PDA

View Full Version : Poll; attack into fog of war or not?

Fuchs
08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Scenario:

Fairly conventional war, both sides use maneuver brigades and recce forces.

One side assumes to be superior in ground combat power, assumes to experience a higher rate of attrition (especially of advanced systems like air defence, artillery and battlefield radars) and it has almost no intelligence on the enemy.
Their dedicated recce units (ground and air) are already depleted.

Question: Who believes that their corps commander would dare to attack into the fog of war?

edit: Poll function obviously doesn't want to play along.
I planned to insert
* yes
* no
* no comment
* depends on their doctrine

Reason for this poll: Theoretical work; I want to see whether others share my assumption.

Polarbear1605
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Hmmm...interesting question. Wheather an Corps Commander would attack into the fog of war...no idea...but I can say I would. If you can't get intellegence before the battle then you need to attack to get the intelligence and keep the initiative. You attack with the understanding (or intent) that you need to develop the situation. I would keep as large of a reserve as possible and be ready to throw the reserve against any gap that was uncovered.

so answer is "yes"

Schmedlap
08-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Count me as "no comment" to the poll question. I am simply responding to part of the scenario given.

I don't know how one can answer this without knowing the attitude of the domestic audience or what type of government the military force is fighting on behalf of. If it is an authoritarian government for whom the public's access to information is controlled, then he probably attacks.