PDA

View Full Version : There are now 82 al Qaeda in Afghanistan

IntelTrooper
10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Just deducing here, based on James Jones's statement (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/04/adviser-afghan-government-must-do-better/#) that there were probably 100 al Qaeda in Afghanistan, and then this raid:

Join forces assault al Qaeda base in Afghan east (http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/10/joint_forces_assault.php)

US and Afghan forces killed 18 extremists during a raid on an al Qaeda base in the mountains in eastern Afghanistan.

The raid, launched on Oct. 11, targeted an al Qaeda commander who is known to use the mountainside base near the village of Tantil to conduct attacks in the Pech Valley. The al Qaeda leader, who was not named, and his cadre are also known to facilitate the movement of foreign fighters from Pakistan into Afghanistan.

That whole "al Qaeda base" thing seems to fly in the face of this:

"I don't foresee the return of the Taliban. Afghanistan is not in imminent danger of falling," Gen. Jones said. "The al Qaeda presence is very diminished. The maximum estimate is less than 100 operating in the country, no bases, no ability to launch attacks on either us or our allies."

Well, a few more operations like this and we'll be able to pack up and go home!

MikeF
10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
At this rate, the boys will be home by Christmas:D.

Mike

Tom Odom
10-13-2009, 06:38 AM
At this rate, the boys will be home by Christmas:D.

Mike

Alrighty then. I can start packing...:D

Wait a minute, that would be Afghanistan...:(

Such is life in the new "other war" :wry:

Tom

MikeF
10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Alrighty then. I can start packing...:D

Wait a minute, that would be Afghanistan...:(

Such is life in the new "other war" :wry:

Tom

Tom,

Just one more day up in the canyon....

Back in school, on sunday nights, we used to chant the best of verses for this Long War....

"Six bells and all is well.
Another week is shot to hell.
Another week in my little gray cell.
Another week in which to excel.
Oh, hell."

A'stan is just another time to excel I suppose. I gotta order your book so I can follow Tom and Stan's most excellent venture. I hope y'all are doing well.

H Minus

Mike

davidbfpo
10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Just deducing here, based on James Jones's statement that there were probably 100 al Qaeda in Afghanistan, and then this raid

'Probably' is a nice word and 'in Afghanistan' rather vague. Given that so little appears to be known about the Taliban and a limited capacity to "fix" them why would the NSC boss know about AQ numbers?

What would be more interesting than the number(s) is what role does AQ play alongside the Taliban, or independently? Training, logistics, ideology and other skills are IMHO more likely than combat - except spectacular attacks, like the Indian Embassy, Kabul.

Did the ex-general say anything about AQ's role with the Pakistani militant coalition? No (just checked).

davidbfpo