PDA

View Full Version : Drunk on COIN success

Entropy
03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
....literally (http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/detail.jsp?key=356160&rc=wo&p=1&all=1):

The American soldier stepped out of the Baghdad nightclub. In one hand, he clutched his weapon. In the other, a green can of Tuborg beer. He took a sip and walked over to two comrades, dressed as he was in camouflage and combat gear.

Inside the club Thursday night, U.S. soldiers of the 82nd Airborne Division ogled young Iraqi women who appeared to be prostitutes gyrating to Arabic pop music. A singer crooned soulfully through scratchy speakers to the raucous, pulsating beat -- an action that Islamic extremists have deemed punishable by beheading.

Twenty minutes later, several drunk men coaxed an American soldier to dance. He awkwardly shuffled his feet, wearing night-vision equipment and a radio, joining the women and boisterous young men in an Arabic chain dance around tables covered with empty beer bottles.

patmc
03-03-2009, 03:00 AM
I read that story and wondered the same thing. It mentioned Soldiers routinely drinking at an Iraqi club, and giving Iraqi women rides in humvees, etc... Sounded a little fishy.

Ken White
03-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Never...:D :D ;)

Schmedlap
03-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Reminds me of Bosnia. When we did our RIP/TOA, another company in our battalion told us that their RIP/TOA consisted of following the outgoing unit to a local brothel, where they were apparently in the habit of simply leaving their weapons and night vision unguarded at the entrance and spending their days inside, paying for various services. The outgoing unit stopped at the brothel to say goodbye to the staff and then, in a rather disinterested manner, pointed out to the incoming personnel, "oh yeah, by the way, the mayor's office is a few blocks in that direction and the police chief works in that building, yonder... you guys got any questions?" They certainly did, but they were rendered too speechless to ask.

I don't know whether to believe the story at the link, but I certainly find it believable.

There were similar issues in 2003, shortly after the invasion and prior to the insurgency taking hold. Soldiers were constantly obtaining alcohol and engaging in other shenanigans. I know of one Soldier who was picked up by MPs doing a curfew enforcement checkpoint in Baghdad in July 2003 because he stole a HMMWV from another unit, went driving around the city alone and unarmed, looking for a brothel. While looking, he picked up an intoxicated man who was armed with a concealed 45 caliber pistol, whom I can only guess he thought would help him to locate said brothel. When the MPs stopped the vehicle and asked the Soldier WTF he was doing, he flat out told them the whole truth. They spent a good 15 minutes trying to determine whether he was lying or whether he was just stupid. As you probably guessed, it was the latter.

Cavguy
03-03-2009, 05:22 AM
From an currently deployed field grade with access to the incident:

Got some updates on this and some points of clarification for those back in CONUS or those who haven't been here since the SOFA.:

1) The Soldiers in question are from a Civil Affairs unit.

2) They did not drink beer. They had a can of Monster energy drink.

As was stated before, I'm sure there's a hell of a 15-6 going on into that article.

Cavguy
03-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Reminds me of Bosnia. When we did our RIP/TOA, another company in our battalion told us that their RIP/TOA consisted of following the outgoing unit to a local brothel, where they were apparently in the habit of simply leaving their weapons and night vision unguarded at the entrance and spending their days inside, paying for various services.

During one of the first VICTORY STRIKE exercises in Poland, 2002, some soldiers in our Brigade Reconaissance Troop decided to hit the local Polish brothel. Of course, they drove their M1025 HMMWV's to the location, and went inside. One night NVG's were stolen from the trucks, which required a 15-6 for loss of a sensitive item. I guess we can figure how that turned out, not the least of which was the relief of the troop commander. It was really painful for the BCT commander, who really adored the BRT CO.

So no, I have no problems believing soldiers are finding action where they can, even taking unnecessary risk in the process.

Ken White
03-03-2009, 05:35 AM
As was stated before, I'm sure there's a hell of a 15-6 going on into that article.Would the Army really waste that much time and effort on a 15-6 over that?

Serious question.

Added:
So no, I have no problems believing soldiers are finding action where they can, even taking unnecessary risk in the process.Nor do I -- that's why I asked; 15-6 over the NOD in peacetime I can see. But stopping in a bar...

stanleywinthrop
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
you mean there are american soldiers who like to hang out with local girls, dance, and drink?????

Who'd a thunk it?

Schmedlap
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
you mean there are american soldiers who like to hang out with local girls, dance, and drink?????

Who'd a thunk it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DEG6BWgp0