars Foundation (http://smallwars.org/) assumed ownership and operation of Small Wars Journal from Small Wars Journal, LLC on June 1, 2008.

Small Wars Journal has never been operated with a profit motive. The LLC was a way to get the site started, add rigor to its management, and maybe allow us to keep our houses (and, accordingly, our wives) in the odd chance we pissed off someone with a good lawyer.

We built it, and you have come. There has been a great response, and we look forward to doing more to serve the community.

Small Wars Foundation is the right corporate structure for the site to move forward, develop more capabilities, sustain operations, and deliver to its vision. Small Wars Foundation is a Virginia corporation formed exclusively for charitable, educational, and literary purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal filing is in process for formal determination of status as a non-profit organization.

The core vision of the site, outlined on the About (http://smallwarsjournal.com/site/about/) page, remains the same. We haven't fired the Editor-in-Chief or Publisher, yet. Other developments to follow.

- Dave & Bill

jcustis
06-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Are congratulations in order, or are the legal wranglings involved to obsucre to allow a thumbs up? :D

SWJED
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Are congratulations in order, or are the legal wranglings involved to obsucre to allow a thumbs up? :D

Jon,

Neither I guess, (maybe a small pat) though it has been an education (Bill does the grunt work) moving through the federal and state bureaucracy. We needed to do this to take the sites, SWJ and SWC, to the next level. More on that to come once we have a hard copy of the 501(c).

Dave

Tom Odom
06-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Congrats!

I know you 2 have had this on the radar for sometime.

Again congratsI

Tom

SWJED
06-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks Tom and Jon - and Ken on the blog comments. Knocking on wood that one day we can do this full time and shove the day jobs, well, maybe shove aside a bit :rolleyes:

selil
06-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Does that mean we can no longer donate?

SWJED
06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Does that mean we can no longer donate?

Sure Sam, just like voting in Chicago - early and often...

selil
06-05-2008, 12:58 AM
If I donate will make the challenge coins happen? ROTFLMAO

bismark17
06-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Congrats!!! You guys have done a great job putting this together.

SWJED
06-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks Bismark, but trying to not sound like a putz, we just put this vehicle up - the members drive it. Appreciate the kind words.

Dr Jack
06-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Great job, guys!

William F. Owen
06-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Mazal Tov. Baruch Hashem. Well done.

SWJED
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Dr. Jack, Will F, and Schmedlap and Norfolk on the blog comments - thanks much!

John T. Fishel
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
my congrats - felicitaciones - to the general euphoria. You have put in a single site a superb resource for practitoners, scholars, and students alike. :D

May the Foundation have even greater success!

Cheers

JohnT

slapout9
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
As they say done here. Ya dun good boy!!!

Steve Blair
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Good job, guys!

Ron Humphrey
06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
You guys have done a great job of offering us learning opportunities beyond what we could have expected. Thank's for all your hard work and

CONGRAT's :D

Sargent
06-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Great news, and best of luck on the new path!

MattC86
06-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Congratulations, Bill and Dave, and thanks for your work in keeping this joint running for miscreants like myself. . .

Regards,

Matt

marct
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Way to go, guys! I know you've been working on it for a while and I'm glad to see that all the alligators have been wrassled to the ground :D!

SWCAdmin
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
This is a necessary intermediate step. Still in shaping ops. The congrats, Mission Accomplished, high fives, etc. should be held in abeyance. The significant milestone is when the application for non-profit status gets its federal approval. That's what makes contributions tax deductible (they aren't now) and what makes us eligible for some potential grants we've got our eyes on.

As Dave said, thanks to all. It's a team effort.

SWCAdmin
06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
P.S. re-reading my last, didn't mean it to be such a cold shower.

Just the facts, ma'am.

But go, us! All of us. Again, thanks all.

selil
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
P.S. re-reading my last, didn't mean it to be such a cold shower.

Just the facts, ma'am.

But go, us! All of us. Again, thanks all.

No cold shower at all. Y'all are doing it right, doing it well, and I'm just happy to be along for the ride. Think about the long list of accomplishments you've had over the last couple years with SWJ/C.. Pretty amazing.

SWJED
06-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks all!

MattC86
06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm temporarily rescinding my congratulations until it is determined whether the switch-over is the cause of a new bright pink ad I get on the SWJ main page for an online web-based game about "redecorating rooms." I don't even get the Holy War web game ad!

I want explanations. I'd take the Norwich Cannon Crew over these ads.

Regards,

Matt

SWCAdmin
06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm temporarily rescinding my congratulations until it is determined whether the switch-over is the cause of a new bright pink ad I get on the SWJ main page for an online web-based game about "redecorating rooms." I don't even get the Holy War web game ad!

I want explanations. I'd take the Norwich Cannon Crew over these ads.

Regards,

Matt
It's unconnected. The ads are context sensitive. I haven't seen the pink thing. Likely cause is the pussy cat screensaver and Ann Geddes baby pictures slideshow Google detects on your system.

Ken White
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Scroll ad, some McCain stuff and occasionally one that invites me to be Penpals with UK Military guys and gals...

Their context/content sensor must be broken; not a single Bourbon ad thus far...

MattC86
06-10-2008, 03:19 AM
I realized shortly after posting this query that I was risking getting the answer of "it's not us - it's you." At which point my sister has been officially banned from using my laptop, and I'm seriously reconsidering my other current hobbies. :wry:

I also get the UK military pen pals and repeated Norwichings, but those have been around since I started coming here. . .