PDA

View Full Version : SWJ and SWC T-Shirts?

Culpeper
05-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Would owning a SWJ or SWC T-Shirt be super cool?

selil
05-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Just as long as it doesn't have lady ga ga on it... shudder.

William F. Owen
05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Just as long as it doesn't have lady ga ga on it... shudder.

Actually your graphic/picture would serve the purpose! We are a "Cyber Community" .... shudder

Van
05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
As senior elected officials say when asked the boxers or briefs question: "Depends".

Can you toss out some visuals? And Selil's avatar is a non-starter:).

Uboat509
05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Actually, my vote would go for the pic in the top left. Either that or the one that LTC (R) Odom is using for his avatar now.:)

SFC W

PS. J. Wolfsberger has an awesome avatar also but I could see copyright problems with that one. :wry:

Stan
05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Concur... But I've got better pics of the (then) Lieutenant Colonel :cool:

Actually, my vote would go for the pic in the top left. Either that or the one that LTC (R) Odom is using for his avatar now.:)

SFC W

PS. J. Wolfsberger has an awesome avatar also but I could see copyright problems with that one. :wry:

slapout9
05-30-2009, 06:56 PM
You older folks may remember I brought this up when the coin wasn't going to get coined.:D I thought Dave D. avatar and each members real name or handle across the back. The option for coffee cups and other stuff was also available.

However being the Economic detective that I am, we have another option......like all empires we could print our own money!!!!!!SWC Dollars part of the SWC Empire. Instead of in god we trust, we could print......Boots on the ground.....eyes on the people ......Mind on the Mission.....in Latin as I recall........Bill,Dave you feeling me man:)

Entropy
05-30-2009, 08:25 PM
You older folks may remember I brought this up when the coin wasn't going to get coined.:D I thought Dave D. avatar and each members real name or handle across the back. The option for coffee cups and other stuff was also available.

However being the Economic detective that I am, we have another option......like all empires we could print our own money!!!!!!SWC Dollars part of the SWC Empire. Instead of in god we trust, we could print......Boots on the ground.....eyes on the people ......Mind on the Mission.....in Latin as I recall........Bill,Dave you feeling me man:)

I submit that we also need a product line for SBW! :)

Umar Al-Mokhtār
05-30-2009, 10:04 PM
should be of a swaggering handsome gent brandishing a scimitar in which to impress two burqua clad damsels... :D

Van
05-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Umar, Make it a Crusader with the cruciform sword and the burqa clad ladies and we'll really make a splash.
:cool:

Umar Al-Mokhtār
05-30-2009, 10:42 PM
and the motto could be: "We're just here for the wine, women, and song!" in Arabic.

IntelTrooper
05-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Great, now I'm thinking about graphics and slogans...

M Davis
05-31-2009, 01:39 AM
Great, now I'm thinking about graphics and slogans...

Would purchase.

XL plz.

IntelTrooper
05-31-2009, 03:10 AM
Here's how it might look on a t-shirt.

jmm99
05-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Clear, hold, build
It's not the size that counts
Small Wars Journal

"of the war" seems to break the cadence - my perception.

jmm99
05-31-2009, 03:49 AM
is probably copyrighted, since it's the title of a 1974 movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy's_Progress). Sounds like a wacky movie from the Wiki.

I took copyright in 1967, so my opinion in that legal area is worthless.

Schmedlap
05-31-2009, 04:11 AM
I was thinking about making up a t-shirt and bumper sticker for myself.
Support our troops!

Replace the M855 5.56mm Ball cartridge with the MK 262 Mod 0, 5.56mm 77 Grain LR!

Maybe I could get that printed onto a magnetic ribbon, as well (stopping power awareness).

IntelTrooper
05-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Clear, hold, build
Small Wars Journal

I agree. It needs to be streamlined a bit.

slapout9
05-31-2009, 04:18 AM
jmm99,Have Gun Will Travel isn't. It was one of the most famous cases there was....they forgot to copywrite it so all these imatation cards started showing up in schools around 1966 or 1967 I am the proud owner of one.:) carried it all during my time in the 82nd. I don't know how it was finally resolved maybe you can find out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun,_Will_Travel

IntelTrooper
05-31-2009, 05:50 AM
Another concept... I always liked the crossed rifle designs.

SWCAdmin
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Funny that our schwag opportunities and failures (coins, cups, etc.) should come up again just now. I've got a proof out for minting. Should be any year now. :o

Please keep up the design work. We neeed some stuff. Now that I am finally moving dirt on the fulfillment side, the ideas are all the more relevant.

BTW, I always thought the popular size verb was "matters" not "counts." Does it fit with the motto?

William F. Owen
05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=778&stc=1&d=1243739425

Errr... as an active member of the group composed of opposed to the "New/Nouveau COIN" tendency, I would suggest

FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT as the Core Functions are applicable across all forms of warfare and how you defeat anyone, anywhere.

...oh, and they can also be applied "non-kinetically" Eyuh... shudder....

Culpeper
05-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Another concept... I always liked the crossed rifle designs.

The beret is too one sided. But I dig the design.

jmm99
05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
You could have got these by Googling - "Have Gun Will Travel" decosta - ending up with Case 1 (http://altlaw.org/v1/cases/853162), Case 2 (http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/520/520.F2d.499.74-1391.html) and Case 3 (http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/981/981.F2d.602.91-2211.html) - all of which would give me a headache if I read them.

------------------------------
Back to the serious business at hand.

The crossed AR-AK seems a good framework (admitted bias since my dad wore the crossed muskets), but the materials in the center are too cluttered. They suggest a combo with the baret & books = a Studies & Observations Group - for real, not a euphemism as in the original (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Assistance_Command,_Vietnam_Studies_and_O bservations_Group). Do we not study and make observations ?

A takeoff on the MACV-SOG patch (http://www.4armedforces.com/product/6020_FL1059/MACV_SOG_Special_Operations_Group_Patch.html) seems too much to me - too much death out of the skies. Maybe put the baret on top of one open book, logoed SWJ-SOG ?

-----------------------
I think there should be a place for Clear, Hold, Build (as the second line in the title under Small Wars Journal) - and this is not picking a fight with you, Wilf ...

since I tend to agree with ...

FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT as the Core Functions ... of warfare

but, they predominate in the first Clear phase (may be present in all phases, situation dependent). Moving through Hold & Build, the phases look more like a combo of politfare (new term, I think) and lawfare (not a new term), moving to peacefare (I'll give this one to Bob's World, sans dinosaur).

------------------------
Now for the popsicle:

BTW, I always thought the popular size verb was "matters" not "counts." Does it fit with the motto?

The true scoop is in my link (in first page) to Percy's Progress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy's_Progress):

The US version of the film includes several additional scenes shot by the American distributor, these include ... a scene in which a dwarf is seen jumping out of a woman’s bed leaving her to say the film's American title ‘Its Not the Size That Counts’ .....

Or more completely, "It's not the size that counts. It's how you use it that matters." :D

Which in the case of us dwarfs is a very important principle of life. ;)

IntelTrooper
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Funny that our schwag opportunities and failures (coins, cups, etc.) should come up again just now. I've got a proof out for minting. Should be any year now. :o

Please keep up the design work. We neeed some stuff. Now that I am finally moving dirt on the fulfillment side, the ideas are all the more relevant.

I agree... maybe "It's not the size that matters."?

My CorelDraw is acting up -- for some reason it won't let me do anything. I don't know what I did to offend it. I'll try re-installing and try some of the things that have been suggested.

Has anyone seen the movie Pentagon Wars, by chance? :D

jcustis
05-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Clear, hold, build
Small Wars Journal

I like this variation...a lot. And I think setting up a run of tees (assuming one of the mods might be able to take on the task of supervising the effort) would be easier perhaps than getting a run of coins done.

Next best quote in my mind would be the one we had proposed and agreed upon for that challenge coin idea. I seem to have misplaced the thread and am not sure what we picked.

Entropy
05-31-2009, 08:59 PM
:)

Culpeper
05-31-2009, 09:32 PM
http://smallwarsjournal.com/site-resources/elements/tracking-2.jpg

slapout9
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
http://smallwarsjournal.com/site-resources/elements/tracking-2.jpg

Yes,that should be on all of them somewhere should'nt it?

slapout9
05-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I like this variation...a lot. And I think setting up a run of tees (assuming one of the mods might be able to take on the task of supervising the effort) would be easier perhaps than getting a run of coins done.

Next best quote in my mind would be the one we had proposed and agreed upon for that challenge coin idea. I seem to have misplaced the thread and am not sure what we picked.

Hi JC,
The front was boots on the ground,eyes on the people,mind on the mission. This was going to be translated into Latin. The back was going to be History is our teacher....also in Latin if I remember correctly.

Idea, if we do t-shirts and hats and coffee cups we could do them all. I like that marine combatives motto One Mind Any Weapon.

IntelTrooper
06-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Hi JC,
The front was boots on the ground,eyes on the people,mind on the mission. This was going to be translated into Latin. The back was going to be History is our teacher....also in Latin if I remember correctly.

Idea, if we do t-shirts and hats and coffee cups we could do them all. I like that marine combatives motto One Mind Any Weapon.
If you set up an account on CafePress.com you can make an infinite number of combinations of mottos, crests, and graphics on t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, mousepads, hats, coffee cups, etc. etc. There is no charge to set up a product and I believe you can get a small royalty if other people purchase an item with your artwork/design.

jcustis
06-01-2009, 03:20 AM

I am beginning to think that Small Wars Journal on the front, with that saying above on the back (in English) would be a sweet t-shirt. A imprint of the HMMWV and donkey print would be icing on the cake.

slapout9
06-01-2009, 04:08 AM
If you set up an account on CafePress.com you can make an infinite number of combinations of mottos, crests, and graphics on t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, mousepads, hats, coffee cups, etc. etc. There is no charge to set up a product and I believe you can get a small royalty if other people purchase an item with your artwork/design.

That was the plan. A couple of snags. If I collected the money that is an income tax/accounting thing I wasn't sure of. Dave SWJED had some quality issues with cafepress that turned out to be some other peoples problems to, they were all technical that could be fixed with all the computer geeks we have on the site now. When you download the print it has to meet certain specs or when they put it on a product it will not turn out right. Black t-shirts were a problem to, but has been fixed as I understand it.

We would also need a design approval process so people like me wouldn't put stupid stuff on them. I was either in the army or LE protecting other peoples right to protest so I never got the chance to.....express myself so I have some pent up emotions. I wanted a couple of coffee cups or baseball caps with Che Guevara SUCKS and Ho Chi Min can kiss my Ass and some others I want go into.:D:D

We have Bill's SWJ publisher approval to continue sooooo I say Ken White drew on caves and he can count so he can be the admiral in charge. Sam Liles is a computer super geek and jmm99 is a lawyer and so is lawvol. Goobs of ideas and examples So lets form a guerrilla unit and attack!!!

slapout9
06-01-2009, 04:10 AM
I am beginning to think that Small Wars Journal on the front, with that saying above on the back (in English) would be a sweet t-shirt. A imprint of the HMMWV and donkey print would be icing on the cake.

JC read my other post and lets sneak down and do em all. Ever here that joke about police officers and cows?

jmm99
06-01-2009, 04:25 AM
from Slap
Ever here that joke about police officers and cows?

but, if it can't be posted on this family channel, send me a PM.

All this stuff has to checked for copyright and trademark infringements. Be nice to find a lawyer in that field who'd be willing to join a guerrilla group (i.e., work for free or out of pocket expenses only). Have a possible target, but I'd imagine there is some legal talent already linked to SWJ at the corporate level, who are familiar with that stuff.

Stan
06-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Those are some bitch'n ideas :cool:
Hmmm, do we have a shrink on board yet ;)

... I was either in the army or LE protecting other peoples right to protest so I never got the chance to.....express myself so I have some pent up emotions. I wanted a couple of coffee cups or baseball caps with Che Guevara SUCKS and Ho Chi Min can kiss my Ass and some others I want go into.:D:D

William F. Owen
06-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Yes,that should be on all of them somewhere should'nt it?

I agree. We don't really have a choice do we? It's our thing is it not?

...much as I would like a graphic of an armoured D9 Bulldozer, it would not reflect the diverse beliefs and sentiments of the community!

Schmedlap
06-01-2009, 07:19 AM
...much as I would like a graphic of an armoured D9 Bulldozer
The D9! Oh man. In OIF III, we had a D9 at our patrol base for a few weeks (long story). The driver was scheduled to have the D9 leave the next day and I asked him to do one last task for us. He was adamant that he had to leave. That is, until I told him what I needed done. Our patrol base was smack dab in the middle of a violent city. 25 meters away from our patrol base was a row of abandoned houses that people loved to use as a staging point to attack us. My plan was to bulldoze the entire neighborhood and to overcompensate the owners, making it a win-win for us and them (we upgrade our force protection and they upgrade their bank accounts). When I explained what I wanted done, he froze, his eyes got real big, his cigarette fell from his lips, there was a long pause, and then he said, "sir, I will stay here for as long as it takes if I can drive that dozer through a row of buildings." Unfortunately, my brilliant plan was quickly rejected by whomever handles the money at BDE (but my Bn XO, God bless him, actually argued on my behalf). That definitely would have made for a great video to show among friends on a Friday night, but a PR disaster if it were to get onto YouTube.

William F. Owen
06-01-2009, 07:46 AM
That definitely would have made for a great video to show among friends on a Friday night, but a PR disaster if it were to get onto YouTube.
Flatten the houses. No one care about what is on YouTube!

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
but it's a bit freaky...and what happened to Gian's chin? :p

Entropy
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
but it's a bit freaky...and what happened to Gian's chin? :p

Haha, thanks! I couldn't really help the chin too much without some editing!

BTW, it's a spoof of the recent NBA advertising campaign (http://www.nba.com/therecanonlybeone/), in case you didn't know.

reed11b
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Those are some bitch'n ideas :cool:
Hmmm, do we have a shrink on board yet ;)
Present.
But what exactly do we need my head shrinking powers for??
Reed

slapout9
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Stan,looks like we do now.

Present.
But what exactly do we need my head shrinking powers for??
Reed

Cavguy
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
The D9! Oh man. In OIF III, we had a D9 at our patrol base for a few weeks (long story). The driver was scheduled to have the D9 leave the next day and I asked him to do one last task for us. He was adamant that he had to leave. That is, until I told him what I needed done. Our patrol base was smack dab in the middle of a violent city. 25 meters away from our patrol base was a row of abandoned houses that people loved to use as a staging point to attack us. My plan was to bulldoze the entire neighborhood and to overcompensate the owners, making it a win-win for us and them (we upgrade our force protection and they upgrade their bank accounts). When I explained what I wanted done, he froze, his eyes got real big, his cigarette fell from his lips, there was a long pause, and then he said, "sir, I will stay here for as long as it takes if I can drive that dozer through a row of buildings." Unfortunately, my brilliant plan was quickly rejected by whomever handles the money at BDE (but my Bn XO, God bless him, actually argued on my behalf). That definitely would have made for a great video to show among friends on a Friday night, but a PR disaster if it were to get onto YouTube.

We leveled across from the gov center in Ramadi because of similar circumstances, our message was urban renewal to be replaced by a "park".:cool:

selil
06-02-2009, 01:51 AM
I learned to drive the equivalent of a D9 when I was 12 years old. It's what made me originally want to be a tanker. Learned to grade and dig with that monster. Summer jobs in logging country for kids involve all kinds of cool gadgets.

marct
06-02-2009, 02:02 AM
I learned to drive the equivalent of a D9 when I was 12 years old. It's what made me originally want to be a tanker. Learned to grade and dig with that monster. Summer jobs in logging country for kids involve all kinds of cool gadgets.

You got to play with a D9? Drat! At 12, low those many years ago, this is what I got stuck with!
http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips%20Tricks/13%20survival%20saws/jpg/two_person_saw.jpg

selil
06-02-2009, 02:13 AM
You got to play with a D9? Drat! At 12, low those many years ago, this is what I got stuck with!
http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips%20Tricks/13%20survival%20saws/jpg/two_person_saw.jpg

I've got some two man saws that are 8 feet and 4 feet long. One summer I helped put in the roads, then the next year I ran choker. Never had the guts to ride the skidder down the mountain. When I was 15 I rodeoed log booms outside of B.C. But only for a few weeks.

marct
06-02-2009, 02:39 AM
I've got some two man saws that are 8 feet and 4 feet long. One summer I helped put in the roads, then the next year I ran choker. Never had the guts to ride the skidder down the mountain. When I was 15 I rodeoed log booms outside of B.C. But only for a few weeks.

The summer camp (http://www.kandalore.com/html/default.asp) I went to thought that it would "build character" if we were unpaid labour on building their log cabin canoe museum - 3 stories high!

marct
06-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Bill, Dave,

When are we going to get those spiffy berets / caterpillar hates / T-shirts, etc.?

selil
06-02-2009, 04:35 AM
All I need is a nice polo shirt with a Small Wars logo. That should create quite the tizzy on friday office hours around the old ivory tower.

J Wolfsberger
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I vote for IntelTrooper's "Clear-Hold-Build" in any color as long as it's black.

As for my avatar, I'll bet Pete Abrams (http://www.sluggy.com/) would be willing to work with us.

slapout9
06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
:)

Entropy maybe this is prophacy.....is the small wars concept running out of steam:eek: Maybe America only wants Big Wars...Is Gian the next Chief of Staff.....Is Wilf the next Sec Def?

William F. Owen
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
:eek: Maybe America only wants Big Wars...Is Gian the next Chief of Staff.....Is Wilf the next Sec Def?

You don't get to pick your Wars. Politicians do. Can't speak for Gian or know what's best for the US Army, but I do know that proficiency in fighting is the key to success in Big Wars and Small Wars, because both are Wars.

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Slap,

I feel, and it has been posited elsewhere, that America has the capability to be prepared for war fought on virtually any level of intensity or effort. Where we trip ourselves up is our acquisitions process is heavily geared towards equipping the force for war as we want it to happen, vice trying to achieve a balance of capabilities that can effectively deal with a broad and fluid range of employment. We seem to strive to have the highest speed, lowest drag widget. That superiority comes at a very high cost, and to what end?

One cannot 100% predict the future and it seems that many in government naively believe our opponents will fight on our terms. Granted, there are those that argue that having the absolute top of the line weapon systems deters our enemies. I agree that is true for some, but it will not deter them all, and those who are willing to take us on will make every effort to determine ways to either match or mitigate the superiority of our weapons or create scenarios in which they are irrelevant or impractical due to their complexity or lethality (our self imposed aversion to non-combatant casualties will always be a weapon to be used against us by less scrupulous opponents).

The US primarily should be highly proficient at employing forces to combat a peer like enemy because nearly all those proficiencies are still relevant when you are at war with men in sandals with AKs and RPGs. It’s mostly about the judicious and appropriate application of those proficiencies for each scenario, scenarios which will vary even within the same AO.

slapout9
06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Ahhhh Guys.....since this is the T-Shirt thread it was supposed to be humorous:D

William F. Owen
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Ahhhh Guys.....since this is the T-Shirt thread it was supposed to be humorous:D

Too true Slap. Just forgot myself for a second, and I should have responded in a way befitting your comment.

...but me like Small Wars. Small Wars easy. Small Wars cheap and manageable if approached with a thimble full of common sense. Me no like Big Wars. Big Wars decisive. Big Wars no time for learning. Big Wars very serious. Me like Small Wars.

...and I might put that on a T-shirt just for me!

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I suffered a temporary serious attack... :p

So let's get back to threads. :D

We could really throw off the uninitiated if we avoid reference to SWJ and go with:

The Kitakidogo Social Club

“If you don’t know what it means, you just don’t know”

We might even need a snazzy logo/coat of arms like emblem to be embroidered on the breast of the inevitable polo shirt! :eek:

slapout9
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Agree, Big Wars are Big Problems that we don't need.

However a coat of arms on a polo-shirt ain't half bad;) got a picture?

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I leave the real work to others! :D

Using my infinite Power Point skills I think I could come up with something rather dignified.

Tom Odom
06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I suffered a temporary serious attack... :p

So let's get back to threads. :D

We could really throw off the uninitiated if we avoid reference to SWJ and go with:

We might even need a snazzy logo/coat of arms like emblem to be embroidered on the breast of the inevitable polo shirt! :eek:

Crossed Masai lion spears and shields? Or Zulu shield, assegai, and knobkerrie?
or maybe Shaka?

zenpundit
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
....will always convey the message we intend in a sophisticated, politically correct, polite society :wry:

tpjkevin
06-03-2009, 03:46 PM

This would be lovely. :D

slapout9
06-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Umar, I think you are on to something there.....can you expand?

J Wolfsberger
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure that walking around in a King Shaka T-Shirt

....will always convey the message we intend in a sophisticated, politically correct, polite society :wry:

Which, for some of us, is a lot of the fun. :D

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 06:06 PM
and a ruminating. While Zenp's idea of a full blown Shaka would be cool it might scare the natives. :D

But crossed knobkerries and iklwa behind a Zulu type shield with an appropriate design on the shield face might be pretty cool and not too hard to create.

We could perhaps create SWJ iNtanga (although Ken would probably be in one all by himself!) or better yet SWJ regional ibutho. :eek:

Uboat509
06-03-2009, 06:33 PM
We have something like five generations of military experience on this site. Perhaps the shirt should make reference to that.

SFC W

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
off the cuff work

Stan
06-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm happy to say that your Power Point skills... hmmm, well... Suck ! :D

How's your Lingala ;)

off the cuff work

Ken White
06-03-2009, 07:13 PM
We could perhaps create SWJ iNtanga (although Ken would probably be in one all by himself!)Not any where near iNtanga strength -- but old age and treachery... :D

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
monéne mabé. :eek:

And Stan, you mock my PP artistry. Ngiyadabuka. :(

@Ken - will always overcome youth and skill! :D

slapout9
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
What is a iNtanga or is that a who......same goes for langala or whatever. :confused:

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
in the Zulu military hierarchy a regiment was called “ibutho” (sometimes written as “impi” but that simply means a body of men). Each ibutho had shields made of a similar color of cow hide and wore distinctive regaila (although that was rarely worn into battle so the shied provided senior commanders with a visual ID of the ibutho). Senior amabutho shields tended to be made of white hide. The way Shaka, and his successors, formed their amabutho was by age groups, or iNtanga, to ensure all the warriors in a particular ibutho were all of the same age range. In theory there were 1,000 warriors per ibutho. As ibutho got older their role in battle changed until the men were too old and the ibutho was retired from active service.

Langala is a Bantu language spoken mostly in the Congo region (and possibly in discrete parts of Estonia).

Rank amateur
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
We have something like five generations of military experience on this site. Perhaps the shirt should make reference to that.

SFC W

How about

"How are we going to win small wars if we can't even agree on a freakin T Shirt?":D

IntelTrooper
06-03-2009, 09:30 PM
off the cuff work
I like this motif, especially if it's available in polo shirt form. :)

Old Eagle
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
when he writes songs.

I think that we are on to something here. But we do need a business plan. My personal rec is to find a pro to design a logo. Alternative is to have a competition with a suitable prize. Then product selection and development. Sales. Maybe we can keep the site alive with profits?

What think?

J Wolfsberger
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Bun Bun with assegai and knobkerrie? (Instead of Glock and switch blade.) The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch at his feet to represent technology?

Bun Bun would put the "small" in "Small Wars." :D

Culpeper
06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
How about

"How are we going to win small wars if we can't even agree on a freakin T Shirt?":D

You on to something...:wry:

BayonetBrant
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I'll work up a few designs this afternoon and post them later. Might as well put all my years of pretending to be a graphic designer to work, eh?

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
while Bun-bun might be a nice addition there may be some copyright issues to be dealt with for his use (not to mention that he may show up at your door and cut you).

Uboat509
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Bun Bun with assegai and knobkerrie? (Instead of Glock and switch blade.) The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch at his feet to represent technology?

Bun Bun would put the "small" in "Small Wars." :D

I don't think that Bun-Bun represents the full spectrum. He has a distinct bias toward kinetic solutions to any problem. I'm just sayin'.

SFC W

Entropy
06-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Yes, totally. My little Gentile/Nagl graphic was meant to be funny.

Entropy
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
BTW, Hello Kitty kicks the crap out of Bun Bun
http://www.craphound.com/images/HelloKittyDreadnought_600we.jpg

J Wolfsberger
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't think that Bun-Bun represents the full spectrum. He has a distinct bias toward kinetic solutions to any problem. I'm just sayin'.

SFC W

A character trait he shares with Sergeant Schlock (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/).

I don't see the problem. :confused:

J Wolfsberger
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.craphound.com/images/HelloKittyDreadnought_600we.jpg

It's a Bad Idea to antagonize psychopathic rabbits.

Ken White
06-04-2009, 06:10 PM
.................... ;)

IntelTrooper
06-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Is that a Warhammer 40K mech wearing a Hello Kitty dress? I wonder what the rest of his army looks like...

Steve Blair
06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks like a converted Space Marine Dreadnought to me.

MattM
06-04-2009, 06:39 PM
The text banners, line type, and coloring and fill need some work on this draft.

Yet, this logo covers some essential elements and borrows heavily on the beast of burden which has been the timeless symbol of the journal / council.

For a T-Shirt, the entire logo would have to be converted to line art. I am not the artist, I simply sketched out some ideas to a friend.

IntelTrooper
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
The text banners, line type, and coloring and fill need some work on this draft.

Yet, this logo covers some essential elements and borrows heavily on the beast of burden which has been the timeless symbol of the journal / council.

For a T-Shirt, the entire logo would have to be converted to line art. I am not the artist, I simply sketched out some ideas to a friend.

I like the trowel, it reminds me of a Masonic apron or something. :)

IntelTrooper
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I was thinking of an Imperial Guard Sentinel but the legs are way too short.

Entropy
06-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, you're right. For some reason I was thinking of an Imperial Guard Sentinel but the legs are way too short.

Yes, it's from a warhammer website. I don't play that game, so I can't speculate as to what model is under the dress ;)

IntelTrooper
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't play that game, so I can't speculate as to what model is under the dress ;)
Lord knows I've been in that situation before.

Bob's World
06-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I like the first one, but only if we put big slashes through each word of "Hold-Clear-Build" and replace with something more on the lines of:

Listen - Think - Act

"Solving large problems with small wars since (insert date here)"

SWJ

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
has been to Thailand... :eek:

IntelTrooper
06-05-2009, 07:05 PM
has been to Thailand... :eek:
LOL. I just hung out at the airport and watched the plastic surgery candidates arrive... :P

Umar Al-Mokhtār
06-06-2009, 12:05 AM
we delved into that topic on another thread here (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?p=72117#post72117).

IntelTrooper
06-06-2009, 12:50 AM
we delved into that topic on another thread here (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?p=72117#post72117).
Wow, nothing's off limits around here, is it? Especially disturbing re: the Master Guns...

Entropy
06-06-2009, 01:11 AM
I like the first one, but only if we put big slashes through each word of "Hold-Clear-Build" and replace with something more on the lines of:

Listen - Think - Act

"Solving large problems with small wars since (insert date here)"

SWJ

I think that's better.

Van
06-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Listen - Think - Act certainly has merit.

How about:

War is about imposing will.
Small war is about imposing will, nicely.

(Consider the older definition of 'nice'; "minute and subtle; precise, critical; minutely accurate")

For graphics:
-How about a machete in there someplace? Note Guevara's recommendations for the use of machetes and the applications they were put to in Rwanda.
-And now that Guevara and Rwanda have been mentioned... How about Tom Odom's handsome visage wearing a Che beret?:D

Culpeper
06-06-2009, 06:39 AM
some more concepts.

A donkey with "smallwars.com" tattooed on his ass.:D

"Listen, Think, Act" sounds like an after-school special.

Tom Odom
06-06-2009, 06:51 AM
A donkey with "smallwars.com" tattooed on his ass = Tom Odom's handsome visage wearing a Che beret

Now that sounds about right! :cool:

Entropy
06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
"Small Wars Journal - We argue about war so you don't have to."

Culpeper
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Another idea somebody can work with...

Culpeper
06-06-2009, 11:26 PM
"Small Wars Journal - We argue about war so you don't have to."

+1 on this slogan!

Culpeper
06-06-2009, 11:31 PM
And yet another idea. I'm stuck on jackasses.:)

Ken White
06-06-2009, 11:34 PM
that's dinner... :D

Culpeper
06-06-2009, 11:40 PM
that's dinner... :D

You're sick. That never crossed my mind!:D

Ken White
06-07-2009, 12:22 AM
You're sick. That never crossed my mind!:Dthe French long ago. Mediocre to bad rations cause one to look at anything as fair game -- no pun intended (you wouldn't believe the wine... :rolleyes: ).

The kid with the very young donkey is carrying mortar rounds. He's likely not carrying that added weight because he wants to or 'cause he thinks it's cute; someone told him to do so. It's too small to be used for load carrying for another year or so, thus, why? It's either dinner or hope-to-be-traded for dinner. Most probably the former. :D

slapout9
06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
The Basic SWC Logo with By,With,and Through The People underneath it.

Culpeper
06-07-2009, 01:28 AM
the French long ago. Mediocre to bad rations cause one to look at anything as fair game -- no pun intended (you wouldn't believe the wine... :rolleyes: ).

The kid with the very young donkey is carrying mortar rounds. He's likely not carrying that added weight because he wants to or 'cause he thinks it's cute; someone told him to do so. It's too small to be used for load carrying for another year or so, thus, why? It's either dinner or hope-to-be-traded for dinner. Most probably the former. :D

Yeah, I'm stuck on donkeys right now. Got have a donkey. A friend of ours had to give their donkey away. It would get up before the rooster and just raise holy hell. Damn, they can make a lot of noise.

Slapout,

I didn't know we had a logo?

slapout9
06-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I'm stuck on donkeys right now. Got have a donkey. A friend of ours had to give their donkey away. It would get up before the rooster and just raise holy hell. Damn, they can make a lot of noise.

Slapout,

I didn't know we had a logo?

I think the top of the page(what I am calling a logo) is copyrighted by Bill and Dave. see link for example

http://smallwarsjournal.com/mag/docs-temp/254-sheeran.pdf

SWCAdmin
06-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Nice work there, culpepper. In spite of, or perhaps artistically leveraging, the donkey fetish. That has great promise.

slapout,

The image is not ours, lifted from the public domain to which it was provided c/o DoD and its talented artists. See this post (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=1189). As far as its larger presentation in our header, I guess that is considered some sort of trademark or service mark by our consistent use of it and various common law-ish things.

All,

Working on coins. And 100 other things. T-shirts may hold a bit, but not for too long. We are going to advertise for interns shortly, and schwag fulfillment is on the duty list.

- Bill

- Bill

selil
06-07-2009, 03:13 AM
I think for the sake of branding that the coin, t-shirt, web presence should be consistently logo branded. The logo should be b/w (not gray scale) and color capable. What ever saying that is going on the coin should be the catch phrase for all other products.

I like the various sayings just thinking consistency is important.

Culpeper
06-07-2009, 04:21 AM
I'm relieved to announce that the donkey being carried by the French soldier is the great-great-great grandfather of the donkey in my avatar. His grandfather survived the war and lived a prosperous and long life for a donkey.

Ken White
06-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Americans and bummed some C Rations, no doubt... :D

slapout9
06-07-2009, 04:53 AM
The image is not ours, lifted from the public domain to which it was provided c/o DoD and its talented artists. See this post (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=1189). As far as its larger presentation in our header, I guess that is considered some sort of trademark or service mark by our consistent use of it and various common law-ish things.

- Bill

DoD, most of us here pay taxes so I guess that makes it ours;)

SWJED
06-07-2009, 11:21 AM
SWJ / SWC had a business meeting yesterday - yep, we actually do things like that. As way of an update - Coins are in the works - yea, I know we've said that before - please bear with us - we actually are getting closer to that end. On tee-shirts - yep - we just want to ensure we get some quality tees - we are not comfortable with the stuff on Cafe Press, etc.

Culpeper
06-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Cafe Press is too low budget.

http://www.myculpeper.com/photos/donkey4.jpg

BayonetBrant
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
We got a bunch of CafePress tees here for a gag back around Halloween and everyone's been pretty happy with them. They keep showing up in the office, so they must've been OK for folks.

reed11b
06-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Holy Mackeral Batman!!, Just how many small wars members are completly in-touch with there inner-nerd!!!
Reed
Hey I heart my inner-nerd sometimes too

Icepack6
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Need to loose the beret. . . . too French.

Blackjack
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Need to loose the beret. . . . too French.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D Sort of.

jmm99
06-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Except for the Marines, it strikes me that it's US forces that have gone beret happy. I can't see my dad in a beret, but what the hey.

As alternatives from the French, you might consider the attached - no berets.

Or to get closer to Icepak6's age cohort, perhaps we should consider Dan Daly's dress cover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Daly) - sort of a mushroom képi in effect. I actually like that design.

Cheers to all of us in our quest for the perfect design. :)

Mike

Stan
06-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Mike, Would have to agree with you there.

Other than the traditional (read - authorized or qualified) berets, there's too many phonies and not appropriate.

Having little to do with this thread, it seems the French indeed came up with the idea, but the Brits added a touch of fashion :rolleyes:

However, later in 75 the U.S. Army Rangers perfected it :)

SGTMILLS
06-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok, so i am waiting patiently for the T shirts to come out. I am NOT patiently waiting for the SWJ coin to come out. I guess coming back to this thread is the only way to keep on top of this. I am not artistic, nor have I been apart of this group long enough to have any real say in the design of the logos.

Culpeper
06-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Ok, so i am waiting patiently for the T shirts to come out. I am NOT patiently waiting for the SWJ coin to come out. I guess coming back to this thread is the only way to keep on top of this. I am not artistic, nor have I been apart of this group long enough to have any real say in the design of the logos.

ALL suggestions and ideas are welcome.

AnalyticType
06-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Going with your donkey fetish, uh, theme...

SMALL WARS COUNCIL

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/ichaseballoons/Soldier_on_donkey02.jpg

EFFECTIVE UTILITY TRUMPS SIZE

...just a thought from a woman's perspective...

http://bestsmileys.com/horses1/2.gif

Ron Humphrey
06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
The Mongols made a habit of riding around on ponies about that size

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:l6uh7r5HahzjHM:http://photos3.flickr.com/5734099_f3eca93c8d.jpg

:D

Culpeper
12-06-2012, 05:23 AM
And still no T-shirts?

davidbfpo
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Culpeper,

I am reasonably sure SWJ went for coins. There was an announcement that Dave D. had relocated them after his move south and was posted them out.

Not the same as a T-shirt, it is the thought that counts!

Morgan
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
How about a SWJ coffee cup? I like my coin but a coffee cup has practical applications (and using the SWJ coin for "quarters" has dented my table, so that's no longer a practical use of a SWJ product).

Tukhachevskii
12-07-2012, 02:18 AM
...there's a t-shirt printer in Eton high street that'll print anything (within reason;)). Would I get sued if I went and printed up a couple of T-shirts with my own wording/design on them incorporating say something along the lines of

"The Small Wars Council
Smarter Thinking about Dumb Wars since [insert date here]"?

What say we all?

Morgan
02-18-2013, 12:32 AM
...there's a t-shirt printer in Eton high street that'll print anything (within reason;)). Would I get sued if I went and printed up a couple of T-shirts with my own wording/design on them incorporating say something along the lines of

"The Small Wars Council
Smarter Thinking about Dumb Wars since [insert date here]"?

What say we all?

I'm in. I'd still like a SWJ coffee cup too. Can't go wrong with one of those.

Morgan
02-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Let's not forget hats. SWJ hats.

Bill Moore
02-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Why not SWJ Lingerie? We all know we have been neglecting our significant other, so wouldn't a new Garter or Teddy with a SWJ logo on it look nice on her? I suspect most SWJ participants don't go for identifying themselves in public with T-shirts and hats, but a coffee cup or lingerie should sell. :D

Morgan
02-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Sounds good to me.

J Wolfsberger
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm in for T-shirts and coffee mugs. :D

I'm pretty sure I won't look good in lingerie. :eek: I'll take a pass on that.

Stan
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
I have perhaps the best looking coin (from SWJ) I have ever had in my pocket.

I'd definitely add a t-shirt to that collection.

Tukhachevskii
02-18-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm in. I'd still like a SWJ coffee cup too. Can't go wrong with one of those.

Any idea on designs? As a proud Briton I'd prefer a bone chine tea set perhaps with a monnogrammed SWC motif? ;)

Morgan
02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Any idea on designs? As a proud Briton I'd prefer a bone chine tea set perhaps with a monnogrammed SWC motif? ;)

Why not use the "Searching for Bin Laden" picture at the top of the SWJ page and put that on the cup? On the other side, one can have their name added.

As for the lingerie, I, too, will pass on that, but maybe a SWJ hat....?

J Wolfsberger
02-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Why not use the "Searching for Bin Laden" picture at the top of the SWJ page and put that on the cup? On the other side, one can have their name added.

I think "Searching for Bin Laden" would work. Putting our individual names would get pricey and time consuming (for someone).

Just put "Small Wars Council" on the back. Maybe add "Kitikadogo Chapter," or something like that.

Keep it simple, keep it quick.

Morgan
02-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I think "Searching for Bin Laden" would work. Putting our individual names would get pricey and time consuming (for someone).

Just put "Small Wars Council" on the back. Maybe add "Kitikadogo Chapter," or something like that.

Keep it simple, keep it quick.

I'm good with the picture and SWC on the back. Let's hurry up because I could use some more coffee.

Umar Al-Mokhtār
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Where does one get this coin of which Stan speaks?

I'm all up for a t-shirt as well.

Culpeper
08-31-2014, 03:52 PM
I wore mine out and need a new one.