PDA

View Full Version : Army Sends 'Dear John Doe' Letters to Families of Fallen Troops

jkm_101_fso
01-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Wow (sigh). I would say I can't believe this...

Army Sends 'Dear John Doe' Letters to Families of Fallen Troops
By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 8, 2009; Page A05

The Army mistakenly sent letters addressed "Dear John Doe" to 7,000 family members of soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan, unleashing calls from troubled relatives and prompting a formal apology yesterday from the Army's top general.

"The indication that anyone would perceive that a hero is not significant, that they would not direct this personally to them, is shattering," said Merrilee Carlson, whose son, Sgt. Michael Carlson, died in Baqubah, Iraq, on Jan. 24, 2005. "While it's a simple mistake, it's a very tragic mistake," said Carlson, who learned of the letter from other families and expected to receive one yesterday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/07/AR2009010703430.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Stan
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Pathetic and sadly very typical :mad:

We had folks in DC mailing LOMs with Dear John Doe on the certificates signed by a Four Star. Some Delta Hotel opened the manual and typed the text verbatim, and if that wasn't sufficient, the General's secretary stamped it gone :rolleyes:

Pathetic

Wow (sigh). I would say I can't believe this...

Schmedlap
01-09-2009, 12:48 AM
I don't see how this could have happened. There surely must have been a green gumdrop in the table of a PowerPoint slide that verified this matter was handled properly before the letter was put in the mail.

Ron Humphrey
01-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't see how this could have happened. There surely must have been a green gumdrop in the table of a PowerPoint slide that verified this matter was handled properly before the letter was put in the mail.

But we all know what slide 101 is like after 1-99 and before 102-.....