PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Economics

Tom Odom
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I know that I somewhat twisted when this starts to seem normal, expensive, but normal nonetheless...

Is voodoo kinetic or non-kinetic?

Nigerian official accused of hiring witch doctor (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/08/08/nigeria.arrest.ap/index.html)
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) -- Police on Friday arrested the head of a federal agency charged with developing Nigeria's impoverished southern oil region after allegations that the man spent millions of dollars on a witch doctor in hopes vanquishing a rival.

President Umaru Yar'Adua announced Friday that the head of the Niger Delta Development Corporation, Sam Edem, had been suspended from his job after local media reports of Edem's large expenditure on black magic. Police later said he had been arrested.

The police said they were investigating the source of the roughly $4 million Edem reportedly spent on hiring a sorcerer to hex and kill another development official.

Stan
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I know that I somewhat twisted when this starts to seem normal, expensive, but normal nonetheless...

Tom, c'mon man, it's as old as Ken :D

2002, Witch doctors placated (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/1914853.stm)

The Ivorian Government has settled a long-running dispute with disgruntled witch doctors who claim to have had a hand in the country's only African Nations Cup success.

The witch doctors, from a suburb of the capital Abidjan, were apparently hired by the sports minister before the 1992 Nations Cup final against Ghana.

Hmmm, wonder what Marct would have to say 'bout this :eek:

Living in fear: Tanzania's albinos (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7518049.stm)

Witchdoctors, middlemen and the clients who pay for albino body parts are among the 173 people in custody so far for these macabre killings. None has been prosecuted.

The BBC sought to investigate how sorcerers' tales of albinos are being channelled into gruesome crimes.

An intermediary posing as a "client" with mining and fishing interests seeking to get rich quick, visited a prominent witchdoctor on our behalf at dusk. They were told that albino body parts could be obtained without difficulty, for a price.

I'm glad we left when we did :)

Ken White
08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Tom, c'mon man, it's as old as Ken :DHow about this?

No? Hmm. Must need a better doll. Or some new needles... :confused:
I'm glad we left when we did :)On a serious note, you should be glad you did -- things aren't looking to good nowadays. Or maybe we just communicate better...

Ron Humphrey
08-11-2008, 09:24 PM

That would depend on whether one is on the receiving end or the giving end

William F. Owen
08-12-2008, 06:23 AM

A. It's effects based!
B. It's "Influence Activity!"
C. As it never produces decisive results, and is little understood, my guess is DOD and UK MOD should fund it and have lots of expensive conferences where everyone ignores the glaring truth that it is of no use at all!!

...just my cynical thoughts :)

Tom Odom
08-12-2008, 12:35 PM
A. It's effects based!
B. It's "Influence Activity!"
C. As it never produces decisive results, and is little understood, my guess is DOD and UK MOD should fund it and have lots of expensive conferences where everyone ignores the glaring truth that it is of no use at all!!

...just my cynical thoughts :)

Nevah evah underestimate the hoodooo that we do

and its effects on you know who :cool:

For Stan:

Is an Albino burger another white meat? :eek: