PDA

View Full Version : Special Ops in Afghanistan?

stephen_tokyo_shimbun
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi. I'm a reporter with the Tokyo Newspaper, Washington DC bureau. We're working on a story about the nature and challenges of special ops in Afghanistan. If possible, we'd like to interview an officer/NCO/enlisted with insight/experience in Afghanistan. We're interested in learning about the combat environment, general strategy/tactics, cultural considerations, the challenges of distinguishing between enemies and civilians and additional details from your experiences. We're able to travel if an interview can be arranged. Appreciate any assistance/advice you could provide.

Sincerely,
Stephen

stephen@tokyoshimbun.us

DGreen
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Contact SOCOM's Office of Public Affairs.

stephen_tokyo_shimbun
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I have put in a request with them, but I'm hoping to find a veteran for added perspective.

Rough Terrain
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Sir----I suggest you follow DGreen's advice and contact SOCOM's Public Affairs Office. Due to operational security concerns, it is best for all concerned if your credentials are vetted through the proper channels before you proceed further.

Best,

Rough Terrain

stephen_tokyo_shimbun
03-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Sir----I suggest you follow DGreen's advice and contact SOCOM's Public Affairs Office. Due to operational security concerns, it is best for all concerned if your credentials are vetted through the proper channels before you proceed further.

Thank you, sir, appreciate the advice. I have put in a request through the proper military channels, as I am former military, but additionally, I'm looking for an individual no longer in the military who's willing to be interviewed, and of course, I respect what cannot be said regarding covet operations and political questions about US-Afghanistan policy.

sandbag
03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
You could also try each service's special operations command (like USASOC/NAVSPECWAR/AFSOC/MARSOC). They might be more inclined to help.

It might be obvious, but I'd urge caution with former servicemen in this regard; I've often found that someone claiming those kinds of credentials are not entirely forthright about their qualifications. The "quiet professionals" tend to remain just that, while the spoon from 4ID considers having an ODA Jedi Mind Trick a pallet of Red Bull from his DFAC count as "working with special ops". Caveat emptor, I suppose. :)

Thank you, sir, appreciate the advice. I have put in a request through the proper military channels, as I am former military, but additionally, I'm looking for an individual no longer in the military who's willing to be interviewed, and of course, I respect what cannot be said regarding covet operations and political questions about US-Afghanistan policy.