PDA

View Full Version : Simple Sabotage Field Manual

Jedburgh
06-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Simple Sabotage Field Manual — Strategic Services (Provisional) (http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/p4013coll9&CISOPTR=307&filename=308.pdf), 17 Jan 44 (Declassified)

Office of Strategic Services
Washington, D. C.
17 January 1944

This Simple Sabotage Field Manual — Strategic Services (Provisional) — is published for the information and guidance of all concerned and will be used as the basic doctrine for Strategic Services training for this subject.

The contents of this Manual should be carefully controlled and should not be allowed to come into unauthorized hands.

The instructions may be placed in separate pamphlets or leaflets according to categories of operations but should be distributed with care and not broadly. They should be used as a basis of radio broadcasts only for local and special cases and as directed by the theater commander.

AR 380-5, pertaining to handling of secret documents, will be complied with in the handling of this Manual.

William J. Donovan
Director
I especially enjoyed (12) General Devices for Lowering Morale and Creating Confusion in section 5, Specific Suggestions for Simple Sabotage:

(a) Give lengthy and incomprehensible explanations when questioned.

(b) Report imaginary spies or danger to the Gestapo or police.

(c) Act stupid.

(d) Be as irritable and quarrelsome as possible without getting yourself into trouble.

(e) Misunderstand all sorts of regulations concerning such matters as rationing, transportation, traffic regulations.

(f) Complain against ersatz materials.

(g) In public treat axis nationals or quislings coldly.

(h) Stop all conversation when axis nationals or quislings enter a cafe.

(i) Cry and sob hysterically at every occasion, especially when confronted by government clerks.

(j) Boycott all movies, entertainments, concerts, newspapers which are in any way connected with the quisling authorities.

(k) Do not cooperate in salvage schemes.
I've dealt with (a), (c) and (d) so often that the work-around communication solutions became second nature. As a HUMINT'er, I'm sure I've had to deal with'em on a professional basis more than your average Joe, but I bet everyone's dealt with those three types of evasion at one point or another.

I've never personally seen anyone try (i) - but it would certainly be funny to watch.

Steve Blair
06-26-2008, 04:00 PM
It wasn't an official setting, but I have actually seen someone try (i) at a refund kiosk in a Target store some years back. She got her full cash refund, possibly out of self-defense on the clerk's part. It was a 5-minute sob-fest full of "this was supposed to be (sob) the dream gift (sob) for (full nose blow...sob) my dear husband (more sobs)."

Tom Odom
06-26-2008, 05:33 PM
(i) Cry and sob hysterically at every occasion, especially when confronted by government clerks.

Used to do that to the liitle old ladies in tennnis shoes finance clerks...

Trying to figure a way to do it to Defense Travel System...

So far wearing garlic around my neck works better in keeping the bloodsuckers away

Overall the complete list serves as an excellent training aid for budding politicians

Tom

Jedburgh
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
It wasn't an official setting, but I have actually seen someone try (i) at a refund kiosk in a Target store some years back. She got her full cash refund, possibly out of self-defense on the clerk's part. It was a 5-minute sob-fest full of "this was supposed to be (sob) the dream gift (sob) for (full nose blow...sob) my dear husband (more sobs)."
Steve, I wasn't referring to it in that particular context. The female gender using tears and sad eyes to get what they want or obtain favors is ingrained in some of'em from an early age, and I've run into it as often as any man - even from women who you would think wouldn't stoop to such cliche manipulative behavior.

I was referring to the use of tears as a counterinvestigative tactic; putting up an obstacle to inquiry. Not counterinterrogation, but as a method to put off the bureaucratic enemy before the inquiry becomes serious. Or simply as a not-so-subtle encouragement for the curious foe to move on and ask somebody else in the neighborhood what's going on. That may not be exactly what is referred to in the manual, but since the other three methods I highlighted are commonly used in that respect, that was my perception of the tactic as described.

Ted

Steve Blair
06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Jed,

I know what you were referring to...hence my "official setting" comment. I do know of at least one NCO who has used tears and such to block or delay official questions (during staff meetings), and I would suspect that such a technique is encountered by law enforcement (which slap might be able to speak to).

Just dredged that out of the memory banks as an example of how effective the technique could be....:)

Crusoe
06-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Almost makes me feel like I am dealing with my Iraqi counterpart again!!!