PDA

View Full Version : The Estonian Spy Case - Herman Simm

jmm99
09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Ran into this in a newsletter I receive. It is also very relevant to NATO.

IHT
Estonia: Ex-security official accused of spying
The Associated Press Published: September 22, 2008

TALLINN, Estonia: The former head of security at the Estonian Defense Ministry has been arrested, suspected of spying, an official said Monday.

Gerrit Maesalu, a spokesman for prosecutor Lavly Lepp, said the Harju county court on Sunday issued a warrant to arrest Herman Simm, 61, on suspicion of treason. ....

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/22/europe/EU-Estonia-Spy-Suspects.php

Kommersant
Sep. 23, 2008
Estonian police have arrested high-ranking member of the Defense Ministry Herman Simm on accusations of espionage. His wife Heete Simm, a police lawyer, faces similarly charges. Estonian authorities have not named the country the couple were providing information to, but Estonian media and local experts claim it was Russia. Herman Simm, 61, was responsible for military secrets. In spite of several earlier claims by the government of Russian espionage operations in the country, this is the first spy case in the modern history of the country in which an actual agent has been identified......

http://www.kommersant.com:80/p1030166/espionage_Estonia/

bbn
Procecutors seize property of suspected Russian spy Herman Simm
Toomas Hõbemägi
25.09.2008 08:39
Public prosecutor Lavly Lepp has arrested all assets of Herman Simm and his wife who are suspected of having spied for Russians.

Eesti Päevaleht writes that the objective is to restrict transactions with the real estate owed by Simm who is believed to have fed NATO secrets to Russians for years as head of security department of Estonian Ministry of Defence.

According to the real estate registry, Simms own seven properties including large land holdings in Raplamaa, Suure-Jaani, Ida-Virumaa, Saue, Padise and Pärnu. Among others, the prosecutor seized his 500 square metre apartment near Tallinn.

http://www.balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=c3d80865-7ea8-40d6-b234-0e3c5a307e2c&ref=rss

Herman Simm Wiki Bio

Herman Simm (born May 29, 1947 in Suure-Jaani) is a former chief the Estonian Defence Ministry's security department. On September 21, 2008, Simm was arrested with his wife Heete Simm on suspiction of illegal collecting and communicating classified information for Russia. In spite of several earlier claims by the government of Russian espionage operations in the country,[1] the Simm case is the first since the restoration of Estonia's independence in 1991 in which an actual agent has been identified and declared suspect in treason.[2] The criminal case is processed by the Public Prosecutor’s Office and by the Security Police Board who co-operate with the Information Board and with the Ministry of Defence. According to the Penal Code, treason is punished with an imprisonment of three to fifteen years.[3] ......
[1] Estonia Catches Its First Spy, Kommersant, September 23, 2008.
[2] Estonia: Ex-security official accused of spying, The International Herald Tribune, September 22, 2008.
[3] Law of Penalty of the Repblic of Estonia, §232.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Simm

jmm99
10-05-2008, 06:58 PM
views differ for various reasons, discussed here.

Baltic Times
NEWS
Treason: the real cost of Simm’s betrayal
Oct 01, 2008
TALLINN - While some fear Estonia’s reputation as a NATO partner has been tarnished and others believe it’s stronger, most agree that national defense has been severely compromised by a deviant individual and some suspect widespread espionage. But where exactly does Estonia stand after Herman Simm’s treason?

Ask any Estonian whether Russia should be perceived as a threat and the answer is nearly always the same: Yes. The notion that history repeats itself seems deeply ingrained in the thoughts of Baltic citizens, and given the lengthy and disastrous consequences of the Soviet occupation, this hardly comes as a surprise.

With this in mind, it’s no wonder that the nation has bestowed upon Simm the status of public enemy number one. There’s nothing redeemable about selling state secrets to a nation’s long-term oppressor, especially when residual skepticism of Russia has existed in the Baltic states since their independence in the early ’90s.

Even more alarming, a British former civil servant has informed The Baltic Times that this might not be a one-off case, but part of a wider breach of national security. .....

http://www.baltictimes.com/news/articles/21475/

The 3-15 year sentence range for treason and espionage (noted in OP and in above article) seems a bit light - no.

Stan
10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Not too sure how to comment here as I worked right next door to him for several years. Honestly, the only thing I ever saw pass his desk was EFTO :o

Our PFP and subsequent NATO days had me pining away for a job at the local kindergarten (although the free trips to Paris and Brussels were not that bad during the winter months). He may (now) be a modern day Russian puke, but a spy and seller of secrets?

If he and his better half get 15 years, they'll both have died of natural causes before their time runs out. Gotta be something better to do with them than tie up the judiciary system, having 60 year-old folk watching videos in prison :D

jmm99
10-07-2008, 04:02 AM
from Stan
... as I worked right next door to him for several years ...

you might be called as a witness for one side or the other. Should I get out my Miranda card ?

Seriously, you make a couple of good points.

... but a spy and seller of secrets?

Not an unusual reaction of neighbors in espionage - and other - cases, for that matter. The innocent person will appear to be, well, innocent; but so also the agent (assuming he or she has any tradecraft).

So, I'll wait on the evidence - realizing that US prosecutors usually do not pull the trigger on these cases unless they have good evidence - the case itself raises too much bad PR for the nation to be other than very careful.

Gotta be something better to do with them than tie up the judiciary system...

If they are innocent, then they should tough it out. At least, that is what I would tell them.

If they are guilty (which I would not directly ask them), their solution is to work a plea bargain - giving up everything they know. If they are candid, damage assessment is easier and would justify a lighter sentence.

You're right about another thing - facing prison in your 60s ain't the way to go.

Stan
10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
The latest in the Simm case made it to the papers this morning. Declaring Simm received 1,000 euros a month (but without indicating just how long he had received payments, or, how he received them).

The Interior Minister is quoted as saying Simm did not lead a luxurious lifestyle, but continued, that one can purchase smaller things and need not purchase land to be rich.

The amount of these payments has now cast doubt among both the defense and prosecuting attorneys as quoted in Õhtuleht (http://www.ohtuleht.ee/index.aspx?id=300105).

EDIT:
Yet another paper (considered the source of the above article) indicates that the justice department would not have arrested Simm based on the facts above. Päevaleht (http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/445015) also discloses Simm's MOD salary and Police pension. Both figures much larger than what he is accused of secretly receiving.

Not looking good for a spy novel !

jmm99
10-18-2008, 08:59 PM
there (must be ?) (should be ?) more meat.

1. His real estate holdings (much cited in initial articles) seem to be family, at least in part:

Estonia's spy scandal hits relatives of Herman Simm
Toomas Hõbemägi
17.10.2008 09:32
Several properties that belong to the alleged spy Herman Simm and were seized by the prosecutor were co-owned by his relatives.
According to the real estate registry, Simms own seven properties including large land holdings in Raplamaa, Suure-Jaani, Ida-Virumaa, Saue, Padise and Pärnu. Among others, the prosecutor seized his 500 square metre apartment near Tallinn.

For instance Paul and Martin Künnap, the sons of his stepsister, are co-owning three properties with Simm. The three own 100 hectares of agricultural land in Viljandimaa that historically belonged to Herman Simm’s father and were returned to Simm.

Paul Künnap said that they have been taking steps to divide the properties. “This process has now stopped because of the seizure of properties.”

http://balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=d3a34c92-c80c-48e9-9240-830581f2ea63&readcomment=1#comment

2. As to the money, the English language article is too laconic - here (http://balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=d6ca3a9f-b7b2-42d2-8e14-481665a0b574&readcomment=1#comment)

As I glean Estonian (which ain't much), the key parts to the money story are here:

Päevalehe andmetel sai Herman Simm võõrriigile edastatud salajase teabe eest 1000 eurot ehk 15 600 krooni kuus, mis teeb pisut alla 200 000 krooni aastas.
Palk oli suurem

18 000 krooni kuus

teenis Herman Simm viimati kaitseministeeriumis. Sellele lisandus politseipension.

50 000 krooni kuus

teenis Simmide perekond ametlikult kokku.

So, eminent translator of things Estonian and Lingala, traduction, s.v.p.

--------------
Odd that he would have admitted to the espionage as some stories have said. Wonder if that is true ?

Stan
10-19-2008, 04:24 PM
there (must be ?) (should be ?) more meat.

1. His real estate holdings (much cited in initial articles) seem to be family, at least in part:

http://balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=d3a34c92-c80c-48e9-9240-830581f2ea63&readcomment=1#comment

Yep, 95 hectares spread among family members in part ownership is not exactly what I would have concluded as high on the hog. Even in my 13 years here, I bought and later sold over 45 hectares. Too easy to conclude today that 95 hectares equals big bucks.

2. As to the money, the English language article is too laconic - here (http://balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=d6ca3a9f-b7b2-42d2-8e14-481665a0b574&readcomment=1#comment)

That's because Estonian's are translating the text from business daily Äripäev and/or Ärileht, and, nobody is checking the grammar :rolleyes: Imagine having to use articles and prepositions in the future tense, when your mother tongue does not (have nor use them).

As I glean Estonian (which ain't much), the key parts to the money story are here:

So, eminent translator of things Estonian and Lingala, traduction, s.v.p.

Odd that he would have admitted to the espionage as some stories have said. Wonder if that is true ?

Traduction avec plaisir

Päevalehe andmetel sai Herman Simm võõrriigile edastatud salajase teabe eest 1000 eurot ehk 15 600 krooni kuus, mis teeb pisut alla 200 000 krooni aastas.
According to Päevaleht's data, Herman Simm received 1,000 Euros per month (or 15,600 kroons, which is just under 200,000 kroons per year) for forwarding secret information to a foreign country
Palk oli suurem
18 000 krooni kuus
teenis Herman Simm viimati kaitseministeeriumis. Sellele lisandus politseipension.
50 000 krooni kuus

(but his) Salary was larger at 18,000 kroons per month from the MOD, in addition to his police retirement of 50,000 kroons per month

The article's author would then conclude that Herman had more than enough, and need not sell secrets :D

However, the average educated professional here barely makes what Herman received after more than 10 years at the MOD. Most middle class folks clear 10 to 12,000 each month ($1,000.00).

I understand as of Friday afternoon, Herman has admitted to nothing.

jmm99
10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
15,600 - alleged "spy pay"
18,000 - MOD salary
50,000 - police pension

do not add up to what would be expected to turn someone. Herman was well above middle-class without the 15.6K (police pension looks huge = 4 middle class families).

I think we should indulge ourselves here in the presumption of innocence, until some better evidence turns up - e.g., Swiss bank account, ideology or an admission by Herman.

One wonders if Herman made some enemies when he was a cop ?

jmm99
11-18-2008, 05:58 AM
This article reviews the case, but provides little in new evidence other than the alleged radio mentioned in the second paragraph. The article also outlines the interest in the case by NATO Security - damage assessment time. So, if that part of the article is accurate, someone did something very bad.

11/17/2008
WESTERN SECRETS FOR MOSCOW
Estonian Spy Scandal Shakes NATO and EU
By Holger Stark

For years an Estonian government official has apparently been collecting the most intimate secrets of NATO and the EU -- and passing them on to the Russians. The case is a disaster for Brussels.

Communications between the suspected top spy and his commanding officer seemed like a throwback to the Cold War. Investigators allege that in order to send messages to his Russian contact, Herman Simm, 61, used a converted radio which looked like a relic from yesteryear's world of consumer electronics. ....
Although Simm was arrested with his wife Heete in the Estonian capital Tallinn on Sept. 21, this spy story -- which has been largely kept under wraps until now -- primarily concerns the European Union and NATO based in faraway Brussels. Since Simm was responsible for dealing with classified information in Tallinn, he had access to nearly all documents exchanged within the EU and NATO. Officials who are familiar with the case assume that "virtually everything" that circulates between EU member states was passed on to the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service, the SVR -- including confidential analyses by NATO on the Kosovo crisis, the war in Georgia and even the missile defense program. Investigators believe that Simm was a "big fish."
Meanwhile, a number of investigative teams from the EU and NATO have flown to Tallinn to probe the extent of the intelligence disaster. The investigation is being led by the NATO Office for Security, which is headed by an American official. As investigators pursue their work, they continue to unearth mounting evidence pointing to the enormity of the betrayal. A German government official has called the situation a "catastrophe," and Jaanus Rahumägi, a member of Estonia's national parliament who heads the parliamentary oversight committee for the government security agency, fears "historic damage."

NATO officials in Brussels are comparing Simm's alleged spying to the case of Aldrich Ames, a former CIA agent who for years funneled information to the Russian intelligence service, the KGB. However, the extensive fallout of the Estonian leaks makes this the worst espionage scandal since the end of the Cold War......

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,590891,00.html

European Code procedure works a bit differently from our criminal procedure. The accused is detained (not necessarily under conditions of probable cause as we know that concept). The case is assigned to an investigative judge who has powers akin to a one-man grand jury. The time interval can be long between that assignment and the issuance of what is equivalent to our indictment. In some ways, the European procedures resemble the DTA and MCA procedures.

Beelzebubalicious
11-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I was wondering why the EU or NATO allows that level of access to former Soviet era cadres. How did this guy get to this level?

This whole thing smells fishy to me.

Ken White
11-18-2008, 10:25 PM
not really enough known here to make any sensible determination and that is unlikely to change...

Stan
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
This article reviews the case, but provides little in new evidence other than the alleged radio mentioned in the second paragraph. The article also outlines the interest in the case by NATO Security - damage assessment time. So, if that part of the article is accurate, someone did something very bad.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,590891,00.html

As I indicated above, I have little to no knowledge of him ever getting ahold of anything from the USG above EFTO (for you civilians that's Encrypted For Transmission Only).

... where he was responsible for the secret coordination with NATO and the EU

He was barely involved with anything PFP/MAP/NATO (he never even had user access to my server, satellite connection and traffic). When I left the MOD in 2003, his job was more of a building security manager than a classified holdings officer. I'm having a hard time remembering if I ever saw an approved document safe in his office.

The parliament member's statement is way off. The dude was already behind bars before Georgia happened. Even after Georgia's short war, the communications between MFAs were little more than various requests for assistance. Some of us responded faster than others to include open press releases - certainly not classified assistance.

I don't doubt for a second we have Russian spies recruiting here, but I have a real hard time with the potential for over access to what NATO calls sensitive. To echo Eric's comments, What ever happened to "a need to know" regardless of one's security clearance levels?

jmm99
11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I thought you'd chime in with some facts. Nothing I've seen so far causes me to leave my suggestion in post # 8:

I think we should indulge ourselves here in the presumption of innocence, until some better evidence turns up.

We might see formal charges (akin to our indictment) next year. If that is filed (cf. the Aruba case, where the guy was detained twice and never formally charged), the parties will then be at issue.

That being said, I do plan on following this case wherever it leads. I have seen a lot of speculation on the Net about Herman, including some "conspiracy theories". I have not reported them because the sources are questionable.

Of one thing, we can be fairly well assured. We won't (shouldn't) see NATO Security's damage assessment report.

Stan
11-26-2008, 08:33 AM
From The Sunday Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5213472.ece)

Officers from MI5’s counter-espionage section are investigating possible damage caused to Britain and the West by Herman Simm, a high-ranking Estonian security official who has confessed to spying for Russia.

In an operation worthy of a 1960s spy novel, Simm is reported to have used an antiquated radio transmitter to send classified information to Russia.

He is accused of betraying Nato plans for Kosovo’s independence; the position of the alliance on last summer’s war between Russia and Georgia; and secrets from the American missile shield in Europe.

jmm99
11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
from Times article

.... who has confessed to spying for Russia. ...

.... reported to have used an antiquated radio transmitter ....

.... alleged to have received millions of dollars from the SVR ...

until the confession shows in a court document, the transmitter is put on the table and the Swiss bank account with millions shows up.

It may be all true (or all false); but I can sit back and be patient.

Stan
11-26-2008, 09:19 PM
antiquated radio transmitter

imagine what this would fetch on eBay :eek:

The suspense is killing me :D

jmm99
11-27-2008, 04:13 AM
the transmitter twin of this receiver - SLR-M Scott Marine Radio Receiver (WWII vintage), which works fine (despite its alternative use as a 50 lb. boat anchor) - except for those odd signals emanating from the Tallinn area.

selil
11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I prefer Collins or Hallicrafters but have a Kenwood and Yeasu.

the transmitter twin of this receiver - SLR-M Scott Marine Radio Receiver (WWII vintage), which works fine (despite its alternative use as a 50 lb. boat anchor) - except for those odd signals emanating from the Tallinn area.

Stan
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Had a Collins for years but never had the cash for a Kenwood.

I have this mental picture of the radio system Rene used in Allo Allo under granny's bed :D:D:D

jmm99
11-28-2008, 06:05 PM

can you use them for boat anchors. :D

Back in that day (mid-1950's), Hallicrafters SSB was the receiver - among our remote-area amateur radio people.

Regardless of its merits, the Scott opened up the wide world to me - VOA, RFE, BBC; and Radio Moscow's English service. The last taught me how fleet of foot you had to be to be a "good SovCom" - one month, the announcers would be praising Program X; the next month, they would condemn it. When I read Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 a few years later, the agitprop process was very familiar.

Stan
12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
We're really reaching this time with all the makings of a catastrophic failure :D

Much of what NATO does is secret (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/datelinedc/s_600623.html); it must be since it holds all of the military strategy and tactics of the Pentagon and our 25 allies. But this belief fell apart this month when Estonia, the tiny country on the Baltic Sea with just more than a million people, announced that two top government officials, a husband and wife team, had betrayed NATO's most intimate secrets to Russia.

The result: Russia, which always rejected NATO, has found that a detour through Estonia was the perfect way to stab into the heart of NATO.

jmm99
12-02-2008, 05:38 AM
but its bottom line is clear enough:

.... Can we trust and, even more important, can we afford the NATO alliance?

In 2009, do we need NATO? After all, as one top intelligence official in Washington said, "It must be assumed that the Russian intelligence service still has a few more Simms in the alliance."

Who has the most to gain from all this ? Is this a little wilderness of mirrors ?

Ken White
12-02-2008, 06:29 AM
He presumes that any information applicable to the US defense establishment is automatically available to anyone in NATO. That's not correct, nor is 'most' or 'a lot' correct -- very little and low order at that would be correct. There are other dumb statements as well...
Regardless, the case will lead to far-reaching consequences for our newly elected president. Can we trust and, even more important, can we afford the NATO alliance?Far reaching consequences? Beyond doubtful. You can't trust anyone -- and we know that, have done so for many years. As for affordability, this is not the first nor will it be the last time US classified info has been leaked by a NATO Ally; NATO has some political merit so affording it is not really an issue.
In 2009, do we need NATO? After all, as one top intelligence official in Washington said, "It must be assumed that the Russian intelligence service still has a few more Simms in the alliance."Doh. Well, of course they do -- the FSB /GRU is easily the worlds most effective intel service collaborative. That statement doesn't pass the 'so-what' test.
Dateline D.C. is written by a Washington-based British journalist and political observer.A British journalist who says "...our newly elected president..." arouses my suspicion. A 'political observer' commenting on intel matters arouses my chuckle factor. ;)

Yes, it is a mass of smoke and mirrors. :cool:

Old Eagle
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I did a lot of work with partner intel services in the "new democracies". They are great folks, but there was never any doubt that their former partners probably left some friends behind. That's why we have tiered access.

At the same time it's unfair to single out our allies and partners when some of the most egregious damage was done here in the States -- Ames, Hanson, Walker.

Disband NATO over an intel leak? I don't think so.

Beelzebubalicious
12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
discredit or disband NATO? Who would want that....?

jmm99
12-02-2008, 07:31 PM
As Ken noted, the identity of the Dateline D.C. writer is hidden and quite possibly a legend:

(from article)
Dateline D.C. is written by a Washington-based British journalist and political observer.

So, Anons as the sources for the article; and Anon as its author.

The Tribune-Review Publishing Company is owned by heir to the Mellon banking, oil, and aluminum fortune, Richard Mellon Scaife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Tribune-Review

Not to claim any kind of conspriracy or whatnot - or to allege that RMS signed off on this particular article.

The Anon columnist writes regularly (about weekly) - article index is here (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/datelinedc/) -

and this is not his (her) first on intelligence - one from this year is here (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/datelinedc/s_582046.html).

Restoring intelligence
By Dateline D.C.
Sunday, August 10, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Coincidences happen surprisingly often.

At the end of July, political legend Anne Armstrong died in Texas. Among her many firsts:

• Armstrong served in the Cabinets of three presidents as the first female presidential counselor

• As U.S. ambassador to London, appointed by President Gerald Ford in 1975

• As a member and chairwoman of President Ronald Reagan's Foreign Intelligence Board (1982-1990).

A recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Armstrong held many secrets and was equally ferocious in the defense of her country, friends and freedom. She will be sorely missed.

Also as July ended, President George W. Bush signed a new executive order governing the competing bureaucracies of the 16 information-gathering groups under National Intelligence Director Mike McConnell.
.... [lengthy discussion]

and here (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/datelinedc/s_548352.html).

Philip Agee, traitor
By Dateline D.C.
Sunday, January 20, 2008

WASHINGTON
A failed American, Philip Burnett Franklin Agee, 72, "Pont" to the KGB for nearly four decades, is dead in Cuba, his spiritual home. He was a traitor, paid by the Cubans and Russians.

For much of his life, this irresponsible financial sponge and a sad excuse for a case officer betrayed the CIA, his friends and those who worked to protect the United States.

In the 1970s, Agee and his friends made headlines. They did their best, helped by the KGB, to harm the United States and its policies. ....

Sounds like an American to me.

"Who would want" - Multiple choices (everyone can fill in their own favorites), who are not necessarily on the same page and each possibly on their own separate page.

Stan
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
And NATO is stymied by Herman Simm's mega wealth :wry:

While every intelligence agency has grown, there are now more civilian contractors than the entire civil work force and even the penetration of hostile countries' intelligence is outsourced to giant corporations.

About 70 percent of the $60 billion a year spent on foreign and domestic intelligence goes to companies such as Blackwater Worldwide, DynCorp, SAIC, CACI International and the doyen of them all, Booz Allen Hamilton.

Stan
12-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Mr. Kahar said Mr. Simm lacked access to critical streams of information (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/world/europe/25estonia.html?_r=2&ref=world)

... including plans for a NATO cyber defense center based in Estonia, the identity of Estonian and foreign intelligence agents and details about plans for missile defense systems in Poland and the Czech Republic.

A congenial man — the kind who never forgot to bring flowers when women in the office had a birthday — Mr. Simm was among the few officials who survived Estonia’s transition to independence. A graduate of a Soviet police academy in Moscow, Mr. Simm was in his 40s when Estonia left the Soviet Union, noticeably older than most of his government counterparts.

jmm99
12-25-2008, 08:12 PM
you scooped me by 20+ minutes. Good work, C4 man.

This case keeps getter odder and odder. It is fast morphing into something we have seen before - passing off "info" to allies.

I got a kick out of this, from the NY Times article:

Aleksei Pavlov, a Kremlin spokesman, dismissed the notion that Russia was stepping up spying and said Mr. Simm “never had any connection with any type of Russian government agency.” He added that domestic considerations, including terrorism, were the priority for Russia now.

“It is not exactly the case where we will be activating our international network,” he said.

Pavlov is of course telling the truth since the SovCom-Russian network was never deactivated.

jmm99
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
of media reports, is found here (http://www.axisglobe.com/print_news.asp?news=14340).

18.01.200912:08 (GMT) - 007 News

Estonian newspaper Eesti Paevaleht, referring to data of the special parliamentary commission on supervision of activity of security services of Estonia, writes that the spy Herman Simm who was exposed in 2008 had worked for the Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) of Russia. He transferred secret data through a certain SVR officer with a nickname of Jesus.

According to the newspaper, during the investigation of Simm’s criminal case it was found out that the citizen of Estonia was supervised by an illegal who used cover as a citizen of Portugal and operated carrying out the SVR tasks.

It is said in the annual report on activity of the special parliamentary commission. According to the commission, Jesus was declared in the international search still on September 16, 2008, that is before arrest of Herman Simm and his spouse Heete Simm on September 21, Russian news agency Interfax reports.

Simm’s official duties included organization and coordination of protection of state secrets, participation in the international negotiations with the NATO and EU member-countries on protection of the classified information. So, he was a member of NATO and EU delegations on check-up of conformity of security systems in other countries.

Simm had the same access to confidential materials as the President, the Prime Minister, Ministers of Defence and Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Commander of the Defence Forces of Estonia. According to mass media, NATO considers the Simm’s case the biggest intelligence failure after the USSR collapse.

Earlier it was the French press which reported on the agent nicknamed Jesus. According to magazine Le Nouvel Observateur, all the files with the index NATO Cosmic Top Secret, addressed to Estonia, passed through Simm and therefrom they got to Jesus. In particular, all documents of military character which were sent to Estonia from the countries with which it concluded treaties on exchange of classified documents were passed through Simm.

According to a NATO expert, the damage caused to Estonia and the alliance is huge; according to preliminary data, the damage could make about 100 million EEK (6.4 million Euro).

I Googled about (without success) to find the Eesti Paevaleht article, and the report of the special parliamentary commission. Stan, can you help out on this - i.e., did the report actually say what is asserted in the first three paragraphs quoted above.

Also, there are a number of alleged facts claimed in the quote; at least one of which has been disputed. E.g., this:

Simm had the same access to confidential materials as the President, the Prime Minister, Ministers of Defence and Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Commander of the Defence Forces of Estonia.

Contra, Kahar quote in article cited in Stan's 25 Dec post above.

An indictment was projected for post-1 Jan - still waiting on that one.

Stan
02-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Hei JMM,
Had merely gotten bored with this case in the local press and should have otherwise kept up with this thread. BTW, Google in Estonskie don't friggin work :D

I Googled about (without success) to find the Eesti Paevaleht article, and the report of the special parliamentary commission. Stan, can you help out on this - i.e., did the report actually say what is asserted in the first three paragraphs quoted above.

Also, there are a number of alleged facts claimed in the quote; at least one of which has been disputed. E.g., this:

Contra, Kahar quote in article cited in Stan's 25 Dec post above.

An indictment was projected for post-1 Jan - still waiting on that one.

Here in brief and chronological order, is what I came up with from EestiPäevaleht:

25 DEC 08 (http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/453303)
The Kremlin's representative Aleksei Pavlovi states that they are more occupied with internal problems and terrorism, and, have nothing to do with Simm. ;) With that, Estonia's Special Commission Chairman Jaanus Rahumägi retorts that this part of the world (during that period) has always been in Russia's sights, and the prosecution believes that Simm passed information onto the Russian foreign spies.

29 DEC 08 (http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/453511)
Simm's Defense Lawyer hopes to get his land back. In attorney Sven Sillari's opinion, Simm's assets were confiscated illegally. Chief Prosecutor Lavly Lepp indicated in early November that the confiscation of Simm's property legally fell under two categories. The real estate in question was purchased with criminally-obtained monies or the individuals through criminal acts have considerably benefited from the consequential damages.

30 DEC 08 (http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/453674)
The Simms' land remains confiscated. Tallinn's district Court ruled that the Simms' confiscated assets remain legally confiscated and added that, assets belonging to Heete Simm could also be confiscated if she is found guilty of assisting her husband with treason.

12 JAN 09 (http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/454836)
Heete Simm, accused of assisting her husband with treason returned to work on Monday as a legal attorney for the police. Not much to this short article other than mucho legal jargon.

16 JAN 09 (http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/455241)
KAPO (similar to the USA's FBI, ATF, SWAT and Secret Service all rolled into One) Commission - Simm's contact was a Russian Officer
The (Parliamentary) Estonian Security Police Board Commission determined last year that Simm's contact was in fact a Federation foreign spy, who escaped (from being apprehended) just 3 days before Simm was arrested. In brief, the Commission determined that Simm's contact is in fact a third party illegal traveler (alien) and they are now at odds just how to proceed convicting Simm. Under Estonian law Simm could received 3 to 20 years, or life. Other Countries cited indicate that Simm, as a traitor, could receive the maximum such as in France, Finland, Sweden, Germany and Denmark. In the USA there's a possible penalty of death and in Russia, 12 to 20 years.

20 JAN 09 (http://www.riigikogu.ee/index.php?op=roller&MAX_FILE_SIZE=100000000&s_opt=3&s_limit=100&section=5&group=search_simple&ret_to_orb=0&no_reforb=1&str=herman+simm&x=0&y=0)
The Parliament of Estonia (http://www.riigikogu.ee/?lang=en)
(Don't for a second think that clicking on the ENG would instantaneously translate the viewed document into English... Because it does not :o )

In short (complete with sarcasm)
Heete Simm is found free these days... But what a surprise-surprise.

Sorry, I was unable to find anything that would indicate Simm had access to the same level of classified as say the President. I however doubt he had that level, ever.

Regards, Stan

jmm99
02-01-2009, 08:05 PM
for the extensive update. No real breaking news - and many questions remain unanswered. If this case is settled (plea bargain), I suspect that many of those questions will remain buried.

Meanwhile, we have our own continuing problem (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/n/harold_j_nicholson/index.html), where the apple (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/excia_spy_imprisoned_in_oregon.html) seems not to have fallen far from the tree.

The 27 Jan 2009 Nicholson indictment is here (http://blog.oregonlive.com/news_impact/2009/01/Nicholsons.pdf).

jmm99
02-10-2009, 09:15 PM
This (http://www.easybourse.com/bourse-actualite/marches/estonian-in-russia-spy-probe-on-trial-by-march-official-609851) appeared in a few places:

Estonian In Russia Spy Probe On Trial By March: Official
Wednesday February 4th, 2009 / 15h44

TALLINN, Estonia (AFP)--A former Estonian defense ministry official who is accused of spying for the country's Soviet-era master Moscow is set to face trial within weeks, justice authorities said Wednesday.

"The case will reach court in a few weeks, in March at the latest," Gerrit Maesalu, spokesman of the state prosecutor's office, told AFP.
The defense ministry said Wednesday that it was also planning to seek 21 million kroons ($1.72 million) in damages against Simm.
"The sum was calculated by taking into account the amount the defense ministry has had to pay to change the various communication and guard systems of various institutions," spokesman Peeter Kuimet told AFP.

Stan
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
This is the part that always gets me :cool:

After Simm's arrest, Estonian Prime Minister Andrus Ansip said other NATO member states which may have been damaged by his alleged espionage could also press charges.
Maesalu (sic), however, said prosecutors did not have any further information about such plans by Tallinn's allies.

The purported NATO team has yet to come up with anything that would shake the roof off Estonia's NATO membership. I love the way a journalist gets paid to ponder evidence that has yet to materialize.

I've truly missed my calling to make money using little more than innuendo and personal opinion (and you do still recall what we say about opinions and Alphas... Right?). :eek:

Regards, Stan

EDIT:
As I happen to know these fine folks, I will see just exactly what all this cash will suddenly replace to prevent more Hermans from selling (ahem) highly classified info to the Russkies.

The defense ministry said Wednesday that it was also planning to seek 21 million kroons ($1.72 million) in damages against Simm.
"The sum was calculated by taking into account the amount the defense ministry has had to pay to change the various communication and guard systems of various institutions," spokesman Peeter Kuimet told AFP.

kaur
02-27-2009, 06:11 AM
A spy scandal in Estonia

How many more?
Feb 26th 2009 | TALLINN
From The Economist print edition

A senior Russian spy in NATO is convicted

http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13184989

jmm99
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
thank you for the update.

Now that Mr. Simm has pleaded guilty, the question will remain (as it always does in these cases) about why he did what he did. Some will ask why he was not caught sooner - and the answer there is that there is no single profile for a spy-traitor. There are many profiles (developed after the fact) and they are common not only to spies-traitors, but to those who are not.

marcus.climenole
03-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Is there any further evidence so far that the radio device Mr. Simm was using, was receiving Shortwave radio broadcasts? Further, have there been any reports of one time pads, or message decryption devices, keys, or codes?

Thanks for the forum, this is great!

jmm99
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
either in this thread or here (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=1441&page=45) - web developer and an interest in films tells us not much. Thank you in advance.

marcus.climenole
03-03-2009, 04:32 AM
either in this thread or here (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=1441&page=45) - web developer and an interest in films tells us not much. Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry, I'll be more verbose. Through Climenole, LLC (http://blog.climenole.com/) I'm working on a film about the history of Numbers Stations. Beginning with Bletchley Park in 1940, it tells this history using instances where an individual is charged with treason and the evidence brought against them is, among other things, shortwave radios and One-Time Pads. The sum of which points to Numbers Stations.

The spies prominently featured are: Vilyam Genrikhovich Fisher (Rudolph Ivanovich Abel), Adolf Tolkachev, Geoffrey Prime, Vaklav Jelinek (Edwin Van Harleem), and Ana Belen Montes.

Montes was discovered in 2001 and sentenced in 2002. Being that it is 2009 and we are near completion of the project, we'd like to be able to include a reference to someone who has been caught recently using Shortwave Radios and One-Time Pads. Bring it up to date basically.

I stumbled upon your forum because of the mention of the radio in Mr. Simm's quarters. I thought if anyone would know if he was using Shortwave Radios and One-Time Pads, it would be the people of this forum. So any thoughts?

Now that it's in the open, if you are interested in more about our film project, it is called Clandestine (http://clandestine-movie.com/). visit http://clandestine-movie.com

Thanks for any help you can provide!

jmm99
03-03-2009, 07:41 PM
from m.c
I thought if anyone would know if he was using Shortwave Radios and One-Time Pads, it would be the people of this forum. So any thoughts?

My immediate thought is that the Simm case is so recent that anything detailed about his sources and methods would be classified. Possibly his guilty plea "proffer" (if Estonia uses that sort of document) would give some details. I haven't seen anything beyond the open-source material posted here.

Based on one of the news articles I read, Simm was discovered because the Checkist officer or agent running him had tried to recruit an official from another government. The official reported the contact and the Checkist was surveilled. That led to his meetings with Simm being observed, etc., etc.

The inference is that Simm was transmitting information person to person - also perhaps by dead-drops. If what was reported was true, discovery of Simm was something of a windfall realized because another official obeyed the rules and reported an illicit contact.

PS: You do have an interesting project - sometimes fact is more interesting than fiction, but more often is simply boring.

marcus.climenole
03-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Wow, great information. I will have to go back through the information posted in this thread more closely. In addition, I'll repost whatever information I find on the topic from elsewhere.

(slightly off topic). Somebody notified me of another spy, Stig Bergling, who was busted in 2005, who they say used shortwave radios to receive communications from the FSB. I'm going to dig into him as well.

You've been very helpful. And thanks for the compliment.

davidbfpo
03-04-2009, 11:19 AM
The vulnerability to traditional methods (investigation and surveillance) appear to be present in this case. This vulnerability might explain the FSB's delight in exposing a UK spy network / method when an electronic dead letter box was found; IIRC disguised as a rock containing a recording device and you broadcast over a very short distance the text. This appeared on news websites in January 2006 and this is the BBC's report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4638136.stm

davidbfpo

jmm99
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
did not reveal its sources and methods, at least in the BBC article, used to detect the "rock radio".

Since the transmission signals may have been very short range (don't know that, but that is an inference), signal intercepts may not have been the key. If the FSB surveils adversary diplomats as well as the KGB did, investigation and surveillence may, indeed, have been the key - too many UK diplos hanging around a location punching their hand-helds.

In any event, the 2006 incident seems closer to what m.c is looking for - simply updated in technology.

bourbon
03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.4law.co.il/fsb23.jpg

jmm99
03-07-2009, 04:05 AM
as this .....

jmm99
09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
To paraphrase Our Lord (and the cats), the spies will always be among us. Two briefs notes on spy convictions, one in the US (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g431Fy6Spg4_xH-1dmkdsStRKSQwD9ABGOUO0) and one in Russia (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/08/28/Russian-officer-sentenced-for-spying/UPI-71181251474571/):

Ex-CIA spy's son pleads guilty to conspiracy
By WILLIAM McCALL (AP) – 5 days ago

PORTLAND, Ore. — The son of an ex-CIA spy has pleaded guilty to conspiracy after admitting he met with his father's former Russian handlers and accepted money from them.

Nathaniel Nicholson entered guilty pleas Thursday to conspiracy to act as an agent of a foreign government and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Federal prosecutors said the younger Nicholson traveled around the world taking cash from agents of the Russian Federation, who were trying to find out how much ex-CIA agent Harold "Jim" Nicholson had told U.S. investigators.

Jim Nicholson, an Oregon native, was the CIA's chief instructor in spy "tradecraft" when he sold information on the agents he was training to the Russians. He was convicted in 1997 and sentenced to 23 years in prison.
and

Russian officer sentenced for spying
.Published: Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM

ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia, Aug. 28 (UPI) -- A Russian military officer has been sentenced to six years in prison after being convicted of spying for Georgia in the conflict involving South Ossetia.

Lt. Colonel Mikhail Khachidze, a deputy unit commander in the North Caucasus Military District, was accused of passing military secrets to Georgia after being recruited in October 2007, the Russian information service RIA Novosti reported Friday.

Prosecutor Lt. Gen. Vladimir Milovanov said Khachidze was motivated to spy because he needed money.

"He passed sensitive information for just $2,000," Milovanov said. "He was always in debt."

In addition to a prison sentence, the military court stripped Khachidze of his rank.

The "Great Game" continues.

Stan
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Lt. Colonel Mikhail Khachidze, a deputy unit commander in the North Caucasus Military District, was accused of passing military secrets to Georgia after being recruited in October 2007, the Russian information service RIA Novosti reported Friday.

Now this one in particular worries me the most. He got 2 grand for that funky information :confused:

The Georgians certainly didn't win and the Russian aircraft missed almost all of their targets... WTF :rolleyes:

I need a new job

jmm99
09-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Cost of Russian LTC - $2,000
Cost of CIA officer - ~ $100,000+
Cost of EOD SNCO - priceless
:D:D:D

If you want legal advice on your new employment contract, PM me - I can still read a little Cyrillac with some assistence. ;)

Stan
10-22-2009, 05:37 PM
If you want legal advice on your new employment contract, PM me - I can still read a little Cyrillac with some assistance. ;)

Mike,
You'd be surprised to know that we have legal assistants known as Bankruptcy Managers who handle things such as auctioning off Herman's art and firearm collection as he "sits" in holding. Basically, Herman was no where near bankrupt til the State determined what damage he had done in $$$. Now he is truely bankrupt :eek:

They hope to get 70 grand or so, selling his booty (or is that bounty?) and estimate that he will still be in debt should he live through his incarceration.

It gets even better... there's a film in the making - Betrayer of the State coming to cinemas soon (unlikely to your area) :wry:

Regards, Stan

jmm99
10-23-2009, 06:02 AM
which had to affect adversely many innocent people. Probably something I shouldn't have joked about.

Best as always

Mike

PS: I won't spend much time sreaching for the video. I think I'll stick with the old Meg Ryan romances, which always turn out well. :eek:

davidbfpo
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
A fascinating Foreign Affairs article 'The Estonian Spymasters: Tallinn's Revolutionary Approach to Stopping Russian Spies':http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/141521/michael-weiss/the-estonian-spymasters#cid=soc-twitter-at-snapshot-the_estonian_spymasters-000000

The title comes from this comment by Estonia's President:
We caught four moles in the last five years....That means one of two things. Either we’re the only country in the EU with a mole problem, or we’re the only country in the EU doing anything about it.

selil
06-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I talked a little with the Estonians this week about the articles. They take their counter intel seriously.

davidbfpo
09-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Spotted in a the journal INS a review of Edward Lucas's book, Deception: The Untold Story of East-West Espionage Today, published 2013, that the book's capstone was:
remarkable interviews with the imprisoned Simm

Edward Lucas is an Economist writer, based in London, with a stint in Moscow. The interviews are an 'exclusive' from a comment by a reviewer on:https://www.amazon.com/Deception-Untold-Story-East-West-Espionage/dp/080271157X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472810091&sr=1-1&keywords=Deception%3A+The+Untold+Story+of+East-West+Espionage+Today

Or UK:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deception-Untold-Story-East-West-Espionage/dp/1620403099/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472810296&sr=1-1&keywords=Deception%3A+The+Untold+Story+of+East-West+Espionage+Today

INS in full is Intelligence and National Security which is published six times a year, with a global group of academic and other contributors. The review is behind a paywall.