PDA

View Full Version : The US at the crossroads...

Ken White
11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Not only the US Army faces a 'crossroads' decision, so does the nation in many respects. With respect to foreign policy and the necessarily interwoven national defense strategy choices will likely be made in the near future.

This possibility brings many would be advisers out of the woodwork (allegory purposely chosen). I ran across this today:
"The election of Barack Obama to be the 44th president is profoundly historic. We have at long last been able to come together in a way that has eluded us in the long history of our great country. We should celebrate this triumph of the true spirit of America.
Something more might be needed to deal with Israeli security concerns about turning over territory to a Palestinian government incapable of securing Israel against terrorist activity. That could be dealt with by deploying an international peacekeeping force, such as one from NATO, which could not only replace Israeli security but train Palestinian troops to become effective." LINK to complete OpEd from The Washington Post. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/20/AR2008112003008.html?hpid=opinionsbox1)

I note, sadly, that it is penned by two former National Security advisers whose track record will, I hope, cause their improbable advice to be ignored. What I found particularly troublesome, in addition to the NATO suggestion, was this:
"This weakness can be overcome by the president speaking out clearly and forcefully about the fundamental principles of the peace process; he also must press the case with steady determination. That initiative should then be followed -- not preceded -- by the appointment of a high-level dignitary to pursue the process on the president's behalf, a process based on the enunciated presidential guidelines. Such a presidential initiative should instantly galvanize support, both domestic and international, and provide great encouragement to the Israeli and Palestinian peoples." (emphasis added / kw) Such an expression of US arrogance and ego is bothersome to say the least -- those are the things that have put us where we are. We probably need to revisit just what the US can and should really do...

Tom Odom
11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Not only the US Army faces a 'crossroads' decision, so does the nation in many respects. With respect to foreign policy and the necessarily interwoven national defense strategy choices will likely be made in the near future.

This possibility brings many would be advisers out of the woodwork (allegory purposely chosen). I ran across this today: LINK to complete OpEd from The Washington Post. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/20/AR2008112003008.html?hpid=opinionsbox1)

I note, sadly, that it is penned by two former National Security advisers whose track record will, I hope, cause their improbable advice to be ignored. What I found particularly troublesome, in addition to the NATO suggestion, was this:Such an expression of US arrogance and ego is bothersome to say the least -- those are the things that have put us where we are. We probably need to revisit just what the US can and should really do...

I fear you are correct on the advisors and I hope that someone would go back to the "art of the possible" when dealing in strategy and policy.

The realist in me says my fears are a 5x more likely to occur than my hopes.

Tom

Entropy
11-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Good and timely post, Ken.