PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan's Consolidated Fielding Center (CFC)

Anthony Hoh
10-03-2008, 05:28 AM
Few could argue that we (Coalition) have stumbled in several arenas while building the capacity of the ANSF. Frankly, I always think of someone's SWJ moniker that explains the Army as being a guy who keeps hitting himself in the nuts and not knowing why or being able to stop. So much avoidable, self inflicted pain… Fortunately it seems we have created an institution to at least mitigate the blow in Afghanistan, unlike my usual whaling against our (Coalition/Self included) silliness. I actually have a fairly positive thread to put forward.

In the past as new BN/KDK and BDE's were formed their equipment was sent forward to the incoming CORP. Unfortunately, by the time the unit arrived, their equipment was already bitched out to other units currently in the fight, or to make up long lasting gaps in those units MTOE/Tashkil. Additionally, the unit was given a self executing 60 day training POI to complete on their arrival. This rarely happened as real world mission requirements and lack of resources prevented the unit form completing the training.

How were doing it now, units are being formed at the CFC, they receive their equipment and are given time to complete a 45 day training POI. Units then move with everything to their new region, trained and with their equipment. It is very reminiscent of the COHORT program conducted back in the late 80's early 90's.

Is their still some problems, oh yes… 45 days does not really scratch the surface in creating a COIN savvy, logistically capable, well honed fighting machine. As with any new organization getting warehouse support to actually deliver the equipment to the units on time remains a challenge, some units are being sent forward without all of their required equipment. ANA doctrine that determines what collective task an ANA unit needs to perform to meets its METL is still soup. However, this is unquestionably a step in the right direction for fielding new ANA units. I didn’t see CFC in any other links and wanted to make the SWJ community informed of it.

Tom Odom
10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Tony,

Good news and good post. Someone is thinking.

Roberto made the 8 list!

Best

Tom

Entropy
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM
It's great to hear some good news from Afghanistan - too often it's only the bad. It sounds like you guys are really making some progress with the ANA.