PDA

View Full Version : Riot Control Training

reed11b
12-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Back in '97, my battalion did about 80 hours of riot control training prior to deploying to Guam to watch over Kurdish refugees. I have attempted to locate the name of the training or documentation on what the training covered and have had no luck. It included extra combatives training, baton training, pepper spray familiarity, crowd control formations, crisis intervention, crowd disbursement, extra restraints training, etc. Anybody have any idea where I can get more information?
Reed

120mm
12-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Back in '97, my battalion did about 80 hours of riot control training prior to deploying to Guam to watch over Kurdish refugees. I have attempted to locate the name of the training or documentation on what the training covered and have had no luck. It included extra combatives training, baton training, pepper spray familiarity, crowd control formations, crisis intervention, crowd disbursement, extra restraints training, etc. Anybody have any idea where I can get more information?
Reed

Since it's a National Guard core issue, each and every armory should have a POI, to include the reg. I recall seeing it at my last NG command, but don't recall the name or number.

Drake
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM
An 80 hour civil disturbance POI like what you describe from the 90's sounds exactly like the USMC's non lethal capabilities training package. The Marines took proponency for non lethal in the 90's, and one of their products was the non lethal weapons instructor course. What the graduates of this course could do was provide a unit non-lethal course which was essentially a riot control course that included pressure point control techniques, OC spray, riot control formations, and the like. As an Army guy, we've used the POI a lot in the last 10 years with local modifications to accommodate specific unit requirements. You used to be able to Google it, but it appears to have been pulled so you may need some advanced internet skills to readily obtain it.

If you go back to the 1960's, the Army had a training POI called ATP 19-6 which dictated a 33 hour or so annual riot control training package. Active duty units with a Garden Plot role and appropriate National Guard units were required to adhere to it. Many NG units continue to follow a state-base version of it today, but often modified for state requirements and laws since the NG would ordinarily conduct riot control under the governor's authority.

reed11b
12-09-2008, 12:59 AM
The training was active Army, is that going to make a difference?
Reed

Drake
12-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Being active Army wouldn't matter. The Marines as DOD proponent provided the instructor training to other services (mostly Army) and those instructors in turn could train any number of units. There's also the fact that the POI used to be easily obtained from the internet so even units lacking a certified instructor could, with competent NCOs, conduct most of it to standard. For a mission like you describe, a certain number of qualified instructors would likely have been mandated to conduct the training. That's actually the easiest way for an Army guy to get the Marine school - when a JCS order mandates it. The Marines used the school to train instructors for their MEU's. Typical pre-OIF MEU would have one company trained for riot control. Over the years a number of Army MPs have gotten the instructor course so the knowledge is pretty well populated out there now. I believe Marine MPs have the lead for this within USMC and the instructor course is at Fort Leanord Wood where Army and Marine MP schools are collocated.