PDA

View Full Version : Books by Yossef Bodansky?

Kevin23
10-06-2009, 01:35 AM
What is the opinion on Small Wars Council of books written by Israeli intel and foreign/military affairs Yossef Bodansky?

I've read the High Cost of Peace and Osama Bin Laden: The Man who declared war on America, and even though he made unverified claims in his books from what I've read on him he is well regarded as a scholar and analyst and I've also read many positive opinions about him from individuals inside the military/foreign affairs establishment.

Btw I'm wanting to read Chechen Jihad by him and the Secret History of the Iraq War. Also if anyone has read these two books how are they?

Jedburgh
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
....even though he made unverified claims in his books...
I think unsubstantiated is a more accurate term than unverified.

The positive regard is mainly on the side of those who agree with his opinions and wish to believe all his claims are true. Reading his books should certainly refute any ideas about Bodansky being a scholar or analyst; they're just clumsily aggregated lumps of assumptions, claims, conjecture and other information - without citation - attempting to pose as authoritative works.

Chechen Jihad is a paperweight; not worth slogging through 300+ pages unless you are a true fan of Bodansky. You'd be better off spending the time poring over archives of the North Caucasus Analysis (http://www.jamestown.org/programs/nca/).