PDA

View Full Version : The Men Who Stare at Goats

Dr. C
11-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Reading The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004) by Jon Ronson in anticipation of the film opening November 6, starring George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Jeff Bridges, and Kevin Spacey. It's supposed to be based on a true story about a reporter's search to learn more about the U.S. Army's First Earth Battalion, SF guys who could stare at goats and walk through walls. I think I'm the first person to post in this thread that I'm reading the book. Anyone else reading it and taking it seriously? Offended by it? Entertained?

oblong
11-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Reading The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004) by Jon Ronson in anticipation of the film opening November 6, starring George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Jeff Bridges, and Kevin Spacey. It's supposed to be based on a true story about a reporter's search to learn more about the U.S. Army's First Earth Battalion, SF guys who could stare at goats and walk through walls. I think I'm the first person to post in this thread that I'm reading the book. Anyone else reading it and taking it seriously? Offended by it? Entertained?

I read the book a couple of years ago. I found it entertaining, but if any part of it is true, God help us.

One thing that I found interesting is that there's a person in there called Mr. B, wh allegedly had all sorts of psychic powers. It's pretty obvious who Mr. B is, so I wonder why he didn't simply use the man's name.

Dr. C
11-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I read the book a couple of years ago. I found it entertaining, but if any part of it is true, God help us.

One thing that I found interesting is that there's a person in there called Mr. B, wh allegedly had all sorts of psychic powers. It's pretty obvious who Mr. B is, so I wonder why he didn't simply use the man's name.

Not so obvious to me, so who is Mr. B?

oblong
11-03-2009, 02:06 AM
The information he includes about Mr. B indicates he's talking about a Delta Force member convicted of several rapes in the late 1980s. Again, he never actually names him. But unless there are multiple serial rapists who fit that description, the name is pretty easy to find.

MikeF
11-03-2009, 02:10 AM
The information he includes about Mr. B indicates he's talking about a Delta Force member convicted of several rapes in the late 1980s. Again, he never actually names him. But unless there are multiple people who fit that description, the name is pretty easy to find.

Is there anything left true in this world? I haven't read the book, but I was looking forward to the movie.

Mike

oblong
11-03-2009, 02:27 AM
I hesitated before posting this because I know the author is controversial among other former Delta members and because, well, the piece is sure to anger people, but it does tell you a little a bit about the man whose biography seems to match some of the details of Ronson's Mr. B.

http://freedomroad.org/content/view/163/69/lang,en/

Ronson never explicitly says who Mr. B is, but he gives enough information to lead those familiar with this case to believe it's the same person.

He also never directly claims that Mr. B can make himself invisible or that the government lets him out of prison to perform secret missions. He simply says soldiers have told him those things.

Zack
11-03-2009, 04:30 AM
I was very surprised that he made it almost to the end of the essay before mentioning Marx.

William F. Owen
11-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Not read the book, but I suspect BS. When I was at the LRRP School in 88 I met an old time SF Team guy who had done some weird experimental training back in the late 70's early 80's. Some of it was all pretty banal - sleep deprivation, meditation versus low temperatures etc. Bottom line, only a small number of folks saw benefit. It couldn't be taught, and it was no where near an exact science, so great if your a rich middle aged divorcee from up-state NY, but BS for an Army. I wait to be convinced!

oblong
11-03-2009, 05:09 AM
I don't know which part of the book worries me most. The claim that the Army may use a serial rapist capable of becoming invisible for secret missions. Or the claim that the Army had a major general so convinced that he could walk through walls that tried, and failed, repeatedly to do so. I know which one I find more believable.

Corto
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
There is another person mentioned in Ronson's book named Guy Savelli, who actually laid claim to the "death stare" ability that the title of the film is derived from. He is a martial arts instructor in Ohio, who claims to have been trained by an Indonesian master.

As a prospective student once long ago, Savelli showed me video of Special Forces soldiers using his techniques and documentation carried out by a UNC researcher of the effects of his "death stare" on the goats who were used by SF medics for training. All I seem to remember is that Savelli was proud in the changes of the heart rates in the goats (as documented) and he never claimed to have brought one down.

There was also quite a bit of documentation showing Savelli's relationship with Colonel Nick Rowe, former POW and founder of the SF's SERE school. (Rowe was murdered in the Philippines in 1989). According to Savelli, Rowe somehow found him and was so impressed with Savelli's brand of martial arts (according to Savelli, his martial arts techniques were the closest thing that Rowe had seen to what his Vietnamese captors had practiced) that he brought him down to Fort Bragg to train SF personnel.

There were several members of the local Ohio Special Forces Association (Chapter 45 The Smoking Gun, if I recall) who used to take classes with Savelli. There were plenty of photos around his studio of Savelli at Ft. Bragg showing SF people his technique....and video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKGx-HWIvU

A SF Vietnam vet once told me that Savelli had inflated his claims about his connections with the SF Community and the SERE school. The Special Forces eventually gave Savelli a "request" to cease and desist promoting himself in that manner.

William F. Owen
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
As a prospective student once long ago, Savelli showed me video of Special Forces soldiers using his techniques and documentation carried out by a UNC researcher of the effects of his "death stare" on the goats who were used by SF medics for training. All I seem to remember is that Savelli was proud in the changes of the heart rates in the goats (as documented) and he never claimed to have brought one down.

So staring at a goat, in a intense fashion, can distress the goat to the degree where it's heart rate increases? I think I can do that.

Alternatively, if the heart rate decreases perhaps the goat was merely getting bored!! :)

oblong
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
There is another person mentioned in Ronson's book named Guy Savelli, who actually laid claim to the "death stare" ability that the title of the film is derived from. He is a martial arts instructor in Ohio, who claims to have been trained by an Indonesian master.

There was also quite a bit of documentation showing Savelli's relationship with Colonel Nick Rowe, former POW and founder of the SF's SERE school. (Rowe was murdered in the Philippines in 1989). According to Savelli, Rowe somehow found him and was so impressed with Savelli's brand of martial arts (according to Savelli, his martial arts techniques were the closest thing that Rowe had seen to what his Vietnamese captors had practiced) that he brought him down to Fort Bragg to train SF personnel.

There were several members of the local Ohio Special Forces Association (Chapter 45 The Smoking Gun, if I recall) who used to take classes with Savelli. There were plenty of photos around his studio of Savelli at Ft. Bragg showing SF people his technique....and video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKGx-HWIvU

A SF Vietnam vet once told me that Savelli had inflated his claims about his connections with the SF Community and the SERE school. The Special Forces eventually gave Savelli a "request" to cease and desist promoting himself in that manner.

According to the book, as a test of his powers, 30 numbered goats were led into a room and Savelli was supposed to focus on one of them, say No. 16. Ronson says one of the goats did fall over and die, but it wasn't the one Savelli was staring at. He says that Savelli also accidentally killed his pet hamster by staring at it too long.

Greyhawk
11-03-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RraLw0MIeY&feature=player_embedded

That's the first ten minutes of episode one. You'll find the remander linked on the right side of the page if you'd like to see the whole think, including intervieweds with some of the folks mentioned above.

A Bush-bashing angle in the documentary, does that appear in the book, too? Always good for a few more sales/viewers back in 2004-2008.

Hopefully Clooney & Co stick with the humor angle per the tralers.

Speaking of trailers, here's Green Zone, the Hollywood version of Imperial Life in the Emerald City, coming soon to a theater near you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F20ovcLI29s&feature=player_embedded

(apologiez for any typos above, I'm using mentl powers to enter this post insted of keybrd. Stil lernang.;))

slapout9
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
So staring at a goat, in a intense fashion, can distress the goat to the degree where it's heart rate increases? I think I can do that.

I know a lot of folks in Slapout that could do that....how much you get paid for that?:D

MikeF
11-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I know a lot of folks in Slapout that could do that....how much you get paid for that?:D

I'm only half-joking when I suggest that we should put together a team of country good ole boys to go after Bin Ladin.

Training would be easy. The boys from my home already know the hills. I'd just have to explain that in this part of the woods, we do lamb roasts instead of pig pickens.

And, I'd have to find a way to keep them off the heroin :D. They can keep the goats.

Mike

William F. Owen
11-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm only half-joking when I suggest that we should put together a team of country good ole boys to go after Bin Ladin.

It don't worry me none, I reckon. :wry:

Corto
11-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Alternatively, if the heart rate decreases perhaps the goat was merely getting bored!! :)

Savelli had a stare that would probably make Rasputin whimper.
He had a whole strange para-psychological/spiritual methodology behind the "Death Stare" that if I recall correctly could only be utilized with a strong moral rationale. This was many, many years ago, so my memory may be faulty. He was a scary guy. I'm sure he's having conniptions over this movie.

jmm99
11-03-2009, 07:24 PM
is in the MindWar (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?p=64601&highlight=goats#post64601) thread here at SWC from Jan 2009.

There is also an on-going "discourse" at Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25682), involving a former ASA guy and the SF folks there (arising out of the ASA guy's comments to the media re: the movie and that he was in Special Forces). That led me to a Remote Viewing webpage (http://www.remoteviewed.com/about_remote_viewing.htm) (Mr Wheaton's), which defines that as:

Remote Viewing is the trained ability to acquire accurate direct knowledge not available to the ordinary physical senses, of things and events or 'targets' — distant in time or space, in the past, present, or future.

Originally developed for and utilized by The Department Of Defense for intelligence collection purposes with the famed 'Stargate' project, it has a long history (30+ years) as an intelligence gathering tool.

Since I am lucky or unlucky enough to have an ASA vet in house (no, he does not claim to have been in Special Forces), I asked him what he thought of "Remote Viewing" (as viewed by Mr Wheaton et al). "You gotta be kidding."

Now, I have to get back to concentrating on the next judge I want to influence - already know what he thinks he wants to decide. :D

Cheers

Mike

Bob's World
11-03-2009, 07:35 PM

..that us SF guys make a goat nervous by staring into its eyes....never could get the dang Brits to stop making them nervous by the way they stared at the other end! :)

(Movie sounds enjoyable, but I doubt it exposes any deep national security secrets to public review.)

MikeF
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Army apologizes for Ryan Seacrest stalker (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20317193,00.html)

Ryan Seacrest may be back to tweeting about Rihanna songs and preparing for the next season of American Idol, but his bizarre stalker ordeal just took a new twist.

Reports reveal that Chidi Uzomah Jr., 25, who is in police custody under suspicion of stalking Seacrest, is a sergeant with the Army Reserves under the 426th Civil Affairs Battalion – a part of the Army's special forces.

Uzomah, who entered the E! offices on Friday armed with a knife to find Seacrest, served in the Army National Guard from 2005 to 2009 before being honorably discharged. Soon after, he transferred to the Army Reserve. Army spokesman Lt. Col. Nathan Banks told TMZ, "We apologize to Ryan Seacrest. Pending the outcome of the local investigation, the Army will decide what further action to take. We take all matters of our personnel seriously."

Uzomah is already on probation following a September incident in which he attacked one of Seacrest's bodyguards after being refused a meeting with the radio/TV host. He faces a three-year restraining order, as well as possible Army discipline.

In justifying the restraining order to the court, Seacrest declared, "His aggressive and violent efforts to come into physical contact with me are extremely frightening to me. They have jeopardized not only my personal safety but also the safety and well-being of those around me."

slapout9
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Dr. C what is your expert opinion on psychic phenomenon?

Dr. C
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Well, right now I'm very much enjoying that my message posting in the "what are you currently reading?" thread was moved and deserved its own threaded discussion.

As for my expert opinion on psychic phenomenon, I do think that there are "intuitives" who have very strong intuition and take in information this way. The Army uses the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). Based on the MBTI, intuitives or "Ns" make up a smaller number than sensors or "Ss" in the general population and in the Army. Sensors are those who take in information with their five senses, and put more value in their experiences than in "hunches."

Hacksaw
11-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Dr C,
As an "off the charts NT" :o... I'd like to know how to stare more effectively....
Thought my "glare" worked very effectively with my two daughters who are nearly grown and on their own :D....

However, my son (15mths) is another story :wry:... are there any indications that some of the goats laughed at the "starers" 'cuz that's all the reaction I get out of my mid-life surpise....:confused:

omarali50
11-03-2009, 10:27 PM

I once took up palmistry as a way to hold girl's hands but then found that in a few weeks I had become "psychic" and my subjects were revealing scarily personal details to me. Another friend tried "graphology" at the same time. After comparing notes, we decided that its not the particular mumbo-jumbo. ANY such exercise improves your intuition of subtle clues (mostly without your having any idea what clues you are using).
My current belief is that there is nothing supernatural in any of this, but "natural" is a much more interesting category than we think and there is gold in them thaar hills for anyone who puts in some effort (naturally, some people are intrinsically better at it than others..."gifted"). But in the end, one well placed 7.62 mm round trumps all psychic abilities....

jmm99
11-04-2009, 02:22 AM
via the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), in Nov 2008, The council, INTJ (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=6304) - including yours truly in this revealing analysis (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showpost.php?p=60787&postcount=21) of the INTJ (JMM) and ENTJ (Stan) types. This true piece of work (pure science) is an invaluable reference to our present study of psychic energy applied to goats.

What is proof of the pudding is Ted's introduction of sheep (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showpost.php?p=60583&postcount=3) into the equation; and 120mm's coup de grace introducing the goat (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showpost.php?p=60623&postcount=6) - foretelling the present discussion by almost 12 months. Verily, need we more evidence than that presented to our lying eyes. ;)

Cheers

Mike

selil
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
We used to arrest people who stared at farm animals to long... Never really knew their intentions if you know what I mean. As to the movie? Well I'm hoping it is funny even if most people won't get the jokes. I was figuring it would be in the same genre as "Burn after reading".

IntelTrooper
11-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I was figuring it would be in the same genre as "Burn after reading".

I hope so. That movie was brilliant.

Van
11-05-2009, 01:34 AM
LTC (ret) Jim Channon's "First Earth Battalion" can be found here (http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_channon_0200.htm). This is the guy played by Jeff Bridges in the movie. Interesting stuff...

jcustis
11-05-2009, 04:56 AM
That's some FBCB2 stuff right there!!!

Ski
11-08-2009, 03:28 AM
You have to go to the top to understand how all of this emerged. A guy named General Stubblebine was the INSCOM commander in the 80's, and there is all sorts of weird stuff associated with him. The First Earth Battalion is one of his projects, he also did a lot of weird stuff that can be read about in "The Hunt for Zero Point" book.

A very good friend of mine who retired as a CW3 and was a career MI NCO/Warrant said Stubblebine used to bend spoons with his mind, a la Uri Geller. My buddy is now a SES-level civilian in the MI world and I have zero reason to doubt him.

I'm looking forward to the movie, the book was wildly entertaining, even if there was some poetic license taken.

Spud
11-08-2009, 05:35 AM
If you want his 1st Earth Battalion Field Manual OM-1 it is here (http://arcturus.org/field_manual.pdf)

I am pretty sure that if you download it someone will notice though :eek:

Reading it makes you long for the day that doctrine becomes more like a graphic novel :wry:

MikeF
11-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Selil will probably have a much better synopis, but here's my take.

The movie had so much potential if they had stuck to comedy particularly just the concept of a "hippie" batallion running around Fort Bragg; however, half way through the movie, it went serious. They tried to politicize issues of private contractors in Iraq shooting recklessly in Ramadi and PsychOps units going rogue and torturing prisoners. Not cool.

Other than that, if you're a non-military person into drugs, then you might really like it as a way to expand your mind.

Mike

Van
11-09-2009, 04:16 AM
An alternate version of Earth First Manual (http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_channon_0200.htm) online through Electronic Journals of Martial Arts and Sciences (http://ejmas.com/jnc/)'s mis-named "Journal of Non-lethal Combatives". This version includes some really groovy stuff that was dropped from the .pdf in the previous links. The commentary and endnotes by the EJMAS staff are also interesting.

PaulOConnor
03-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi folks,
Read Ronson's book and saw the premier in Dublin, with Ronson in attendance. I spoke with him after the movie as I know something about a number of the characters portrayed in the movie. Ronson takes no credit for the movie script; when you sell your story to Hollywood, you sell the rights with it, so he had no editorial control over how his story was portrayed.

The movie is a mish-mash of a number of different stories and personalities.

The key character is a gut called Jim Channon, who first promoted the conceptual idea of the First Earth Battalion.That's one story.

A completely seperate story is the one about the Army's Remote Viewing operational unit which was based at Fort Meade, Maryland, with the research component based in SRI in Palo Alto. The program ran from the early seventies, until it was declassified in 1995 and over 40,000 documents released under the Freedom of Information Act.

I tracked down one of the unit trainers, a guy called Lyn Buchanan of P>S>I Inc in Alamogordo www.crviewer.com (http://www.crviewer.com) and brought him to Ireland to give training in the technique.

It's not some psychic woo-woo stuff. It's grounded in hard science, research and operations it actually works. The program had to fight for its funding each year for 23 years, and each year they got their money.

I recently gave a lecture about it at a UFO conference in Ireland, which was recorded and uploaded onto YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsi4VSWQseU). Ignore the title and UFO-related stuff.

The first part is a historical background, including the story about how it was used to identify the first 'Boomer' Typhoon Class Russian submarine. In the middle is a 10 minute video of an actual remote viewing session, to show what's possible at the most basic level of training.

There's a lot more I could say on the subject, and I have a lot more stories of its use in operational circumstances, and there's more info on my blog. (http://purestreaminformation.blogspot.com/)

Regards,
Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Director/Project Manager
DAEDALUS [vision¦creativity¦innovation¦change]
DAEDALUS Blog: http://blogdaedalus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DAEDALUSie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Director/Project Manager
PSI: PURE STREAM INFORMATION
Professional Remote Viewing Services
PSI Blog: http://purestreaminformation.blogspot.com/