PDA

View Full Version : Corrective Training vs Punishment

Cavguy
09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Scott Andrew Ewing's article (http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/MilitaryReview/Archives/NewEnglish/Discipline_Punis_COIN.pdf) on "smoke sessions" is thought provoking and damning. Should set off some riots in the NCO corps.

My first reaction was negative, and then I re-read the article and had to give credit - the author has done his homework and made his case well, whether we fully agree with the practical effect of his conclusion. I will be interested to see the reactions in the NCO Corps. I thought the relation to COIN was a small stretch, but the overall paper is concise and well argued.

Just as comanders are responsible for the climate in their units,
so the Army as an institution is responsible for the moral climate it fosters.
In this article, I will outline some of the contradictions and ambiguities
in Army regulations (ARs) and field manuals (FMs) that make it difficult for
leaders to understand the distinction between corrective training and punishment.

I will argue that ARs, case law, the Office of the Inspector General,
and higher-echelon commanders have, nonetheless, made it clear that such
a distinction exists and must be respected. Failure to recognize and respect
this distinction can and often does lead to illegal abuses of authority. These
abuses of authority within the Army’s ranks, and the cultural undercurrents
that condone these patterns of behavior, cripple efforts to wage an effective
counterinsurgency (COIN) campaign by fostering a mentality of paternalistic
tyranny rather than good stewardship. The moral implications of this mentality
are neither consistent nor compatible with counterinsurgency doctrine,

.... an NCO who orders a Soldier to perform duties that are tantamount to punishment is giving an unlawful order.

My view is that commanders and NCOs are in some sense victims of a system that is highly resistant to change. I understand that it is difficult within the system to go against accepted cultural norms, but that is precisely why Army culture needs to be fundamentally changed and such changes subsequently supported at all levels.

There are three correlates with the assertions I have made thus far:

*The U.S. Army is culturally handicapped in its ability to occupy Iraq in a humane manner. The systemic acceptance of such illegal practices as “smoke
sessions” is part of a mind-set that has crippled our attempts to implement effective counterinsurgency campaigns.

*The regulations surrounding corrective training, punishment, and “smoke sessions” are confusing and need to be rewritten.

*The problem must first be fully understood by high-ranking officers. To this end, the Army ought to investigate this matter in a substantive way, and encourage Soldiers to candidly testify about these practices without fear of reprisal or prosecution.

reed11b
09-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Fantastic Article! Thank you for the link. I don't agree with it 100% but I think his main point is correct. I would also add that micro-management leads to reduced soldier initiative and moral. Worst I ever saw was a Quartermaster SM have a soldier hold a sign saying "No sunglasses may be worn on the head in chow hall" from an infantry unit. Did he have the right to tell the soldier to take them off his head? Yes, but not to initiate humiliation punishment for a soldier not in his unit while deployed in theatre! Nothing like CSM's in combat with nothing better to do then enforce uniform policy. How much was that uniform inspector paid compared to the soldier he corrected? I better step of my soapbox and take a tranquilizer.
Reed

120mm
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I've never been a big fan of externally applied discipline, or motivation.

Frankly, nothing beats internal discipline/motivation, and I believe the job of each and every leader is to develop that internal discipline/motivation in their subordinates.

Peer pressure and leading by example are two very good ways to do this, as is finding and developing an individuals' strengths, and putting them in a position to maximize those strengths in a way that benefits the organization.

I just departed a Reserve unit where I was "counselled" and "disciplined" as an O-5, for nonperformance, while I repeatedly attempted to leave the unit because I simply didn't have the time to contribute in the way they wanted me to.

I am now an extremely high performing member of another Reserve unit, doing the exact same thing I was supposed to do at the last unit. The primary difference is that the current chain of command listened to what I was saying, and was willing to work with me.

I like to refer to it as the "Dennis Rodman Effect". If you have a square peg, you can do everything you can to get it to fit in that round hole, or you can find a square hole it fits in.

Unfortunately, there is a strong tendency in the military to attack the square pegs because they are not round, and then whine and bitch (or lie) because there is nothing to fill the square holes with.

edited to add: Humiliation and inappropriate forms of punishment can contribute to soldiers "taking it out on" the population in a COIN fight. The example of the article of "smoking" soldiers for missing formation is counterproductive.

William F. Owen
09-08-2008, 06:03 AM
The most effective form of "external" discipline I ever saw, was by a CSM I had the honour to serve with who, if you were dressed improperly, for example, said "Go and change into civilian clothes. You can't be trusted to wear the uniform properly." On another occasion, when a soldier couldn't keep up on a not very demanding march, he assigned the man two men to help him carry his Bergen. - and they were to do so, whenever a tactical move was in progress. In fact, his whole attitude was to exclude men who could not perform. Shame, not humiliation, was and is the key. Men very much feared being excluded. I used the same basic approach when I was an NCO, and it worked. Boots not clean? Go and get your training shoes.

The most extreme example I ever heard of, was apparently the same CSM, actually sent two men on leave. "Go home. You're useless." I am not saying this is a complete cure, but it worked in a volunteer Army. I only ever saw this approach once, and IMO, it worked.

Ken White
09-08-2008, 06:32 AM
First, it's cyclical. Every war brings an increase in such events. By 1958, the practice was dying down in the Army; Viet Nam brought it back. Transition to the All Volunteer Force dropped it, the Gulf War and the movement of many Ranger qualified NCOs to even non-airborne units from Ranger units (where the practice has a life of its own) increased it. Hopefully, it'll again subside. It does need some local control.

Second; it's needed to an extent -- but sensibly. Officers do not need to do everything and a lot of stuff doesn't rise to the Article 15 level -- particularly when you're going to throw out perfectly good soldiers or Marines (or Sailors or Airmen; even Coasties...) who have a couple. I kept a kid in the barracks for 75 days once, totally illegal but it kept a good troop from getting a career ending Court Martial. So you need to have the capability and it doesn't need to be too finely delineated. That said, it does need careful watching by the senior NCOs and Officers in the Chain of Command. Make no mistake, either they know it happens and are ignoring it -- unless it gets out of hand or to prevent it from getting there -- or they shouldn't have their ranks...

Thirdly, the institution should acknowledge the practice (not codify it) and train the junior NCOs about what's acceptable and what is not (Noting that Congress passes the laws and is responsible for a lot of regulatory word smithing -- they're the ones that took NCOs out of the picture legally...).

We made a bad mistake in 1776 when Washington hired Von Steuben -- the Indian method of training Braves was far better, mentoring and no hectoring.

Still, combat does take a certain toughness and a certain amount of harassment in training is desirable; one should be careful not to eliminate everything, just pare the excesses -- which do occur -- and train people better.

A general comment on his article, I don't disagree with much of it and do agree that he cites some incidents that were overboard. However, his conclusions
"●●The U.S. Army is culturally handicapped in its
ability to occupy Iraq in a humane manner. The systemic
acceptance of such illegal practices as “smoke
sessions” is part of a mind-set that has crippled our
attempts to implement effective counterinsurgency
campaigns.
●● The regulations surrounding corrective training,
punishment, and “smoke sessions” are confusing
and need to be rewritten.
●●The problem must first be fully understood
by high-ranking officers. To this end, the Army
ought to investigate this matter in a substantive
way, and encourage Soldiers to candidly testify
about these practices without fear of reprisal or
prosecution."are, IMO, overkill. He's, it seems, taken a personal hangup and elevated to a massive diatribe. As to his conclusion themselves:

I have no doubt that the first has some validity but my suspicion the effect described is a significant overstatement.

I strongly disagree with the second; the army doesn't need idle and unnecessary harassment -- it needs more bureaucracy even less.

I disagree with the third; He's cited a problem (and at GREAT length, I might add...) -- good for him . However he's elevating it way out of proportion. All that's required is common sense, an acknowledgment of what's need, training -- and supervision.

Anthony Hoh
09-10-2008, 07:06 AM
I read the article and agree with other comments that it is well written and researched.
That said IMO the article itself is misguided. I got the impression that the author felt NCO's run smoke sessions on a whim outside thier inherent authority or justification. Looking at the time he spent in service (listed in the notes on the article, I think it was a four year enlistment) I doubt he got that far in the ranks, I dont say that as a slight, I say that to highlight the limited perspective one Soldier gets in one unit for four years. Is the line between on the spot corrections/ additional training blurry... sure. But I have never run a smoke session because I was bored or though it was funny, or out of an obligation to generations of Soldiers before me. I do it to maintain discipline and ultimately because I care for the troops in my charge. (sorry ,if that sounds dramatic but from my foxhole it is true). Giving a physical challenge to my Soldiers in lieu of UCMJ is a lot like correcting my own children. I don’t want to do it, I love and care for them both, but it is necessary for their development, and in my mind looks out more for their welfare in both cases.

For example:

You have a young Soldier E-1/E-4 who leaves his weapon at a training site. Should I recommend UCMJ punishment? Okay, he is 21 married with two kids, what am I signing him up for? He loses pay, so he can’t meet financial obligations without the embarrassing process of AER and ACS loans and grants. Not to mention the time lost by his Squad Leader and PSG in Trial Defense Service appt's., loan application forms, and “special time" with the Commander and 1SG. The Soldier also loses time with his family as he performs extra duty.

Or, should I disassemble his weapon, giving one piece to each NCO in the platoon. The Soldier accepts a physical challenge from each NCO as he reassembles his weapon piece by piece, painful...yes, but he won’t forget his weapon again, plus it still serves as a reminder to other Soldiers who witness that proper accountability for equipment is important.

If I received UCMJ every time I stepped on my own crank while growing up in the Army I would probably still have not received a pay check (16 years later), and might find the need to extend my term of service to complete my extra duty! I needed discipline.

Thankfully I had NCO's who smoked the ever living crap out of me, when I screwed up. As I went to the promotion board for SSG I had no blemishes on my records of recorded UCMJ proceedings.

Soon technology will not be able to overcome the soft underbelly of the Nintendo generation:(

Somebody needs to give responsible tough love, if you don’t have the cajones to do it, or that hurts your sense of morality/justice then kindly step aside.

Uboat509
09-10-2008, 09:36 AM
This article does a pretty good job of highlighting a significant problem the Army has. Unfortunately, it is not the one the author was trying to highlight. It is the annoying tendency of the Army to misidentify a problem or to overreact to a problem. In this article it is an issue of,there are individuals abusing a given system so therefore the solution must be to change the system. That way the few individuals who are abusing the system can no longer abuse it nor can the majority who were not abusing it use it either. This is a particular pet peeve of mine. This is why we have clearing barrels outside of all of out buildings in Iraq and Afghanistan, because it is easier to to simply take the bullets away then to ensure that our soldiers can safely carry a weapon (warrior ethos my @#$).

This article may be well argued from a legal stand-point, as far as what reg says what but it does little to deal with the realities of day to day operations. First, "smoke sessions" work. They can be an extremely effective tool. The author never even addresses that fact, preferring to reference a few egregious examples of abuse of the system in a transparent attempt to paint the whole system as corrupt. Is this tool appropriate for every situation? Of course not. There are no one size fits all solutions out there, and we all know that but there are plenty of situations out there where it is appropriate, such as the example Anthony pointed out. There is also what I take to be an elitist undertone throughout this article. There is an implication that NCOs are either too prone to abuse to be able use this system effectively or are too uneducated (I found this statement to be particularly offensive, If smoke sessions are to be prohibited, they should be prohibited explicitly, using the vernacular of the enlisted Soldiers to whom these issues are relevant. "You gots to dumb it down for them enlisted guys or they won't git it.") Bottom line, NCOs are expected to keep order and discipline but they need effective tools to do so and "you do what I tell you or I'm going to go run and get an officer," is not one of those tools.

SFC W

reed11b
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
First, it's cyclical. Every war brings an increase in such events. By 1958, the practice was dying down in the Army; Viet Nam brought it back. Transition to the All Volunteer Force dropped it, the Gulf War and the movement of many Ranger qualified NCOs to even non-airborne units from Ranger units (where the practice has a life of its own) increased it. Hopefully, it'll again subside. It does need some local control.

Ironically my experience is exactly the opposite. During peace-time, the wannabe Rangers and wound-too-tight-around-the-axles NCO’s overused “smoking” and public humiliation for minor infringements on regs. During war-time, the wannabes were not so gung-ho to harass a soldier w/ a loaded weapon and the wound-tight-around-the-axles NCO’s were either in hot water w/ command or had been sent home. I wonder if a focus on actual leadership ability for promotion to sergeant would help. Knowing weapon’s ranges and weights and nomenclatures are important, but that should be a requirement for promotion to E-2/3/4 not to NCO. Just a thought,
Reed

Ken White
09-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Ironically my experience is exactly the opposite. During peace-time, the wannabe Rangers and wound-too-tight-around-the-axles NCO’s overused “smoking” and public humiliation for minor infringements on regs. During war-time, the wannabes were not so gung-ho to harass a soldier w/ a loaded weapon and the wound-tight-around-the-axles NCO’s were either in hot water w/ command or had been sent home.The post Viet Nam period was a long peacetime spell where a lot of bad habits grew and DS/DS wasn't long enough to break the cycle.

Consider also that given a war, there's less time -- and tolerance -- for mundane BS. I've never seen good NCOs back down from squaring away a troop who needed it regardless of said troops weapons possession. Or said troop's attitude...

Hacksaw
09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
but I'll start talking anyhow...

Disclaimer upfront... I'm a retired officer, no prior enlisted time, but grew up learning tough love from father and coaches alike

"smoking sessions" done properly is without a doubt an effective and useful tool. It should not be removed from an NCO's bag of tricks. done poorly, not so much, but it calls into question the qualities of the NCO and not the tool.

That said three short snipets...

1st field exercise after taking command... walking the perimeter with 1SG also new to the battery... three PSG come up and want me to make a decision that had no business making it to top much less me? After a moments thought, I asked "do you really want to invite me that deep into your business? I have no problem making the call on this but you will never get me back out of your business" In the mean time TOP demonstrated his patriotic nature and managed to turn his face red, white, and blue. This is the level of stuff that i think smoking is appropriate...

I'm on a mission to FT Hood (already retired over a year), traffic stops and retreat is played, I like everyone else has stopped to pay respects to the colors, reminds me why I liked being a soldier. After retreat is complete, I turn to reenter my vehicle and I spot an NCO in range walk mode moving towards a bus full of young soldiers in PT gear. He enters the bus, pulls the senior occupant (if I recall a SPC), and delivers an exceptionally loud and detailed description of the SPC's failings as a leader for allowing those in his charge to ignore/play grab a$$ during retreat. God it felt good to be around soliders again and hear a truly professional a$$ chewing...

Last but not least, my daughter received a detention at school for some minor infraction of student handbook. Her basketball team practiced from 0600-0800 each morning. Her detention would be served in the afternoon, but as part of the punishment she was prohibited from participating in practice that morning. I discussed the situation with her coach and mentioned that I thought rather than allowing my daughter to sleep in as a result of acting a fool - it might be better if instead she show up to practice and run bleachers for the duration of practice. I practice what I preach, she learned far better than if she had slept in and done homework in a controlled environment for an hour after school.

Live well and row

reed11b
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I've never seen good NCOs back down from squaring away a troop who needed it regardless of said troops weapons possession. Or said troop's attitude...

I think that's the crux of the matter. Most "smoking" sessions I have seen have had little to do w/ "squaring" anyone away. Punishments for accidents that the NCO themselves helped to set the conditions for, or minor rule infractions; "HOLY MACKERAL PRIVATE!!! YOUR BOOTLACE IS UNTUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do 100 push-ups for being 8 up!" etc. Most "squaring" away with any sort of dedicated soldier can be done respectfully and verbally. Hey, soldier, you need to tuck in your bootlace. Has anyone shown you how to use a blousing band?" Yes, there are definitely times when an infraction needs serious immediate consequences (i.e. "smoking") but should not result in UCMJ. However, I have seen too many E-5s that arrived at there rank due to having a good PT score and some wrote memorization skills, and think that screaming and yelling = leadership to have the same blind faith that the NCO corp. can self regulate effectively. I have also made soldiers do pushups as a team-leader, before anyone asks; and I will continue to use that particular motivational tool in the future.
Reed

Kiwigrunt
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Push-ups are no longer allowed (as 'correctional' of course, rather than PT or sport) in NZ forces. Not PC..............So now they make them do 'up-and-downs'; that'll learn them!:rolleyes:

Ken White
09-11-2008, 12:21 AM
I think that's the crux of the matter. Most "smoking" sessions I have seen have had little to do w/ "squaring" anyone away. Punishments for accidents that the NCO themselves helped to set the conditions for, or minor rule infractions; "HOLY MACKERAL PRIVATE!!! YOUR BOOTLACE IS UNTUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do 100 push-ups for being 8 up!" etc...units and NCOs -- or that is beyond overstatement. :D
However, I have seen too many E-5s that arrived at there rank due to having a good PT score and some wrote memorization skills, and think that screaming and yelling = leadership to have the same blind faith that the NCO corp. can self regulate effectively.It's not blind faith nor is it ten or 12 years experience, it's a lifetime of being, doing and watching. Frankly, those things you cite do not happen in good units. I'm sorry you experienced that and I guess that's where a lot of the negativity comes from but, while certainly such bad incidents have happened in the past, do now and will occur, I contend they're the exception rather than the rule. Supervision is needed, no question. Good NCOs provide it.
I have also made soldiers do pushups as a team-leader, before anyone asks; and I will continue to use that particular motivational tool in the future.I've never dropped a man for a pushup nor have I ever seen that as a good tool for much of anything. No number of pushups will clean a dirty weapon or latrine...

ADDED: I flat forbade anyone who worked for me directly to use pushups as a tool and also discouraged it in NCOs who worked in subordinate units by insisting that they get down and knock 'em out one for one with Joe.

reed11b
09-11-2008, 02:43 AM
100 push-ups for untucked bootlace would be an exageration but I have had NCO's drop soldiers in my team for 30-50 pushups for BDU chest pocket unbuttoned (soldier took a lot of notes), boot strings untucked and dirty boots. Not ok when you are not the soldiers TL, SL or PltSgt. Correct the soldier and I (as the TL) will determine if more needs to be done. As far as a smoking as soldier for an NCO created situation real life story - In New Orleans after Katrina, a young PFC is told to drive a 5t down a narrow road that had been washed out. PFC states he does not think the truck will make it. E-6 syas just follow me, and leads in Humvee. Shoulder of road gives out under 5t on 5t gets stuck. E6 proceeds to smoke PFC for 2 1/2 hours while waiting for a wrecker. PFC was not in my team but it P.Oed me all to heck when I found out about it anyway. Even when "smoking" is warranted, there is usually another way. Even in the examples given, there were non-humiliation means of addressing the problem. Screaming does not equal leading.
Reed

Ken White
09-11-2008, 04:29 AM
100 push-ups for untucked bootlace would be an exageration but I have had NCO's drop soldiers in my team for 30-50 pushups for BDU chest pocket unbuttoned (soldier took a lot of notes), boot strings untucked and dirty boots.Sounds like an or some NCOs with too little to do to me. What did you do about it?
Not ok when you are not the soldiers TL, SL or PltSgt. Correct the soldier and I (as the TL) will determine if more needs to be done.Agreed.

jkm_101_fso
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
NCOs are good at smoking and Soldiers are good at PT. A match made in heaven! OK, just kidding. I'm an prior service officer and was smoked many times as a young Soldier. I deserved every single one.

I will echo the sentiments of others on this thread by saying getting smoked is better than losing pay, doing extra duty or even getting it on paper. That is pretty indisputable.

As a LT, there was only one instance where I had to stop an NCO from a smoke session. It wasn't because it was harsh or anything of that nature, but his timing was terrible. The BDE CDR was giving my BN a "Pep talk" prior to our deployment and this NCO decided that his Soldier nodding off needed some motivation to stay awake. I simply asked him not to interrupt the BDE CDR and wait until he left.

For every 99 NCOs that are mature and competent and would never abuse this type of corrective punishment, there is one who will. That's life. I wouldn't advocate eliminating smoke sessions, because of that.

In regards to COIN, I don't buy the theory that if we smoke our Soldiers, they would in turn treat the HN civs cruely. It comes back to leadership. Soldiers behave and perform primarily based on the conditions established by their leadership, from TL to BN CDR. I saw many Soldiers smoked in OIF for various things go out on missions treat Iraqis with dignity and respect. They were mature enough to make the separation. But then again, our unit had good leaders who fostered and promoted that environment.

Eden
09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Leadership techniques have to vary according to circumstance and audience. Mr. Ewing apparently comes from the school that believes 'one size fits all' and that enforcing Army policy trumps leaders employing common sense, military judgment, and effective techniques. My first platoon was filled with poorly-educated, drug-drenched, ambitionless thugs - back in the day when it was nearly impossible to chapter out poor performers. By the time I assumed company command, the majority of those folks were gone, replaced by brighter, better educated troops eager for promotion (God Bless Ronald Reagan). Guess what? We had to use different ways to motivate different kinds of troops.

By the time I assumed battalion command, I had an NCO Corps that had forgotten how to motive the unmotivated - the Army had made getting rid of poor soldiers so easy that working with them (or working them over) was too much trouble. I am glad, in a sense, that the NCOs have rediscovered the wonderful talent for imaginative correction.

I've always thought that the perfect punishment (for me anyways) was walking the area at West Point. It was so humiliating, painful, and utterly pointless that a dozen hours of it was more than enough to motivate me to comply with West Point standards (at least until I was eligible for room con).

120mm
09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Note to self: Before you adversely counsel someone, make sure they aren't armed. Or able to beat your *ss.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/09/army_fragging_092208w/

selil
09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Just from the articles narrative I can already see the "self defense" argument. This will be on the national news pretty darn quick.

Norfolk
09-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Army Times:

Neither Dawson nor Durbin was wearing body armor, helmet or other protective gear during the counseling, and each was shot multiple times.

Wait for the rocket that sees everyone having to wear full body armor whilst conducting an in-theatre counselling session. And don't forget the armed MP detachment that will have to be present, just to be sure that everything is (legally and procedurally) kopacetic.:wry:

Tom Odom
09-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Army Times:

Wait for the rocket that sees everyone having to wear full body armor whilst conducting an in-theatre counselling session. And don't forget the armed MP detachment that will have to be present, just to be sure that everything is (legally and procedurally) kopacetic.:wry:

And the reflective safety belt...

Don't forget the safety belt! :D

Cavguy
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
And the reflective safety belt...

Don't forget the safety belt! :D

From the "OIF Alphabet"

120mm
09-25-2008, 09:25 PM
From the "OIF Alphabet"

What??? No link???

reed11b
09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
What??? No link???
LINKS AWAY!!! (http://www.oss.net/dynamaster/file_archive/070106/278da807df238f845a0cd93863d9fa27/OIFAlphabetpt1.ppt#263,1,Slide 1)

More (http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/funnystuff/OIF%20Alphabet%202%2016%20May%2006.ppt#256,1,Slide 1)

Even better (http://www.chairforce.com/CHAFE_07/fun/files/reflective-moments.pps#256,1,Great moments in reflective belt history)

Cavguy
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Reed,

This one got me. I hate to say it, but is unfortunately more reflective (pun) of the CSM's I've had (with a few exceptions).

Good stuff. The army is crazy on reflectiveness.

JAG Major
03-28-2009, 01:53 AM
I read the article and agree with other comments that it is well written and researched.
That said IMO the article itself is misguided. I got the impression that the author felt NCO's run smoke sessions on a whim outside thier inherent authority or justification. Looking at the time he spent in service (listed in the notes on the article, I think it was a four year enlistment) I doubt he got that far in the ranks, I dont say that as a slight, I say that to highlight the limited perspective one Soldier gets in one unit for four years. Is the line between on the spot corrections/ additional training blurry... sure. But I have never run a smoke session because I was bored or though it was funny, or out of an obligation to generations of Soldiers before me. I do it to maintain discipline and ultimately because I care for the troops in my charge. (sorry ,if that sounds dramatic but from my foxhole it is true). Giving a physical challenge to my Soldiers in lieu of UCMJ is a lot like correcting my own children. I don’t want to do it, I love and care for them both, but it is necessary for their development, and in my mind looks out more for their welfare in both cases.

For example:

You have a young Soldier E-1/E-4 who leaves his weapon at a training site. Should I recommend UCMJ punishment? Okay, he is 21 married with two kids, what am I signing him up for? He loses pay, so he can’t meet financial obligations without the embarrassing process of AER and ACS loans and grants. Not to mention the time lost by his Squad Leader and PSG in Trial Defense Service appt's., loan application forms, and “special time" with the Commander and 1SG. The Soldier also loses time with his family as he performs extra duty.

Or, should I disassemble his weapon, giving one piece to each NCO in the platoon. The Soldier accepts a physical challenge from each NCO as he reassembles his weapon piece by piece, painful...yes, but he won’t forget his weapon again, plus it still serves as a reminder to other Soldiers who witness that proper accountability for equipment is important.

If I received UCMJ every time I stepped on my own crank while growing up in the Army I would probably still have not received a pay check (16 years later), and might find the need to extend my term of service to complete my extra duty! I needed discipline.

Thankfully I had NCO's who smoked the ever living crap out of me, when I screwed up. As I went to the promotion board for SSG I had no blemishes on my records of recorded UCMJ proceedings.

Soon technology will not be able to overcome the soft underbelly of the Nintendo generation:(

Somebody needs to give responsible tough love, if you don’t have the cajones to do it, or that hurts your sense of morality/justice then kindly step aside.
The Military Justice system, when properly applied, gives a great deal of latitude to the commander in determining the proper punishment, without depriving the Soldier of his due process. In the example about the Soldier who leaves his weapon at a training site, the commander could come up with a form of corrective training that is genuinely intended to improve the Soldier’s performance without appearing punitive.

An example of corrective training versus punishment is: you have a Soldier who is continually late to formation. Having him pitch a tent in front of the orderly room for a month so that he is accounted for is punishment. Having him report to the 1SG’s office 15 minutes before formation is corrective training. Having him do push-ups is pretty much worthless. If you were the Soldier, which would get your attention without souring your view towards the unit?

I had a 1SG in Saudi who needed to have his vehicles cleaned. Whenever Soldiers committed misconduct of any type, he would punish them by having them clean the vehicles all day. When I explained the whole punishment/corrective training distinction to him, he explained that the Soldier, by committing an alleged offense, showed inattention to detail. “That’s why I’m correctively training him by having him detail the trucks.”

In addition or instead of corrective training, the commander could issue a local letter of reprimand. It would stay in the Soldier’s file until he PCS’s, and might effectively get his attention without affecting his permanent record. If he decides to administer an Article 15, he could suspend the punishment, so that the Soldier does not lose pay or rank until/unless he steps on it again. Or he could impose an Article 15 with no punishment (except the Article 15 itself). If the Soldier is an E4 with no previous Article 15’s, he can get one freebie that no board will ever see.

Although I am sympathetic to Soldiers whose minor misconduct causes financial problems due to being married with kids, I don’t like to see two Soldiers commit the same offense only to have the married one get a break because of the second order effects. I would not want to be the commander who “correctively trains” the first Soldier who leaves a weapon at a training site, then has to punish another Soldier who leaves his weapon at a training site after the Brigade commander locks down the unit trying to track down the weapon.

Although commanders and NCO’s often think that they are doing a Soldier a favor by punishing him “off the record,” this creates a potential for a lot of abuse. Before a Soldier can receive a company grade Article 15 or greater, he receives the benefit of counsel. If the charges cannot be substantiated, the TDS attorney can likely prevent the Soldier from receiving the punishment. Also, before receiving an Article 15, a Soldier can present witnesses on his behalf, make a statement, or turn down the Article 15. Additionally, he can appeal whatever punishment is given. If a first line supervisor decides to mete out punishment as he sees fit, he really isn’t doing anyone a favor.
MAJ White, ILE student, Fort Belvoir

jmm99
03-28-2009, 03:31 AM
You'll be soooo-rrrr-ry. :D

Ken White
03-28-2009, 04:11 AM
had gotta be okay. I like your name, too... ;)

Welcome aboard -- good post BTW. As you say, it only takes a little thought to do it right. Thanks also for pointing out that breaks for married guys are not a good thing (We do not need to tell my wife I said that... :D ).

JMM only says you'll be sorry 'cause he's also frequently admitted to a bar (or something like that) being another Counsellor type -- and I pick on Lawyers. However, not to worry, only once a week...

Uboat509
03-28-2009, 05:48 AM
An example of corrective training versus punishment is: you have a Soldier who is continually late to formation. Having him pitch a tent in front of the orderly room for a month so that he is accounted for is punishment. Having him report to the 1SG’s office 15 minutes before formation is corrective training. Having him do push-ups is pretty much worthless. If you were the Soldier, which would get your attention without souring your view towards the unit?

Which would be why we try things like having the soldier report early before we had him move into the yard.

In addition or instead of corrective training, the commander could issue a local letter of reprimand. It would stay in the Soldier’s file until he PCS’s, and might effectively get his attention without affecting his permanent record. If he decides to administer an Article 15, he could suspend the punishment, so that the Soldier does not lose pay or rank until/unless he steps on it again. Or he could impose an Article 15 with no punishment (except the Article 15 itself). If the Soldier is an E4 with no previous Article 15’s, he can get one freebie that no board will ever see.

So you can spend hours generating steaming piles of paperwork in order to punish somebody for something that could have been handled in a few minutes? Letter of Reprimand for a Joe? Really? LOIs mean a lot to NCOs. It could be a career killer. To Joe it is just a piece paper. The Joes who do care about such things, aren't typically the ones who need to be punished.

Although I am sympathetic to Soldiers whose minor misconduct causes financial problems due to being married with kids, I don’t like to see two Soldiers commit the same offense only to have the married one get a break because of the second order effects. I would not want to be the commander who “correctively trains” the first Soldier who leaves a weapon at a training site, then has to punish another Soldier who leaves his weapon at a training site after the Brigade commander locks down the unit trying to track down the weapon.

Except that while you are trying to adhere to some kind of standard of fairness you can potentially create a situations that is patently unfair. Let's take the hypothetical case you mentioned. Take two soldiers, same rank, same TIS same past record and the same offense. Both get the same Article 15 and lose money. Now the unmarried still has a place to live and food. For the month that he lost money he had to be a barracks rat but now that is over and he is back to being the same soldier he was before. The married guy still has to pay rent and buy food for himself and his family. Since he he didn't get his full paycheck he has to let something else slip to get those things. Now he gets behind which turns into a downward spiral of debt and a few months later he is back in front of the commander's desk, this time for debt problems. Now, was the punishment equal and fair?

Of course I am not saying that you should never give an article 15 to a married soldier. That would be ridiculous, like saying that you always need to treat married and unmarried soldiers the same regardless of the second order effects. Every case is unique and has to be dealt with according to the facts as they exist with that case at that time.

Although commanders and NCO’s often think that they are doing a Soldier a favor by punishing him “off the record,” this creates a potential for a lot of abuse.

I can't think of a system that can't be abused. I have always detested the concept of denying something that is proven to be effective because a few might abuse it. This is effectively telling NCOs that they cannot be trusted and the power to punish must only reside with the officers.

Before a Soldier can receive a company grade Article 15 or greater, he receives the benefit of counsel. If the charges cannot be substantiated, the TDS attorney can likely prevent the Soldier from receiving the punishment. Also, before receiving an Article 15, a Soldier can present witnesses on his behalf, make a statement, or turn down the Article 15. Additionally, he can appeal whatever punishment is given.

Exactly. It is a long slow difficult process that is inappropriate for most of the minor offenses that would have been handled internally.

If a first line supervisor decides to mete out punishment as he sees fit, he really isn’t doing anyone a favor.

Now that really is in the eye of the beholder.

SFC W

selil
03-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Although commanders and NCO’s often think that they are doing a Soldier a favor by punishing him “off the record,” this creates a potential for a lot of abuse. Before a Soldier can receive a company grade Article 15 or greater, he receives the benefit of counsel. If the charges cannot be substantiated, the TDS attorney can likely prevent the Soldier from receiving the punishment. Also, before receiving an Article 15, a Soldier can present witnesses on his behalf, make a statement, or turn down the Article 15. Additionally, he can appeal whatever punishment is given. If a first line supervisor decides to mete out punishment as he sees fit, he really isn’t doing anyone a favor.

A great example of the continued divergence between social responsibility (group dynamics and social cohesion) and legal construction (extraneous rule set and arbitrary decisions).

In polarity of cases (likely neither reality):

Case 1: NCO engages in off the books punishment to build unit cohesion, resulting in an effective disciplined fighting force, that sustains soldiers and saves lives. Some soldiers kicked to the curb as unfit.

Case 2: Soldier engages in legal posturing to escape punishment eroding unit cohesion and as a direct result impacts the effectiveness of training and unit camaraderie engendering distrust and likeliness of discipline break down in combat. Some soldiers remain regardless of suitability.

I'm not a fan of lawyer in the loop.

Lawfare is as much a social, moral, ambiguous, construction and inherently flawed as the insatiable monster of Wall Street. Lawfare is not part of the social or moral fabric of conflict and does not reflect the necessities of that conflict. As a conflict construction it really seems to have gotten legs during World War 1 & 2, but only recently has infected the command level since the Vietnam War.

I have a tendency to reject the tenets of "War Crimes" as only the victor has the ability to inflict the will of criminal prosecution. As such prosecution under duress will always be suspect (aka Saddam Hussein or if you will Nuremberg). Most military investigations of combat incidents involve disenfranchised suspects who are rarely given the resources of defense as much as told the results of investigations and requisite punishments. Not unlike the public defense or indigent criminal suspects in the civilian world.

Given the arbitrage of restricted punishment meted out by the worst NCO in the honest pursuit of unit discipline and cohesion versus the form filled fantasies of human resource application lawyers I will back the NCO every time.

It's always about making war not paper work.

William F. Owen
03-28-2009, 11:49 AM
A great example of the continued divergence between social responsibility (group dynamics and social cohesion) and legal construction (extraneous rule set and arbitrary decisions).

In polarity of cases (likely neither reality):

Case 1: NCO engages in off the books punishment to build unit cohesion, resulting in an effective disciplined fighting force, that sustains soldiers and saves lives. Some soldiers kicked to the curb as unfit.

Case 2: Soldier engages in legal posturing to escape punishment eroding unit cohesion and as a direct result impacts the effectiveness of training and unit camaraderie engendering distrust and likeliness of discipline break down in combat. Some soldiers remain regardless of suitability.

I'm not a fan of lawyer in the loop.

Lawfare is as much a social, moral, ambiguous, construction and inherently flawed as the insatiable monster of Wall Street. Lawfare is not part of the social or moral fabric of conflict and does not reflect the necessities of that conflict. As a conflict construction it really seems to have gotten legs during World War 1 & 2, but only recently has infected the command level since the Vietnam War.

I have a tendency to reject the tenets of "War Crimes" as only the victor has the ability to inflict the will of criminal prosecution. As such prosecution under duress will always be suspect (aka Saddam Hussein or if you will Nuremberg). Most military investigations of combat incidents involve disenfranchised suspects who are rarely given the resources of defense as much as told the results of investigations and requisite punishments. Not unlike the public defense or indigent criminal suspects in the civilian world.

Given the arbitrage of restricted punishment meted out by the worst NCO in the honest pursuit of unit discipline and cohesion versus the form filled fantasies of human resource application lawyers I will back the NCO every time.

It's always about making war not paper work.

That's hard-biting sense I can sign up to. Good job!

ODB
03-28-2009, 07:07 PM
is figuring out the dynamics of your soldiers. You just have to figure out what works for those soldiers under you. Some soldiers a stern whisper get's their attention. Some need it on paper. Some learn through muscle memory. Some learn through corrective action. There is no end all be all answer. That is the part not covered. Everyone reacts differently to outside motivators. The important part is realizing what method works for those under you to correct soldiers individually. Sometimes it takes peer pressure. Personally my number one rule is how can I punish someone for something if I did not train him and show him how to do it properly, what my expectations are. For most this knowing how to handle individuals comes with maturity and experience. Unfortunately in the days of automatic promotions and increasingly younger leaders some feel the effects.

Schmedlap
03-29-2009, 03:48 AM
Although I am sympathetic to Soldiers whose minor misconduct causes financial problems due to being married with kids, I don’t like to see two Soldiers commit the same offense only to have the married one get a break because of the second order effects.
When dealing with complaints from within the ranks about "fairness," I am generally one of those who thinks the proper response is, "STFU and quit whining." In this case, I think JAG Major has a good point. It just depends upon when one uses the advice.

If I were to punish single Soldier A with 14 days loss of pay and then a week later married Soldier B commits the same offense and I'm concerned about the financial hardship upon his family, then I'm thinking about this too late in the game. The correct course of action would be, when I was mulling over the punishment for Soldier A, to have asked myself, "if this Soldier were married and had kids, would I be willing to dole out this punishment?" If the answer is no, then I should have thought of a different punishment for Soldier A. Then, when Soldier B commits the same offense, I can dole out the same punishment for the same offense without reservation.

tankersteve
03-29-2009, 04:11 AM
JAG Major,

Sorry, your answer is part of the problem, not the solution. :wry:

The UCMJ process has gone overboard in its attempts to protect the miscreant from what he deserves. We are not in a draft army, where every congressman needs to react whenever a constituent complains that his nephew or granddaughter was abused by the all-powerful draft-based army. Our Soldiers are volunteers and they are (or need to be) prepared to be treated like adults.

We have created a system where (yes, here it comes... wait for it) the 5% of Soldiers, the undisciplined, don't care, Mommy didn't wipe their noses enough bunch, take up 90% of the time of the unit leadership. Paperwork, escorts, appointments, etc.

Leaders, NCOs and officers alike, need to ensure the punishments going to their Soldiers, are appropriate (perhaps not fitting the regulation but deserved and fair). Even as the unit commander, I had a feel for who was getting some extra time doing 'corrective' training, related to his offense or not. And I knew which of my junior leaders needed more watching to ensure it wasn't going to get outside of the 'appropriate' limitation.

The real issue is our legal system. Who is the proponent of the legal system? The lawyers! Who ensures the lawyers are doing what is right and is the primary disciplining force for the lawyers? The Bar! What does this lead to? The answer is 'more laws/codes/regulations/restrictions to cover more situations'. I smell a self-licking ice cream cone.

As was previously stated, there isn't a system that can't be abused, but we could probably try and make one. However, it would be totally ineffective in ensuring good order and discipline in a military formation because you will have taken authority away from everyone in the formation who needs to have it and it would no longer be of any use in a military sense.

Anyone truly abusing his power is bound to be found out in this day and time. Joe isn't going to take it and knows how to get the word out, through official and backdoor channels. The idea that we can remove more power from our junior leaders, demonstrate less trust in their judgment and leadership, and expect them to then lead effectively in combat is silly.

War has brought the military back to focusing on what is important - winning the war. The resistance to allowing common sense and trust of subordinates to come back into our daily operations is the fight we all face.

Tankersteve

Courtney Massengale
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM

This goes beyond Squad Leaders using pushups instead of counseling; we're creating Commanders and CSMs who use Administrative Action in lieu of Non-Judicial Punishment. Why? Because its faster, has less oversight and does more damage in many cases.

For example, I had a scenario where a male E-4 (P) and a female E-4 went out and did some things they shouldn't have. As a result of those actions, prior to UCMJ, the male E-4 was withdrawn from the promotion list. While effectively a reduction in rank, it was an administrative action which the Soldier was not entitled to the benefits of TDS; only Legal Assistance.

Likewise, when we have to relieve an individual from a position, regardless of the circumstances, we're arguably doing more to damage their career than an Article 15 with no reduction in rank. Once again, the Soldier isn't entitled to the benefit of TDS or other aspects of due process since Relief For Cause is an Administrative Action.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there aren't cases where this is warranted and fully believe in the need for due process. But to echo many of the other comments, the UCMJ system has become so cumbersome and toothless that perfectly sanctioned – but still irresponsible – actions are becoming favored when its time to send a message.

To tie it all in to warfighting, it helps develop a mentality that addresses the short term issue "How do I get rid of this problem" rather than looking at the long term consequences of decisions. It trains leaders to do the most convenient thing rather than think about what the right thing really is.

Anthony Hoh
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
The Military Justice system, when properly applied, gives a great deal of latitude to the commander in determining the proper punishment, without depriving the Soldier of his due process. In the example about the Soldier who leaves his weapon at a training site, the commander could come up with a form of corrective training that is genuinely intended to improve the Soldier’s performance without appearing punitive.

A couple of quick questions...
1. How is the punishment that I have decided not able to improve that Soldiers performance in regards to accounting for his weapon?
2. Exactly when should I go to my Commander to decide when I need to do some form of corrective training, i.e. should I bother the boss when Joe doesn’t shave?
3. Finally why would a Commander not want to appear punitive for a Soldier forgetting his weapon?

I dont see where we diverge on this, my corrective training is formed around that Soldier retaining his weapon by earning each piece back. If the Soldier was late I would not send him to each NCO in the platoon to come up with some form of physical challenge. His corrective training would be time oriented. Again, I dont think it would require the 1SG or Commander to make this happen.

I had a 1SG in Saudi who needed to have his vehicles cleaned. Whenever Soldiers committed misconduct of any type, he would punish them by having them clean the vehicles all day. When I explained the whole punishment/corrective training distinction to him, he explained that the Soldier, by committing an alleged offense, showed inattention to detail. “That’s why I’m correctively training him by having him detail the trucks.”

Okay this is exactly where we diverge! I am with the 1SG on this. I had a PSG that could turn any offense into a 12 mile road march. i.e. You forget to shave...Okay, you shave at the start point the 6 mile point and the finish point. No this was not for first time offenders but if failing to shave became a habit this was what was in store. Additionally form my side of this professional Army, dont underestimate the power of corrective training on display, it helps the unit as a whole.

Sir I am familiar with the flexibility the commander has with UCMJ, but I think you are missing the thrust of my post. I can handle corrective training in a responsible manner that IMO is better for the Soldier, and the unit. LOR's dont get posted on the Company billboard, an LOR for a junior Soldier is the reverse of the BDE Commander having his BC do push-ups when he is late to a meeting.

I dont see me taking the Soldier marital status in to consideration as something wrong, second and third order effects could actually lead to more punishment for the Soldier than was intended. Additionally, I also factor in the overall hooah vis a vie the dirt baggyness of the troop in question. Similar to the Commanders discretion on dealing out different punishments for the same offense. There is obviously no cookie cutter solutions. And getting the Unit locked down would obviously incur more wrath than someone else in the Company finding the Soldier weapon and returning it to me.

I think I see the point you are trying to make, but I respectfully disagree. If I involved my Commander for every punishable offense under the UCMJ we would not be able to conduct any other business. Their are certain things that I do for my Commander in a responsible manner that help maintain good order and discipline in the unit, and he is happy for it.

JAG Major
03-31-2009, 02:28 AM
You guys are a tough audience!

I agree with ODB that an effective NCO/Officer knows what is going to work with the particular Soldier in the particular situation and deals with it accordingly. Most of the NCOs and Officers that I have worked with over the years are very good at fixing fixable misconduct.

I think that we all agree that the ideal end is that the Soldier stops the misconduct, he learns his lesson, he suffers for it if the misconduct warrants it, or he can recover without negative paperwork or other longterm effects if the situation warrants that.

The key point that I am trying to make is that corrective training is fine and necessary, while punishment without due process is not. Although some of the posters believe that JAG involvement just muddies the waters, I give the commanders the full range of options available, my idea of the pros and cons of each, and then execute what they think is the best COA. There are certainly situations where a Soldier can be brought into line without UCMJ action. If the first line supervisor uses the right amount of corrective training, he can make sure that the Soldier learns his lesson, does not want to mess up again, and stays the course.

When I was in basic training, Drill Sergeants were able to use many highly effective techniques to ensure that we wanted to do whatever it took to make them happy. With few exceptions, they did it without passing the corrective training/punishment line.

Uboat509
03-31-2009, 04:03 AM
The argument, as I understand it, is that if NCOs are given the power to punish then Joe will not have the chance for legal counsel before the punishment is administered. Of course, the types of infractions that we are generally talking about don't rate an article 15 so the concept of corrective training is invented. Corrective training is administered as a consequence of something Joe did or failed to do. Punishment is administered as a consequence of something that Joe did or failed to do. The difference seems to be in how you word it.

The key point that I am trying to make is that corrective training is fine and necessary, while punishment without due process is not.

I'm confused, what due process are you talking about? Are you suggesting that every time an NCO needs to administer corrective training he has to consult with JAG?

Although some of the posters believe that JAG involvement just muddies the waters, I give the commanders the full range of options available, my idea of the pros and cons of each, and then execute what they think is the best COA. There are certainly situations where a Soldier can be brought into line without UCMJ action.

Which would be the overwhelming majority of situations. Every good commander I have ever had had essentially the same philosophy. If you come before him for Non-Judicial punishment he will max you out because either you have done something so bad (ie DUI) that you are brought directly to his desk or you have been dealt with repeatedly by his NCOs and are still bound and determined to do the wrong thing. The point was that bringing a soldier before the commander was the last resort. He depended on his NCOs to maintain order and discipline within the unit.

SFC W

Courtney Massengale
03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Punishment is administered as a consequence of something that Joe did or failed to do. The difference seems to be in how you word it.

And this is a very important point. "Punishment" is a specific legal term and can only be generated from nonjudicial or judicial process. If you do something as corrective training that would meet the criteria for "punishment", you will create a much larger issue should you proceed with judicial/nonjudicial punishement later.

The classic example is that if you put restrictions on liberty as corrective training, it may count as time served in a Court Martial.

I'm confused, what due process are you talking about? Are you suggesting that every time an NCO needs to administer corrective training he has to consult with JAG?

I think the point is that NCOs (and all leaders) need to know and understand what the rules are. Knowing that if you do X, you won't be able to do Y later is the difference between ignorance and assuming risk.

You can't decide to have the Soldier take half a month's pay out of the ATM and give it to you as corrective training. That's a punishment under UCMJ. Likewise there are other things that are punishments that you can't just decide to do without going through the process. Knowing what those are and how to get the results you want without violating them is what he's talking about.

As you mentioned, a lot of it is wording and how you go about doing things.

I have a small packet I give to all my new NCOs that breaks down the different kinds of UCMJ (Summarized, Company Grade, Field Grade), how to do a sworn statement, and a few other things. Part of that is how to word counseling statements and do corrective training as not to run afoul of TDS or JAG.

This isn't in any way preventing them from executing their duties - its helping them refine what they do in a way that doesn't voilate laws or regulations AND will allow us to take care of business.

Anthony Hoh
03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
You guys are a tough audience!

I learned very early on in my SWJ postings that even the most innocuous statement will ruffle someone feathers. But I like the fact that it forces me to validate my views and rationalize them out to myself and others. I think you feel Soldiers rights are sometimes violated when NCO’s mete out a form of corrective training/ spot corrections or that it usurps the Commander authority. In some cases I am sure you are right, and I appreciate you making me walk the dog on this. I guess to capsulate I would say NCO’s doing corrective training does way more good than harm, and I hope you can appreciate that.

Blackhorse
04-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I learned very early on in my SWJ postings that even the most innocuous statement will ruffle someone feathers. But I like the fact that it forces me to validate my views and rationalize them out to myself and others. I think you feel Soldiers rights are sometimes violated when NCO’s mete out a form of corrective training/ spot corrections or that it usurps the Commander authority. In some cases I am sure you are right, and I appreciate you making me walk the dog on this. I guess to capsulate I would say NCO’s doing corrective training does way more good than harm, and I hope you can appreciate that.

Anthony,

I didn't get that from the JAG Major's post. I think he is emphasising differences between "punishment" and "corrective training", as well as the legalities and/or illigalities associated with them.

I think the JAGMAJ brings up a valid point. Anyone but a commander administering "punishment" is overstepping their bounds. Punishment as in "non-judicial" is reserved for commanders.

That's not the case for proper "corrective training". It is a viable option for non-commanders, as long as it does not become "punishment. As far as I am able to tell from his posting, JAG Major was never against corrective training done correctly,

JAG Major
04-02-2009, 11:54 AM
That is exactly what I was trying to say.

Anthony Hoh
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
That is exactly what I was trying to say.

JagMajor,
Maybe its a clarity index issue on my part, I can live with that. But I felt from your initial response to my posting about the Soldier losing his weapon. (yes it was based on real circumstances) That I had acted inappropriately in devising a "solution" for that individuals behavior, and that I should have turned that over to the Commander for non-judicial punishment, or a form of corrective training that he/she might designate. I think the boiling point of this issue is the term punishment or to be more precise the "corrective training/punishment line. Yes I see now that you were trying to help sort the issues between the two.

My last two cents and then I promise I will let this go... If I make Joe show up 20 minutes before formation Tuesday for being late on Monday morning. Will he/she tell you I am receiving corrective training or/ I am being punished for being late. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would submit that in many instances so is punishment. Yes we as leaders must know and understand the difference. Blackhorse thanks for synthesizing the issue for us both.

Hoh

sandbag
04-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I tend to think that UCMJ is a weapon of last resort, especially with Field Grade Article 15s. After all, if you're throwing a guy into the breech and priming him up for the Battalion Commander to launch him, that implies you don't think your Company/Battery/Troop/Team Commander can bring enough pain.

Shek
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
But to echo many of the other comments, the UCMJ system has become so cumbersome and toothless that perfectly sanctioned – but still irresponsible – actions are becoming favored when its time to send a message.

To tie it all in to warfighting, it helps develop a mentality that addresses the short term issue "How do I get rid of this problem" rather than looking at the long term consequences of decisions. It trains leaders to do the most convenient thing rather than think about what the right thing really is.

I've seen a lot of comments about how difficult it is to pursue something under UCMJ, and yet there's been no mention of summarized Article 15s. These are so easy to do. Almost any offense can be categorized as an offense under Article 92. My training room had a summarized Article 15 form with the generic Article 92 offense ready to go. Admin time at the company level - 5 minutes to complete the form and 10 minutes to conduct the Article 15. Of course, there was team/squad leader time involved in writing the counselings that would both demonstrate that the soldier had been corrected before and given an opportunity to improve their performance. So we're talking 15 minutes of company HQ time and maybe 30-60 minutes of TL/SL time per summarized Article 15.

I probably did about 15 or so of these during my 18 months in command, and the beauty of these was that when it came time for a 14-12b? chapter (pattern of misconduct), all I needed was a summarized and a company grade Article 15 to demonstrate a pattern (I'm sure the bar has shifted higher given the retention problems and wanting bodies to fill spaces for deployment, but that additional UCMJ action is an easy way to meet whatever requirement). The pattern of misconduct discharge warrants a general under honorable conditions discharge, which means a loss of veterans benefits, and so during the summarized proceeding, I would let the soldier know that continued substandard behavior would result in company grade Article 15 and the adminstrative separation that would include losing their GI Bill.

Both the swiftness of the punishment - if the offense were committed Friday morning, we could complete the process by Friday afternoon no matter what we were doing and the soldier would be edging sidewalks or painting or whatever by the time the company was released for their long weekend of fun - and the potential loss of GI Bill was enough of an eye opener for all but those that Darwin would have gotten anyways. I can't state a definitive claim that the summarized Article 15s helped give more teeth to the SLs and PSGs when they did their informal/formal counseling to substandard soldiers, but I can't help but believe that it did since the possibility of punishment became much more real (but also not a disincentive to future performance since the summarized Article 15s did NOT become part of the permanent record).

The last benefit here is that to take advantage of an Article 15, it gave the TLs and SLs an incentive to do proper counseling since I required it for any proceeding, and it helped us to make sure that we would have the goods when it came time to prevent the automatic promotion of soldiers that meet the TIG and TIS standards but weren't mature enough. It help promotes a healthy balance between corrective training and escalation (without harm to one's permanent record) when required.

Blackhorse
04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Spot on Shek. Good post.

Ken White
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
do in a busy war when no one had time for some of these things and there was great objection to administratively discharging a guy because he was a little rowdy or a pusher of envelopes. No matter, we're not in one. Yet.

Stan
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
do in a busy war when no one had time for some of these things and there was great objection to administratively discharging a guy because he was a little rowdy or a pusher of envelopes. No matter, we're not in one. Yet.

Ken, concur.
We could spend the same amount of time motivating and instilling spirit and using that rowdy soldier where best suited. Seems the Article 15 is just as overrated now as it was in 74.

Courtney Massengale
04-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I've seen a lot of comments about how difficult it is to pursue something under UCMJ, and yet there's been no mention of summarized Article 15s.

Great post and totaly agree. It is one of the most underutilized actions. I love doing them for all the reasons you listed (not that I enjoy UCMJ, but you know).

I wish we had the same ability to turn around... where I'm at, JAG still gets to review and process the packet, not the orderly room. Which in many cases doesn't give a time advantage compared to a CO of FG. Thus, first lines get tempted into the same cycle with "corrective training" and no due process.

Shek
04-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I wish we had the same ability to turn around... where I'm at, JAG still gets to review and process the packet, not the orderly room. Which in many cases doesn't give a time advantage compared to a CO of FG. Thus, first lines get tempted into the same cycle with "corrective training" and no due process.

Wow. I wonder if some commanders abused it and so a brigade commander required the processing through JAG. My brigade never had a problem with it since we made sure that the summarized was simply an escalation from formal counseling (i.e, the first your late to formation, verbal counseling/corrective training, the second time put it on paper, and the third time it was a summarized Article 15, provided there wasn't extenuating circumstances and that the offenses occured relatively close together). It might be something to rengage with your commander to see if there was some abuse that resulted in some knee jerk reaction or if that's just the way it always was and nobody thought to challenge it.

ODB
04-03-2009, 01:57 AM

Ken, concur.
We could spend the same amount of time motivating and instilling spirit and using that rowdy soldier where best suited. Seems the Article 15 is just as overrated now as it was in 74.

what kind of young soldier I was? Yes, I was the beer drinking, tail chasing, rowdy troop, who always ended up in 1SG's office Monday morning. I use to call them Grandpa speeches. The thing that kept me from being booted was my attitude. I was just as rowdy if not more so in the woods and 1SG loved it. He booted 50-60 people a year based on performance in the field. If you were no good in the woods, the slightest mistakes in the rear would have you doing the duffle bag drag to the house.

Chain of Command always wanted to keep me in a glass case with a sign "Break Only In Times Of War". Oh, the good old days in the Army, before we became a PC group of sissies!!!!!! Maybe someday I'll share the number and types of Article 15's and what for.....hint they all revolved around my abilities to drink beer and chase tail. :D

Uboat509
04-03-2009, 02:19 AM
In nearly eighteen years that I have been on active duty I have seen one summarized Article 15 that I can recall. Virtually every commander that I had did not believe in them. In fact several felt that it was an indicator of weak NCOs in the platoon, that they were abrogating their responsibility to maintain discipline with in the platoon to the company commander. I tend to agree. The company commander should be the last resort. If I have a soldier in front of the commander it's because either he has committed a serious infraction or that I have done everything within my power and the soldier has refused to do the right thing. If I bring that soldier for anything less than that I am telling the commander that I have failed and that I need him to take care of discipline within my platoon for me.

SFC W

Courtney Massengale
04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Wow. I wonder if some commanders abused it and so a brigade commander required the processing through JAG. My brigade never had a problem with it since we made sure that the summarized was simply an escalation from formal counseling (i.e, the first your late to formation, verbal counseling/corrective training, the second time put it on paper, and the third time it was a summarized Article 15, provided there wasn't extenuating circumstances and that the offenses occured relatively close together). It might be something to rengage with your commander to see if there was some abuse that resulted in some knee jerk reaction or if that's just the way it always was and nobody thought to challenge it.

To put all the cards on the table… the primary reason was because TDS had a ####-hot Major who could spin straw into reduced sentences. Like you mentioned, the Summarized are building blocks up to a 14-12C or BCD Special. This cat was using errors in prior proceedings to get time off, charges reduced, etc. JAG had to review all Summarized so that there weren't mistakes that would cause problems later down the road (violating the 24 hours, poorly worded charge sheets, incorrect counseling statements, etc).

Don't get me wrong – I love TDS. They're one of the few groups of people in the Army who are doing something directly related to the Constitution all day every day. I sometimes wish they weren't so dedicated to their job.

Stevely
04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for resurrecting this post, JAG Major. I don't really have a dog in it, but I missed the ABC's of OIF and the Major Moments in Reflective Belt History the last time around and am glad I was exposed to it.