PDA

View Full Version : Konduz Airstrike Aftermath

Eden
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
On 4 Sep 2009 US F-15Es dropped two GBU-38 bombs on two stolen fuel tankers southwest of Konduz in northern Afghanistan, incinerating several dozen Taliban and several dozen more civilians. In the immediate aftermath there were several investigations started. The Afghan government, the German government, and ISAF/NATO all launched investigations. Additionally, I know that German prosecutors considered bringing charges against the German military personnel involved.

I have lost the bubble on the outcomes (if any) of these various investigations. Have any borne fruit? Are their findings published in open-sources? Were any of those involved punished, formally or informally? Any help on this would be appreciated, as I am putting together a case study for a course I am teaching

Fuchs
01-21-2010, 09:04 PM
An internal report was leaked to wikileaks weeks ago.

Everything else was just politics.

William F. Owen
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Everything else was just politics.

It's all politics. That's why the F-15s dropped the bombs - to set forth a policy!

Fuchs
01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Damn Wilf, it took me years to feel like I grasped the difference between "politics" and "policy" (which is both "Politik") and now you shatter everything!