PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s Pentagon-in-Waiting

SWJED
11-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Obama’s Pentagon-in-Waiting (http://washingtonindependent.com/17710/obama) - Spencer Akerman, Washington Independent

The rumor started to spread last week. if Sen. Barack Obama won the presidential election, Michele Flournoy would resign from the Center for a New American Security Thursday following the election. Friday at the latest.

It’s not difficult to understand why the talk circulated. Flournoy boasts an enviable resume. A veteran of the Clinton Pentagon, she worked on counter-proliferation issues before playing a large role in shaping the 2001 Quadrennial Defense Review, an overview of defense strategy and its implementation.

After leaving government service, Flournoy took a high-profile job at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a prominent Washington policy organization, before co-founding the Center for a New American Security, an increasingly influential defense think tank, in 2007.

It’s not just Flournoy. CNAS, as it’s known, is widely considered a likely feeder for the Obama Pentagon, though the organization disputes this — preferring to bill itself as nonpartisan. What CNAS does not dispute is that, over the course of the past two years — overnight, in Washington terms — it has emerged as an energetic center for studying contemporary defense issues, including Iraq, counterinsurgency and the national-security effects of climate change...

reed11b
11-09-2008, 04:44 AM
How does the counsil feel about this organization? I really do not know eneogh to have an opinion, but the names that I did recognize did not make me think "oh no, not that blowhard" like most of the advisors from early in the Bush administration did. Some of Clinton's "advisors" also had the same effect for me. Any word on if Obama is going to use Clark in some capacity, speaking of Clinton era blowhards?
Reed

Cavguy
11-09-2008, 04:49 AM
How does the counsil feel about this organization? I really do not know eneogh to have an opinion, but the names that I did recognize did not make me think "oh no, not that blowhard" like most of the advisors from early in the Bush administration did. Some of Clinton's "advisors" also had the same effect for me. Any word on if Obama is going to use Clark in some capacity, speaking of Clinton era blowhards?
Reed

Clark was solidly in the Clinton camp during the primary, and said nasty things about Obama. I doubt we'll see him get appointed.

John T. Fishel
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
of the CNAS folk. John Nagl is a friend; he is "wicked smart." He is also very knowledgeable about COIN and was a principal author of 3-24. If he were to become ASD-SO/LIC (as the article speculates) it would enhance the profile of LIC (SASO/MOOTW/Small Wars and the 100 other names). But, I'm not sure that John has the full confidence of the sOF community - it is something he would have to earn.

The other person I know is Michelle Flournoy. I met her when she was Principal DASD for Strategy (and Sarah Sewell, now at Harvard, was DASD for PKO) and I was doing a couple of research papers under contract for her office. She was extremely impressive. I saw her again at a conference in DC when she was working at CSIS and was again impressed. I think she would make a superb SECDEF (if the new Admin couldn't work something out with Gates) - more likely would be USD-Policy where she would be outstanding.

While I don't know Nate Fick, his book, ONE BULLET AWAY, is excellent and Nagl is quite high on him.

To get a better feel for all these people, look at the CNAS website and read some of their papers.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

JohnT

tequila
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Some more wild speculation from around the Web:

Frank Riccardione (http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/nationalsecurity/2008/11/new-man-in-bagh.html) as new U.S. ambassador to Iraq?

Possible CIA heads: Jane Harman, Tony Lake, Tim Roemer, John Brennan? (http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/spytalk/2008/11/who-will-run-cia.html)

James Steinberg (http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2008/11/10742_transition_rumi.html) for National Security Advisor? Other names in the mix for prominent national security and diplomatic positions: Susan Rice, former USMC commandant James L. Jones, Richard Lugar, John Kerry, Richard Danzig (most likely new SecDef), Ashton Carter.

Umar Al-Mokhtār
11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
key are the meat-and-potatos ASD/DASD positions. I'll be interested to see who becomes ASD(SO/LIC-IC) should Mike Vickers leave and DASD(SOC) should Gunner Sepp also depart and who will be tapped to fill in the remaining three ASD slots in that shop.

Which also begs the question, there's a DASD(SOC) but no DASD(COIN) or a DASD(LIC). I may just point that out and suggest one be created... :D

Tom Odom
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Some more wild speculation from around the Web:

Frank Riccardione (http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/nationalsecurity/2008/11/new-man-in-bagh.html) as new U.S. ambassador to Iraq?

Possible CIA heads: Jane Harman, Tony Lake, Tim Roemer, John Brennan? (http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/spytalk/2008/11/who-will-run-cia.html)

James Steinberg (http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2008/11/10742_transition_rumi.html) for National Security Advisor? Other names in the mix for prominent national security and diplomatic positions: Susan Rice, former USMC commandant James L. Jones, Richard Lugar, John Kerry, Richard Danzig (most likely new SecDef), Ashton Carter.

I know Susan and as she has already been Assistant Sec State for Africa, I would guess she is in the running for Sec State or US Ambassador to the UN. She was excellebt when I worked with her; she was to me one of the few really bright spots in the Clinton foreign policy arena.

We will see.

Tom

John T. Fishel
11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
a DASD for LIC (or maybe just a Director but there were no DASDs at the time).

Cheers

JohnT

SWJED
11-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflict & Interdependent Capabilities (ASD SO/LIC & IC) (http://www.defenselink.mil/policy/sections/policy_offices/solic/)

Special Operations Capabilities (SOC) (http://www.defenselink.mil/policy/sections/policy_offices/solic/ct/index.html)

Stability Operations (http://www.defenselink.mil/policy/sections/policy_offices/solic/stabilityOps/index.html)

Ken White
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
of the CNAS folk. John Nagl is a friend; he is "wicked smart." He is also very knowledgeable about COIN and was a principal author of 3-24. If he were to become ASD-SO/LIC (as the article speculates) it would enhance the profile of LIC (SASO/MOOTW/Small Wars and the 100 other names).But, I'm not sure that John has the full confidence of the sOF community - it is something he would have to earn. (emphasis added /kw)I think there's more to it than them having confidence in him. While we all decry parochiality, in the end most of us tend to be a least a little so inclined -- some are, through sad experience, a great deal inclined that way...

While smarts count, experience and a degree of anointation (< new word...) are uh, highly desirable if not borderline mandatory. There. Now we've both understated. :D

Entropy
11-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Here are some more potentials (http://intellibriefs.blogspot.com/2008/11/obama-campaigns-intelligence-advisors.html) for intelligence and national security positions.

Ken White
11-09-2008, 06:30 PM
are scary. It coulda been worse... :(

selil
11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I was asked by an anonymous entity from DOD (republican appointee) if I would accept a low (basement) level appointment. The nature of the request is moot. What I thought was interesting though was a republican appointee may be helping find future democrat appointees. It would seem to me in the trenches the political sillyness is a bit tempered by mission needs.

Ken White
11-09-2008, 07:02 PM
... It would seem to me in the trenches the political sillyness is a bit tempered by mission needs.Only in the elective position arenas does the partisan stupidity generally get overpoweringly disgusting and unhelpful. You get a few appointees who get caught up in that but most really do not. Congress and the WH and their respective staffers are problematic, though, no question.

Stan
11-11-2008, 07:07 AM
"... we asked 10 of the world’s top thinkers (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4507) to name the unlikely team that can best guide No. 44 through the turbulent years ahead."

Surprisingly enough, not one of these thinkers agreed on who would best fill the job of Director of National Intelligence.

However, some of my personal favorites among the choices are:

Arnold Schwarzenegger *BONUS PICK (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4507&page=2)
Secretary for Energy and the Environment
The Governator has proven himself to be a get-the-job-done environmentalist who commands international respect. To address this increasingly vital area properly, the next president must view energy and the environment as two sides of the same coin.

Sarah Palin *BONUS PICK (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4507&page=3) :D
U.S. Ambassador to Russia
The governor’s taste for hunting, plain-spoken talk, and foxy boots—not to mention long years of staring at Russia from Alaska—ensure a special relationship with Putin.

This pick will definitely make life more interesting at Foggy Bottom and at posts around the world :D

Bill Clinton
Secretary of State (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4507&page=5)
There is no more popular American in the world than the former president, and no one else with comparable energy, knowledge, experience, and credibility to undo the negative stereotypes that have grown out of Washington’s conduct after 9/11.

Cavguy
11-11-2008, 07:16 AM
"... we asked 10 of the world’s top thinkers (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4507) to name the unlikely team that can best guide No. 44 through the turbulent years ahead."

Surprisingly enough, not one of these thinkers agreed on who would best fill the job of Director of National Intelligence.

However, some of my personal favorites among the choices are:

This pick will definitely make life more interesting at Foggy Bottom and at posts around the world :D

Interesting almost most of them selected Robert Gates to continue as SecDef ...

Rob Thornton
11-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Interesting almost most of them selected Robert Gates to continue as SecDef ..

That was an easy one. Less so was the Sec State, and some of the others. Since it was allot like Fantasy Football, I decided to go with the write in option on several of them. I was thinking Zinni for State.:cool: I heard him speak up at Carlisle and was impressed.

Best Rob

bourbon
11-14-2008, 02:00 AM
REPORT LAYS OUT 10 PRIORITIES FOR OBAMA'S DEFENSE SECRETARY (http://bourbonandlawndarts.googlepages.com/10PrioritiesforObamasSecDef.pdf), by Christopher J. Castelli. Inside the Pentagon, Vol. 24, No. 46, 13 November 2008. (PDF)

Improving the Pentagon's acquisition performance as well as its processes for strategic guidance, programming and budgeting should be top priorities for the new administration, according to a new report on transition issues from the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Inside the Pentagon reviewed an advance copy of the report, which says the study team focused on crafting recommendations that would improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the next defense secretary.

Kathleen Hicks spearheaded the review for CSIS. The think tank is led by John Hamre, who also chairs the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board and is reportedly being considered for an Obama administration post.

Michèle Flournoy, who co-chairs the Obama camp's DOD transition team, was one of the defense experts consulted by CSIS during the review.

The study lays out 10 top priorities in order of what is most important to fix at the Pentagon. Bolstering acquisition performance leads the list. The defense secretary "must focus the acquisition community on institutionalizing recent guidance, restoring a defense acquisition workforce, and providing cost realism in setting program requirements," the report says.

Uboat509
11-14-2008, 02:16 AM
I would have have liked to see Ken considered for SECDEF but I seriously doubt that the Obama administration would be comfortable initiating the rendition protocols that would be required to get him into the job.:D

SFC W

Cavguy
11-14-2008, 02:46 AM
That was an easy one. Less so was the Sec State, and some of the others. Since it was allot like Fantasy Football, I decided to go with the write in option on several of them. I was thinking Zinni for State.:cool: I heard him speak up at Carlisle and was impressed.

Best Rob

I think Zinni would be a great SecState. Pragmatic and grounded.

SWJED
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
I wrote in Zinni for State also.

Ken White
11-14-2008, 03:24 AM
I would have have liked to see Ken considered for SECDEF but I seriously doubt that the Obama administration would be comfortable initiating the rendition protocols that would be required to get him into the job.:D

SFC Wthe work force at the five sided funny farm as being a non-starter; something about job losses and irate voters. They also want to save dipwad auto makers who can't read the market and try to lead it. Something about Unions...

So obviously they aren't really serious about changing the world... ;)

Beelzebubalicious
11-14-2008, 03:39 AM
sanitorium

120mm
11-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Is this kind of like Fantasy Football?

Steve Blair
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I think Zinni would be a great SecState. Pragmatic and grounded.

But doesn't that almost automatically disqualify him?:D

jkm_101_fso
11-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Obama, Clinton meet in Chicago

CHICAGO -- President-elect Barack Obama has met with his former rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, and is considering her as a possible candidate for secretary of state, Democratic officials said.

Clinton was rumored to be a contender for the job last week, but the talk died down as party activists questioned whether she was best-suited to be the top U.S. diplomat in an Obama administration. The talk resumed Thursday, a day after Obama named several former aides to President Bill Clinton to help run his transition effort.

A Democratic official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information, said the two met Thursday afternoon in Obama's Chicago office.

Clinton's motorcade -- she receives Secret Service protection as a former first lady -- was seen leaving the office complex shortly before Obama left for the day. Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines would say only "Senator Clinton had no public schedule yesterday," and referred questions to the Obama transition team, which said it had no comment.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/13/officials-obama-considering-hillary-clinton-secretary-state/

reed11b
11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
the work force at the five sided funny farm as being a non-starter; something about job losses and irate voters. They also want to save dipwad auto makers who can't read the market and try to lead it. Something about Unions...

So obviously they aren't really serious about changing the world... ;)
Of course, as producers of a real product, as opposed to financial markets, I could see greater rationalization for supporting manufacturers. Other then that, I'd support Ken for a cabinet level position :D

Ken White
11-14-2008, 06:55 PM
who sabotaged me!!! ;)

jmm99
11-14-2008, 07:42 PM
is that a new cabinet-level position has been created in the Obama TOE, the Directorate of Congressional Oversight, Liaison & Development (DCOLD). The only appointee, strongly recommended by Charlie Crist, is a Floridian, Ken White.

Ken White
11-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Charlie is a slime ball and that Congress is essentially the place to pass out 535 T-Shirts with the legend "Beware of stupid people in large groups" your idea has merit. Which is more than I can say for Congress...

I'm not a Floridian; I'm a Kentuckian who lives in Florida because he can afford to escape Kentucky's mild winters. Given your winters, I'd move to Tahiti...

However, we appreciate your support. ;)

Uboat509
11-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Given your winters, I'd move to Tahiti...

However, we appreciate your support. ;)

Hence, the rendition protocols. One moment you are sitting on your porch watching the mosquitoes eat an alligator or what ever it is people do in Florida when they are not at Disney World and the next you wake up in a room with a desk, a computer, a fully stocked wet bar (no need to be cruel) and a big DOD symbol with with a note that says "Make it better." :D

SFC W

jonSlack
11-14-2008, 11:47 PM
of the CNAS folk. John Nagl is a friend; he is "wicked smart." He is also very knowledgeable about COIN and was a principal author of 3-24. If he were to become ASD-SO/LIC (as the article speculates) it would enhance the profile of LIC (SASO/MOOTW/Small Wars and the 100 other names). But, I'm not sure that John has the full confidence of the sOF community - it is something he would have to earn.

Any possibility of John Nagl becoming Secretary of the Army?

For DASD SO/LIC, does Michael Vickers need to be replaced? Or, are there any calls for him to stay on for at least the beginning of the new administration?

Ken White
11-15-2008, 01:17 AM
... a fully stocked wet bar (no need to be cruel) and a big DOD symbol with with a note that says "Make it better." :DIf your 'fully' and mine are the same, no sweat-i-da; we can do that... :D

Old Eagle
11-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Sorry, Slack. Nagl can't be SA, nor would he want to be (yet). That job is not for a SME, but for a political shaker and mover with business ties. Remember -- DA does Title 10 boring stuff, but with massive $$$ attached.

Van
11-15-2008, 02:09 AM
As long as GEN (ret) Merrill McPeak USAF, GEN (ret) Wesley Clark USA, and LTGEN (ret) Ricardo Sanchez USA aren't placed in positions of authority, we could be doing worse.

A real long shot that he'd keep SECDEF Gates, but a strong case can be made for it. I think the DNI, DCI, and National Security Advisor picks will be extremely telling. Continuity in these posts, especially keeping GEN (ret)Hayden USAF, as DCI, would be good for the country, but not so good for the perpetual election campaign of modern politics, Maybe we'll get really lucky and PRES (elect) Obama will scrap the DNI position and hold the DCI accountable for what he has, by the CIA's charter, been responsible for all along.

120mm
11-15-2008, 02:26 AM
as long as gen (ret) merrill mcpeak usaf, gen (ret) wesley clark usa, and ltgen (ret) ricardo sanchez usa aren't placed in positions of authority, we could be doing worse.

+10000

ipopescu
11-15-2008, 03:02 AM
A real long shot that he'd keep SECDEF Gates, but a strong case can be made for it. I think the DNI, DCI, and National Security Advisor picks will be extremely telling. Continuity in these posts, especially keeping GEN (ret)Hayden USAF, as DCI, would be good for the country, but not so good for the perpetual election campaign of modern politics, Maybe we'll get really lucky and PRES (elect) Obama will scrap the DNI position and hold the DCI accountable for what he has, by the CIA's charter, been responsible for all along.

I've had the chance to have it confirmed by a top Democratic defense expert that Obama wants Gates to stay and will ask him to do so. It all depends if Gates accepts, and on what conditions.

jmm99
11-15-2008, 04:30 AM
you could contribute to the welfare of Dublin, Ireland, by gambling your hard-earned dollars here (no opinion on the legality thereof):

http://www.intrade.com/

Don't plan on contributing myself; but the site has the odds on Hillary, Kerry, Gates, etc. Interesting site - heard of it many times; first time there tonite (honest).

Neat charts - Gates below.

bourbon
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
For DASD SO/LIC, does Michael Vickers need to be replaced? Or, are there any calls for him to stay on for at least the beginning of the new administration?
Hi jonSlack,
From the article I posted it seems that it's hard to find a replacement for Michael Vickers, and he would probably be asked to stick around for awhile.

The report states that the post of Michael Vickers, assistant secretary for special operations and low-intensity conflict, seems "conspicuously designed" to fit Vickers' background. "It is unlikely another person would have a professional background as well suited to this position as the incumbent," the report notes. "As a result, it is not clear that in subsequent administrations it will be possible to fill this position with an individual who can succeed across the very broad span of control in this organization for which this OASD is responsible," CSIS writes.

jonSlack
11-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Washington Times - Obama eyes posts for Cleland, Holder (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/19/obama-eyes-posts-for-cleland-holder/)

President-elect Barack Obama is quickly shaping his White House staff and policy - considering former Sen. Max Cleland and Eric H. Holder Jr. for top administration posts and promising governors and world leaders he would pursue an aggressive global-warming plan because "denial is no longer an acceptable response."

A source familiar with transition planning said Mr. Cleland, a Vietnam veteran and triple amputee, is under consideration for either secretary of Veterans Affairs or secretary of the Army in an Obama administration, and liberal grass-roots support is building for his selection.

mmx1
11-21-2008, 09:41 PM
CNN reporting Gen. Jim Jones is a leading choice for NSA:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/21/sources-jones-leading-choice-for-national-security-advisor/

120mm
11-22-2008, 12:29 AM
And don't even THINK about making any "Kool-Aid" jokes.....:mad:;)

jkm_101_fso
11-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Obama Plans to Retain Gates at Defense Department

-PETER BAKER and THOM SHANKER

WASHINGTON — President-elect Barack Obama has decided to keep Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates in his post, a show of bipartisan continuity in a time of war that will be the first time a Pentagon chief has been carried over from a president of a different party, Democrats close to the transition said Tuesday.

Mr. Obama’s advisers were nearing a formal agreement with Mr. Gates to stay on for perhaps a year, the Democrats said, and they expected to announce the decision as early as next week, along with other choices for the national security team. The two sides have been working out details on how Mr. Gates would wield authority in a new administration.

The move will give the new president a defense secretary with support on both sides of the aisle in Congress, as well as experience with foreign leaders around the world and respect among the senior military officer corps. But two years after President Bush picked him to lead the armed forces, Mr. Gates will now have to pivot from serving the commander in chief who started the Iraq war to serving one who has promised to end it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/us/politics/26gates.html?bl&ex=1227848400&en=5a50becfbe5bac73&ei=5087%0A

Tom Odom
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Susan Rice is an excellent choice. I met her on that visit and was impressed by her intellect and her willingness to speak and act clearly, with a corresponding intolerance for those who would dissimulate or quibble.

Choice for U.N. Backs Action Against Mass Killings (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/us/politics/01rice.html?ref=world)

...During her first run at the State Department, Ms. Rice was a point person in responding to Al Qaeda’s 1998 bombing of United States Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. But her most searing experience was visiting Rwanda after the 1994 genocide when she was still on the N.S.C. staff.

As she later described the scene, the hundreds, if not thousands, of decomposing, hacked up bodies that she saw haunted her and fueled a desire to never let it happen again.

“I swore to myself that if I ever faced such a crisis again, I would come down on the side of dramatic action, going down in flames if that was required,” she told The Atlantic Monthly in 2001. She eventually became a sharp critic of the Bush administration’s handling of the Darfur killings and last year testified before Congress on behalf of an American-led bombing campaign or naval blockade to force a recalcitrant Sudanese government to stop the slaughter.

Steve Blair
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
He did officially pick Jones as NSA, according to BBC, and Gates is also officially on (although they're listing him as the one Republican appointed to a cabinet post).

Tom Odom
12-01-2008, 05:31 PM
He did officially pick Jones as NSA, according to BBC, and Gates is also officially on (although they're listing him as the one Republican appointed to a cabinet post).

Funny I heard a Democratic party wonk this AM on CNN refer to him as "Admiral Jones" :D

Steve Blair
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Funny I heard a Democratic party wonk this AM on CNN refer to him as "Admiral Jones" :D

Well...ya know...all those Joneses out there....it's easy for a talking head to get confused. Besides...general, admiral, marshal...it's all the same uniform, ain't it? Now if he'd gotten confused and referred to Representative Kennedy...that would be a whole other deal.....;)

Adam L
12-01-2008, 11:58 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Gates is being kept on as part of a political ploy to appear bipartisan and moderate. I think Gates will last 2, maybe 3 years. All Obama has to do is wait 12-18 months and then force a disagreement, which will lead to his "disappointment" in the Secretary. At this point, the American people will view anything other than fairytale results (the good kind) in Iraq as failure. (They already do.) Eventually, Obama can make it a living hell for Gates to do his job, which will lead to Gates resignation. Well, that's what I would do if I were in Obama's position. Well.....if I were a politician.

Adam L

Bob's World
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
While I agree with an assessment that Gates tenure under Obama will be shorter than Obama's administration, I believe this to be by mutually agreed pre-design, both because Gates does not want to do this forever, and because Obama recognizes that none of the politicos sitting in the thinktank wings are better than what he has right now. I expect the lower ranks of senior civilians will begin transitioning right away, with a full transition in 2-3 years.

I do not believe there is any ill intent or some "tricking" of Gates that requires some contrived drama replace him later.

Uboat509
12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I can't find the quote but I thought that I had read that Gates only wanted to do the job for another year anyway.

SFC W

John T. Fishel
12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
speculates about the DEPSEC and Under Secretary positions as well as ASD-SO/LIC. DEPSEC they suggest Richard Danzig, Michelle Flournoy, and aomebody else. USD-P they mention Michelle again as well as her co-chairing the DOD transition team. SO/LIC speculates Vickers stays.

My own preference for the post Gates SECDEF is Michelle Flournoy - she is smart and knowledgeable and genuinely good folk.

Cheers

JohnT

Van
12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Think about some of the self-serving military "experts" Pres. Elect Obama could have picked for the top DoD slot (Clark, Sanchez, and McPeak, as previously mentioned) or as the National Security Advisor. He could have easily nominated and carried an appointtee with worse military credentials than Sen. Clinton. Obama has a history of telling campaign donors and political supporters who try to coerce him "Thank you for your support, now get out of my way", and this is mostly consistent to the pattern.

I'm thinking the far left of the Democratic party is going to be very embittered and insisting that Pres. Obama doesn't have a 'mandate' in a few years. The down side is that too many Republicans will oppose him simply because he's a Democrat. If he keeps this up, the next few years might be OK.

jmm99
12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Here is one of many examples you can find from the left.

Right-Wingers and Neocons Love Obama's Cabinet Appointments
Posted by Jeremy Scahill, AlterNet at 9:51 AM on November 30, 2008.
A collection of praise for Obama's White House team from Karl Rove, David Brooks, Henry Kissinger and more. ....

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/109160/right-wingers_and_neocons_love_obama%27s_cabinet_appoint ments/

and from the right

December 1, 2008
The End of the Affair
Obama and the antiwar movement
by Justin Raimondo
As the euphoria of the Obama cult builds toward a climax and the pundits declaim the advent of Something Big, it's the small changes that concern me, particularly those that touch directly on my job, which is to sniff out the War Party wherever it is presently burrowed. The election of Barack Obama has been the signal for many of them to migrate like fleas from the carcasses of the campaigns they attached themselves to and hop on the warm body of the new administration, which presents a rather large target. It's a new day, and in the age of Obama, the War Party's battalions are massed on the ostensible Left. Now that's the kind of change I can believe in.
Dionne's point, however, is this:

"Obama's national security choices are already causing grumbling from parts of the antiwar left, even if Obama made clear six years ago that while he was with them on Iraq, he was not one of them."

If you "progressives" are now feeling like someone who's been kicked out of bed before dawn, on one pretext or another – "Boy, was I drunk last night! I don't remember a thing!" – well, then, you can't say you weren't warned.

http://antiwar.com/justin/

jmm99
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
A good article naming the potential players.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/01/AR2008120102891_pf.html

Adam L
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I do not believe there is any ill intent or some "tricking" of Gates that requires some contrived drama replace him later.

I was in no way suggeting anyone was "tricking" Gates, but I do believe that there is almost ALWAYS some ill intent in situations like this. Also, what I was trying to point out is that the set up is so good that the "drama" would not appear to be "contrived." I hope Uboat is correct in that Gates does not wish to continue as Sec. Def. for more than a year or so.

Adam L

Ron Humphrey
12-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I was in no way suggeting anyone was "tricking" Gates, but I do believe that there is almost ALWAYS some ill intent in situations like this. Also, what I was trying to point out is that the set up is so good that the "drama" would not appear to be contrived. I hope Uboat is correct in that Gates does not want to keep the job for more than a year or so.

Adam L

Have you considered that just possibly the new Pres just might figure that if he wants to get anywhere on his economic/social agendas here it is probably wiser to keep whats working so far on the defense side so as to not sidetrack his long term goals.

I too worry that perhaps Gates might at some point be drawn into some type of principled confrontation but honestly that might not be as big a deal since he never advocated to stay on in the first place. The way its happening now however does at least provide him with the ability to perhaps have a much more well informed replacement whenever that might take place.

IMHO he could stay on as long as it takes to fix whats broken but not sure anyone would actually expect that of him.

Uboat509
12-03-2008, 12:55 AM
I stand corrected (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/02/gates-says-commitment-defense-secretary-open-ended/).

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, speaking one day after he was formally tapped to stay on in the next administration, said Tuesday he has made an "open-ended" agreement to remain at the helm of the nation's military under Barack Obama.

SFC W

Adam L
12-03-2008, 02:39 AM
Have you considered that just possibly the new Pres just might figure that if he wants to get anywhere on his economic/social agendas here it is probably wiser to keep whats working so far on the defense side so as to not sidetrack his long term goals.

Yes, I have considered that, but I don't believe it to be so. In my opinion, a poor situation in Iraq would not hamper his ability to push his economic/social agendas. Most Americans are completely oblivious to what is actually going on in Iraq. A lot of Americans will always feel we are doing poorly in Iraq because they want to feel that way because of their social philosophy. A lot of Americans will always feel we are doing well in Iraq becaue the want to feel that way because of their social philosophy. The only political ramification of the Iraq War is whether or not we are in Iraq and what "stage" (increasing or reducing troops) we are in.

Adam L

Umar Al-Mokhtār
12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I would not be surprised if the DepSecDef nod goes to either Danzig or Flournoy. Then in about nine months to a year Secretary Gates leaves as agreed and the Deputy is elevated to be the Secretary. I do not see "some type of principled confrontation" having to be concocted for Gate's departure. He's wanted to go back to A&M since day one. Perhaps we should instead give Obama credit for seeing it as unwise to change horses abruptly in the middle of the race. There's a possibility he has decided that keeping Gates at the helm for a period of time allows for a smoother transformation and allows his choice (if he has one) to get a firm hand on the reins before the turnover.

Let's hope that the folks that work for the next NSA don't end up drinking any Kool Aide (I so had to throw that out there). :D

Adam L
12-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Let's hope that the folks that work for the next NSA don't end up drinking any Kool Aide (I so had to throw that out there). :D

Wasn't it just hilarious when they were tossing around his name on the same day they were airing their piece on Jonestown. It took me a minute to figure out who they were talking about. :D I swear that for a second I thought Anderson Cooper was going to crack a joke about Jim Jones drinking the kool aide this time around. (For anyone who has missed it, AC has made a lot of "kool aide" comments during and since the convention about people who really believe in "Change." I never thought AC would seem to be the most cynical of everyone at CNN. How times have changed.)

Adam L

Icebreaker
12-04-2008, 08:29 AM
The Beltway Insiders and Pundits say the following about Gates retention:

1. He wants to go and at most will stay a year, and

2. That most of his Deputy and Assistant Secretaries he currently has will leave, and be replaced.

The concern is that Item #2 will leave him isolated and ineffective during his remaining tenure. I think Secretary Gates has done a great job and he should be treated as an outstanding resource by the incoming administration.

120mm
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Gead, I KNEW someone was just going to have to go there....

Old Eagle
12-04-2008, 02:47 PM
That's not exactly how it works.

We change out political appointees so that the incoming administration has a modicum of control over the bureaucracy. The alternative is "Yes, Minister" of BBC fame.

Gates will work with White & Flournoy to ensure he gets a team that he can work with. There will be compromises, but for now it's his organization. In fact, one could argue that he'll have more say over the new team than he had over the old one. Gates has also shown that he is willing to fire those who cross him.

Bottom line, I'm not expecting a bunch of fireworks on this.

Umar Al-Mokhtār
12-04-2008, 04:00 PM
the pundits are right on Icebreaker's #2. The direct reports to the SecDef are all PASs and the new adminstration has the perogative to appoint new ones, regardless of whether the present PSA wants to stay. Some have already begun to depart (Ryan Henry and Tina Jonas being the most prominent). My own punditry feels that Obama will work with Gates on vetting candidates.

wm
12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
the pundits are right on Icebreaker's #2. The direct reports to the SecDef are all PASs and the new adminstration has the perogative to appoint new ones, regardless of whether the present PSA wants to stay. Some have already begun to depart (Ryan Henry and Tina Jonas being the most prominent).
The DepSecDef's official announcement that he's out the door come 20 Jan is on the official DoD web site too.

Old Eagle
12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Absolutely.

The expectation/protocol is that every political appointee of the last administration will submit his/her resignation effective Inauguration Day or before. In many cases this causes a mad rush for the door, in order to get the best positions in the civilian world, pending a reversal of political fortunes. Other times, folks stay on to the bitter end.

At the beginning of the Clinton administration, new appointments were slow. In OSD, that led to the situation where Jim Locher (a known entity to both parties from his SASC days) was asked to stay on in his ASD, SOLIC position and sign secretarial-level documents as the "senior civilian official".

Bush 43 left several political ambassadors in place just to prevent too much disruption in the foreign policy arena.

I am cautiously optimistic that the early naming of intended appointees will actually stabilize the transition process.

John T. Fishel
12-04-2008, 06:46 PM
that part of the discussions (negotiations) with Sec Gates involved who he was comfortable working with. I don't believe that President-elect Obama will appoint a DEPSEc or a USD who is unacceptable to Gates. Lower level political appointees may be more problematic but they will be the problems of the USDs. That said, there are a bunch of talented folk who held political appointments in the Clinton administration who would likely be very acceptable to Sec Gates.

Cheers

JohnT