PDA

View Full Version : AFJ Essay Contest

Steve Blair
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry for the short notice, but I just saw this today. More information can be found here (http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2008/08/3655250).

Essay Competition: Win T.X. Hammes recommended reading list
Essay competition

How: Write and submit a short essay on the book that most changed or helped your career path.

Closing date is Sept 26, 2008.

Tom Odom
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Sorry for the short notice, but I just saw this today. More information can be found here (http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2008/08/3655250).

Closing date is Sept 26, 2008.

MDMP For Dummies

the abridged version :D

slapout9
08-05-2008, 01:54 AM
What kind of contest are they running...it doesn't say how much the prize is:D

Schmedlap
08-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Wow, I could probably hammer out 50 pages in one day explaining how "About Face" by Col Hackworth transformed me from a directionless teen who had no interest in anything other than drinking, fighting, and skipping school into a hyper-motivated, self-brainwashed, wannabe tool who joined the Army specifically to be an Infantry Officer, to fight our nation's enemies, and nearly had a nervous breakdown for fear of missing out on the invasion of Iraq. The ideas that I internalized from reading that tome at the age of 18 guided my actions over the following 12 years more than any professional education, counseling, or example. I even convinced myself that my deceased grandmother was watching over me in combat, preventing any harm to me, just as Col Hackworth pondered that his own grandmother had done for him. But something tells me that such glowing praise of Col Hackworth's philosophy on leadership would not win me much favor with most judges. The man had his flaws and there is some contention that some of what is in the book was embellished or false or overly self-serving - all very academic concerns, in my opinion. Nobody faults Aesop's Fables for being fiction. Likewise, About Face is chock full of good lessons, whether they are true stories or not.

Steve Blair
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
What kind of contest are they running...it doesn't say how much the prize is:D

Uh...you win the books on Hammes' reading list. Come on, Crockett....detect....;)

slapout9
08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Uh...you win the books on Hammes' reading list. Come on, Crockett....detect....;)

That is what confused me...I always follow the money:)

Jedburgh
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
How: Write and submit a short essay on the book that most changed or helped your career path.

What immediately came to mind....

Tom Odom
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
What immediately came to mind....

That can't be SGT Rock...his sleeves aren't shreaed and his biceps are too small

Besides he doesn't need a flame thrower for a single tank... he is the Rock. Not Duane what's his name.

Cavguy
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Just made my submission, based on “The Army and Vietnam” by Dr. Andrew Krepinevich.

Dr. Krepinevich’s book fundamentally altered the approach I took as a company commander during my second Iraq tour in 2006.

I have read few books in my life where reading the contents angered me. I found myself angry not at Dr. Krepinevich’s words, but because it often seemed I could simply strike “Vietnam” in the text and replace it with “Iraq” and the narrative would have been the same.

You'll see the rest if I win. :D

Entropy
09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Just made my submission, based on “The Army and Vietnam” by Dr. Andrew Krepinevich.

Here's to hoping you win then!

Tom Odom
09-05-2008, 12:04 AM

Andrew would be proud of you!