PDA

View Full Version : Information request: Irish intelligence services

avenger15
02-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Hello,

I am looking for OSINT regarding Ireland's intelligence capabilities and methods, particulary concerning G-2 Military Intelligence Branch and the An Garda Siochana's Special Branch C3. Online articles and info are preferred as I am not able to order books for mail delivery at this time. Thanks for any info or pointers.

davidbfpo
02-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Avenger15,

I'm reasonably certain this RFI is unique here:
I am looking for OSINT regarding Ireland's intelligence capabilities and methods, particulary concerning G-2 Military Intelligence Branch and the An Garda Siochana's Special Branch C3.

There are a lot of Google hits, partly reflecting the history of 'the Troubles' and the allegations, often by Republicans, that the two states Special Branch co-operated closely. This cooperation took years to achieve and had it's moments, notably the murder on the border of two RUC SB senior officers after a meeting with their counterparts - allegedly betrayed by a spy inside the Garda.

Don't overlook Irish history, with the Civil War's impact on how the Irish state developed and could take a very harsh view of Republicanism.

Checking my bookshelf and three books - there is little mention of the Irish Army G2 and far more on the Garda. Reviews of the books might help: 'Bandit Country' by Toby Harnden, 'The Informer' by Sean Callaghan (a Garda-run informant in PIRA) and 'The Irish War' by Tony Geraghty.

This may reflect the early history of 'The Troubles' when the Irish Army had a strange role, IIRC supplying arms to the North; albeit directed to do by their minister.

Good luck making headway as there is much "smoke" about.

bourbon
02-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Check out this bibliography:
http://intellit.muskingum.edu/othercountries_folder/ireland_folder/irelandtoc.html

If you can get on LexisNexis search the archives of Intelligence Online formerly Intelligence Newsletter; it is a publication based out of France that has good coverage of Europe.