PDA

View Full Version : Wlc

reed11b
12-23-2009, 07:03 PM
I just completed WLC, and as well as learning "train to time, not to standard" and "do as I say, not as I do", there was a COIN section. Of course since it wasn't tested and my class was all 88Ms except for me (11B) and two EOD guys, we covered it very very briefly. From this I learned that if it is worth teaching, it is worth examing the students knowledge afterwards to encourage the teachers to teach it effectivly and to insure the students actually attempt to learn it. I can feel comfortible leading a PT formation, Teaching skill level 1 and two tasks and give killer WARNO's and OPORDERS. Of course I was tested on all of these events. I learned and/or retained little to nothing of the other classes. Am I close to being right, or am I way off base?
Reed

IntelTrooper
12-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Interesting. At what installation was this course held?

Schmedlap
12-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh man, I have so many questions, but I'll limit myself to 2.

1) In addition to testing students on leading a PT formation (I presume this is the "extend to the left" and "even numbers one step to the left" drill), do they also test one's ability to put together a coherent physical conditioning program for Soldiers of varying levels of fitness? Or is it just the ability to spit out instructions like a robot? I suspect the latter is much easier to evaluate, so I have my cynical suspicions.

2) What was the "COIN section"?

reed11b
12-23-2009, 10:08 PM
@inteltrooper: Ft Richardson, but run by NGB. NG instructors but mostly Active Duty Students.

@Schmedlap: There was coverage on the importance of a well rounded PT program and we had to create several non-traditionl routines for the test, but we were TESTED on the extend to the left drill. The COIN coverage was about 2 hours, and as it was not tested, the instructors only gave it lip service and I learned very little. Should be the same as what is being taught at any WLC course since it is TRADOC required. Some of the others on this site could probably tell you the "content" better then I.

marct
12-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Reed, that is just scary! What could you actually get out of a 2 hour COIN "section" other than, possibly, buzzwords?