PDA

View Full Version : Evo, Hugo, and American Ambassadors

wm
09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Anyone care to comment on the latest developments in the US relations with certain South American nations: to wit, the declaration of the American Ambassadors to Bolivia and Venezuela persona non grata (PNG) and the reciprocal PNG declaration for the Bolivian Ambassador by America's DOS.

Steve Blair
09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
My first brush would be that it's a standard "Yankee go home" reaction to distract from serious internal problems.

Entropy
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
My only comment is that I'm surprised it didn't happened sooner.

wm
09-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Could they be trying to play their variant of the Russian "Georgia" strategy--keep poking a stick at your adversary until he gets so angry that he does something stupid enough to let you capitalize on it?

Ormaybe is this an effort by the so-called axis of oil to divert/dilute US attention/power away from the Black Sea/ Central Asia region?

Amazing how much "courage" a tin pot dictator can muster when he has a "friend" sending in a couple of heavy bombers to visit and dispatching a few antiquated warships to conduct exercises with.

Thoughts on what kind of actions Ecuador will now take, if any?

Watcher In The Middle
09-13-2008, 02:40 AM
The United States on Friday froze the assets of two high-ranking Venezuelan intelligence officials accused of arming rebels in neighbouring Colombia, amid a growing diplomatic standoff between Caracas and Washington. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Thursday expelled the US ambassador to Venezuela and recalled his own from the United States. The move was out of solidarity with Bolivia, which has accused the US of fomenting unrest in the country and pulled its own ambassador from the US this week.

Link to Article (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/231421,us-targets-venezuelan-officials-after-ambassador-expulsion.html)

Looks to be more about drugs and FARC.

Article By Andrew Cochran (http://counterterrorismblog.org/2008/09/us_treasury_department_designa.php)

He's right, there's lots more to come.