PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a book exchange program

jcustis
05-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Trying to generate interest in a book exchange program. We all recommend certain titles that we have read and found merit in, and I myself compile a list of books I "need to get to".

Physically getting the book is where I run into problems. The Marine Corps Gray Research Center is 15 minutes away, but I find it next to impossible to make the time to go, look up a book on the list, and check it out. Buying the book off the internet would be the next option, but I'd be just as happy to flip through a dog-eared, marked up book (and I don't have the funds to purchase an older pricey volume).

I purchase a lot of books through auction and get them delivered to my door, and since these seem to be read first, I thought other SWJers might be interested in swapping books.

It could be something as simple as members posting a list of books they have and find relevant to small wars. If two members found books on each others list, they could make arrangements to swap books either permanently, or just for a temporary loan.

Anyone interested?

Maximus
04-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Sir,

Great idea. I think we can do this easily based on proximity. Best books I've read of late:

William Colby's Lost Victory
John Poole's Terrorist Trail
Vali Nasr's Shia Revival
Nir Rosen's In the Belly of the Green Bird (not a great book, but informative and educational nonetheless)

Currently working through Gen Smith's Utility of Force. Real good thus far. Also just purchased a copy of an English version of the Koran and a "Christian guide to understanding the Koran." If interested in any of these, please let me know.

Semper Fi!

jcustis
05-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm too busy to add any new stuff to my queue, but I have the following on hand:

Stripp, Codebreaker in the Far East
Chandrasekaran, Imperial Life in the Emerald City
Warren At the Going Down of the Sun memoir of an RLI trooper and stick leader
Reid-Daly Selous Scouts: Top Secret War
Parker Assignment Selous Scouts
Ricks Fiasco
Venter The Chopper Boys
Cocks Fireforce
Col Cooper The Art of the Rifle

mmx1
05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Have way too much in my queue as well. I did drag my college reading lists here to Quantico for reference so I have a bit on hand.

Biddle Military Power
Barber War of the Running Dogs
Harkavy & Newuman Warfare and the Third World Exceedingly dry but thorough
Maj. F.D.G. Williams SLAM The Influence of SLA Marshall on the United States Army

Bought it after it was referenced in the recent SLAM thread. Still haven't made it to the top of my queue yet but as it's out of print someone else may want to have a look at it
Shay Odysseus in America:Combat Trauma and the trials of Homecoming
Taber War of the Flea
Lomperis From People's War to People's Rule