Page 90 of 132 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2625

Thread: Syria in 2016 (October onwards)

Council Member

The General Command of #YPG: We have rescued 6,000 civilians from the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo

They rescued no one...these were fleeing civilians which have been now detained by Assad forces.....

NOTICE the red star of the PKK still the same in all of their logos and flags since 1979
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

Quneitra: Rebel TOW strike against #Assad bulldozer in #Quneitra Province.

Council Member

Aleppo: No ambulances or fuel left to transport the wounded in Eastern #Aleppo.

Council Member

Default To CrowBat RE: Various

Firstly, I have never claimed that the Assadists are a “lesser evil” than the Sunni Arab supremacist movements, namely Daesh and Al Qaeda. On the contrary, I have often argued (on Disqus) that Assad has killed, injured and displaced far more civilians than Daesh, and that the latter’s gruesome spectacles are intended to ensure that the Sunni Arab population complies with its rule and that the Shias and Kurds are deterred from confronting it, whereas Assad is indifferent as to whether the civilians in opposition acquiesce, flee or perish.

Secondly, many tyrants would inflict more suffering if they had the ability to do so. This applies to Hussein and Al-Baghdadi as much as it does Putin, Khamenei and Assad. However, we as students of history can only judge their actions, not what they may or may not have done had they controlled the world’s strongest military. The fact that you place Tito and Stalin in the same category is precisely why dispassionate context is required.

Thirdly, there are ancient ethnic and sectarian cleavages in Syria that the elder Assad initially attempted to dissolve, not unlike Yugoslav’s Tito, but then later exacerbated during his internal conflict with the Muslim Brotherhood and other opposition. Having said that, the armed Sunni Arab opposition of the 1980s did not attract enough support from the Sunni Arab population in Syria, unlike from 2011 to present, so there are more variables at work than Alawi vs. Sunni. Overall, I would say that Hafez was more inclusive of groups outside his own in comparison to Iran and Iraq, and certainly far more tolerant of the Kurds than the other three states in which they reside. Nevertheless, he was brutal toward any and all opposition, and his bodycount from 1979 on exceeds that of Iran.

Fourth, I have never subscribed to the notion that a brutal dictatorship is required to hold diverse societies together. What I will say is that the political boundaries of the Near East are not reflective of the ethnic or religious groups that reside there and that rather than unitary states that rely upon oppression in order to maintain integrity, federations with substantial regional autonomy are necessary if these borders are to remain.

Fifth, dictatorship is awful and all dictators rely upon brutality and gangs of thugs to remain in power and play divide and conquer with various political, religious and ethnic groups. I am well aware of the mechanics of authoritarian and totalitarian rule, thank you. Yet the revolutionary fervor propels tyrants’ followers to vehemently eradicate opposition fades over time (e.g. the Soviet Union in 1989-1992). What the rank and file of the Syrian security forces were prepared to do or to be complicit in during the 1980s has changed over 30 years, even if fanatical loyalists and groups tied to Assad’s fortunes remain prepared to do the worst.

Sixth, you seem more interested in ad hominem than a comparative analysis of this war. The fact is that according to the publicly available data, Assadist forces have killed more combatants than non-combatants. This does not mean that Shabiha gangs are not marauding around murdering, robbing and raping, that Syrian helicopters are not bombing apartment blocks, or that Syrian forces are not using chemical weapons indiscriminately. However, I would not compare Assad’s offensives to Operation Searchlight or the German anti-partisan operations on the Eastern Front as yet. Perhaps you are too close to your subject?

Seventh, I have never claimed that Assad’s victory in the war would lead to less killing or stability. In fact, I fail to see how the forces that he and Khamenei have unleashed can be bottled back up. At present, it seems rather certain that Syria will remain divided among various armed groups for the foreseeable future and that even a Lebanon-type political arrangement will be impossible without a massive foreign international peacekeeping effort.

RE: No-fly Zone

I look forward to your article in WOTR, which I read daily.

(a) You will have to admit that the West was too hasty in both lending its official support to the SNC and FSA in 2011, and then withdrawing it. Given developments in Egypt, where the moderate or secular opposition was crushed between Mubarak and the Muslim Brotherhood, and Libya, where it continues to struggle to survive, it was reasonable to assume that Syria was no different. Indeed, the FSA went through a period roughly in 2012-2013 where it was suffering from internal tensions, defections to Nusra and other Islamist groups and conflict with other rebel groups. I believe that the FSA must be supported because if it is allowed to be crushed, the Sunni Arabs will turn to Daesh, Nusra or a similar group to protect them from the Alawis, Shias and Kurds. This does not mean, however, that the FSA is capable of defeating the Islamist rebels even if Assad was overthrown.

(b) I fully agree with you on the technical aspects of the air defense threat. The issue is political not military.

Neither NATO nor the Coalition would agree to establish a no-fly zone where Russian aircraft are operating.

If the US unilaterally imposed a no-fly zone that covered areas where Russian aircraft were operating, I believe that Putin would ignore it. What then? What happens when US aircraft are shooting down Russian aircraft without a UNSC mandate or even the permission of the country whose airspace they are in?

When there are images and videos of dozens of Russian aircraft exploding in the skies, Putin will be forced to react lest he lose all legitimacy with the Russian people, which is predicated upon his personal charisma rather than any legal or rational authority.

Any US president who believes that ousting Assad, Russia and Iran from Syria is more important than US national security, and its existing commitments to NATO and other allies, is not worthy of the office.

This is where I differ with you and Outlaw, because there are engaged, interested and passionate US officials all over the globe. If every one of their compelling security issues were dealt with in the way that they saw fit, the United States would be at war with Syria, Iran, North Korea, China and Russia at the very least.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Aleppo: #YPG and #Assad flags raised in #Bustan_al_Pasha District in Eastern #Aleppo today.

THIS is the supposedly US supported Kurdish proxy YPG/PKK FIGHTING with Assad and Putin AGAINST FSA and not IS.....
    Saving this one for those who still believe that the Kurds will solve everything...

Council Member

FSA || #EuphratesShield
    Free Syrian Army forces preparing to break into Khalilia & Zorzo to liberate them from #Daesh

FSA News ‏@FSAPlatform
    Rural #Aleppo || #Syria
    Video: Iran's Cmndr Qassem Soleimani visits Iraqi militia Al Nujba before recent operations
    https://youtu.be/JGPa3_oEH-g

Council Member

FSA News ‏@FSAPlatform
    #Breaking || #Aleppo
    Civil Defence Sttmt on humanitarian catastrophe in besieged Aleppo 2000+ airstrikes, chlorine gas & ballistic missiles

Council Member

Default Reading between the lines...

@PhillipSmyth estimates that #Syria hosts somewhere between 15,500 and 25,000 Shia foreign fighters.
    Has it occurred to you that the United States is using the Syrian Civil War to drain Iranian resources, cripple Lebanese Hezbollah to protect Israel and prevent Iranian interference in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and Lebanon?

Human suffering aside, Iran has lost Syria - a major asset - and has worsening ties with Hezbollah which is tiring of the fight.

Council Member

Aleppo: #YPG held a funeral procession for dozens of their fighters in #Manbij. They were killed by #FSA & Turkish army east of #Al_Bab.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azor View Post
    Has it occurred to you that the United States is using the Syrian Civil War to drain Iranian resources, cripple Lebanese Hezbollah to protect Israel and prevent Iranian interference in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and Lebanon?

Human suffering aside, Iran has lost Syria - a major asset - and has worsening ties with Hezbollah which is tiring of the fight.
    Wait a minute.....Iran is already in AFG.....Pakistan....Iraq and Lebanon....and that is not keeping Shia away from the Israeli border the last time I checked.....

In fact Iran is virtually on the edge of taking over completely in Syria and the cost to Sunni's is what 500K or 600K or 700K dead and still the Iranians are inside Syria and Iraq...

So what you are posting makes no sense....

The US is making in fact the holy mess far more messy....take their support of the Kurdish proxy YPG/PKK which is actively fighting openly against Turkey and FSA NOT against IS....WHICH was supposedly the real reason we are supporting them BUT WHICH is fighting with the active support of Iran/Russia and Assad......against a NATO ally.....

Council Member

Wait a minute.....Iran is already in AFG.....Pakistan....Iraq and Lebanon....and that is not keeping Shia away from the Israeli border the last time I checked.....

In fact Iran is virtually on the edge of taking over completely in Syria and the cost to Sunni's is what 500K or 600K or 700K dead and still the Iranians are inside Syria and Iraq...

So what you are posting makes no sense....

The US is making in fact the holy mess far more messy....take their support of the Kurdish proxy YPG/PKK which is actively fighting openly against Turkey and FSA NOT against IS....WHICH was supposedly the real reason we are supporting them BUT WHICH is fighting with the active support of Iran/Russia and Assad......against a NATO ally.....
    OK...

Prior to the Syrian Civil War, Iran could count on the support of:

• Syria, in particular its antiquated but superior IADS, which could at least monitor northern Israel, Jordan and the Iraqi-Jordanian border, and alert Iran of an incoming Israeli airstrike
    • Iraq, which could deny permission to Israeli and US aircraft en route to Iran, and which could also alert Iran of incoming airstrikes
    • Lebanese Hezbollah, which could retaliate against Israel
    • Iraqi Hezbollah, which could retaliate against US personnel in Iraq
    • Afghan Shia militias, which could retaliate against US personnel in Afghanistan
    • Pakistani Shia militias, which could retaliate against US personnel in Pakistan or against the Pakistani government for collusion with the United States

If airstrikes against Iran's nuclear facilities were launched tomorrow, Iran would be in a comparatively weaker position to retaliate compared to 2010, given:

• Its special forces and funding in Syria
    • Lebanese Hezbollah's commitment to Syria
    • Other Shia militias' commitment in Syria or Iraq
    • The loss of Syria's IADS
    • The ongoing conflict against the Syrian opposition, Al Qaeda and Daesh

Council Member

I agree that the YPG is a Syrian branch of the Turkish PKK. While I approve of US and Coalition efforts to help the YPG defend Kurds from Daesh, I am concerned that the YPG is manipulating its various sponsors and engaging in ethnic cleansing under the guise of liberating Arab and Arab-Kurdish areas from Daesh. Despite the gloss in the mainstream media, I understand that not all Kurdish groups are the same and I also know that the Iraqi Kurds and Peshmerga have been clients of the United States since 1991.

However, like it or not, neither the Syrian Civil War nor the one in Iraq can be resolved in isolation, and they have brought to the fore intense demands for self-determination and security on the part of Shias, Sunnis, Arabs and Kurds alike, to say nothing of smaller minorities, and it would be folly for Ankara, Beirut and Teheran to believe that they can inoculate themselves from the conflagration let alone the social and political contagion.

Turkey is a NATO ally, however, it is also a historical and contemporary oppressor of the Kurds that has killed more Kurdish civilians over the same period than both the Syrians and Iranians since 1979. Although Turkey has experienced terrorism on the part of Daesh, a number of bloody attacks have targeted Kurdish areas in Turkey, including HDP rallies, and may have played a major role in the AKP's most recent parliamentary results. Knowing the brutal cunning of Turkey's security services, it would not surprise me in the least if a number of these terrorist attacks were in fact false flags and also used to pull support away from the HDP's more democratic and inclusive and mandate. The PKK is a terrorist organization, however, it is an understandable consequence of Ankara's success at viciously suppressing moderate (egalitarian integrationist) Kurds, leaving representation of the community to violent radicals (egalitarian and supremacist separatists).

Now, despite the YPG and YPG elements within the SDF acquiring TOWs, it seems that US support for the YPG remains limited to fighting Daesh, whereas various FSA units have been vetted by the CIA to receive TOWs and other lethal aid in order to fight both Daesh and Assad.

Moreover, the Russians seem to be providing the lethal aid that the YPG is using against the FSA and Turks, as well as the close air support against the FSA, within the Russian meaning of CAS.

In my opinion, Erdogan is NATO's own mini-Putin, who should be removed from NATO. Ankara has long lost the ability to be an honest broker with respect to Syria, although I don't see why Ankara's interference should be denounced whilst Teheran's is ignored.

CrowBat..this is the second such air strike by unknown aircraft.....in the last two days.....

Several reports claiming Assad positions in the Khanaser area in south rural #Aleppo were targeted by an "unknown" jet a little while ago

OK......now we know who bombed the first time......confirmed by proAssad commenter.

Russians mistakenly bombed Nubl and Zahra towns with RBK-500 cluster bombs:
    Yup, and best of all is: all of these air strikes - those on Nubol/Zahra (supposedly up to six, although only two were actually registered), and the two at Khan Nassir - can be clearly 'credited' to Russians.

Two of their aircraft were airborne over western Aleppo Governorate around the time Nubol/Zahra enclave was hit, and two were airborne over southern Aleppo at the time Khan Nasir was hit.

People do not believe me, and say I'm 'making things', and there is certainly a chance of inexperienced Russian naval pilots entering wrong coordinates into their SVP-24s - but I see this only as evidence for there being no direct communication between Russians and the IRGC.

Council Member

Azor.........think about this statement and how this same mentality is to underline US FP going forward over the next four years......an advisor this close to Trump tells you where we are going......

WHEN an advisor this close to Trump cannot even understand that capitalism is not a form of government then we are all in trouble.....so when Syrians demand the rule of law and good governance instead of raw pure capitalism then are we the US to support or not support????

Trump advisor Stephen Moore: "Capitalism's more important than democracy, I'm not even a big believer in democracy"

Firstly, I have never claimed that the Assadists are a “lesser evil” than the Sunni Arab supremacist movements, namely Daesh and Al Qaeda....
    ...what a surprise: even more so considering the AQI (and all of its predecessors) were all the time intensivelly supported by Assadists and Iranians.

Let me guess: you've never heard of such thugs like Abu Qaaqaa and his gang of jihadists parading around Syria while protected by members of various 'intelligence services', all though the period 2003-2009...? You've never heard of Assad's and Q's 'Jihad Import-Export' business of that time?

The fact that you place Tito and Stalin in the same category is precisely why dispassionate context is required.
    Wait a second, please: when I ridicule the thesis about 'harmony' between ethnic groups under dictators responsible for systematic mass murder: that means I'm emotionally involved...?

Cool.

Thirdly, there are ancient ethnic and sectarian cleavages in Syria that the elder Assad initially attempted to dissolve...
    By purging Sunnis out of the military and state apparatus, and imposing Alawite minority instead...?

...not unlike Yugoslav’s Tito...
    ...who was installing chauvinist Serbian ex-Chetnik criminals (and collaborateurs with Nazis) into the communist state apparatus in place of Croats and Bosnians - in the name of 'unity and brotherhood'...?

Now I see: I simply do to understand anything at all about this with 'history' and 'historians'...

Having said that, the armed Sunni Arab opposition of the 1980s did not attract enough support from the Sunni Arab population in Syria, unlike from 2011 to present, so there are more variables at work than Alawi vs. Sunni.
    To recapitulate: Moslem Brotherhood's insurgency of late 1970s and 1980s didn't attract public support. But the appearance of Jihadists of the AQI - created, imported to Syria and then supported by Assad in late 2011 and early 2012 - 'did'?

And this: because you said so...?

Cool.

Overall, I would say that Hafez was more inclusive of groups outside his own in comparison to Iran and Iraq, and certainly far more tolerant of the Kurds than the other three states in which they reside.
    Oh, they are all more inclusive than the other. They all are - or were - true internationalists, while everybody else is a chauvinist, retarded counterrevolutionary, or jihadist created by a CIA-al-Qaida-conspiracy....

But foremost: all of these lovely dictators and mass-murderers were so badly misunderstood. They never had anything but best intentions for everybody around them.

Fourth, I have never subscribed to the notion that a brutal dictatorship is required to hold diverse societies together. What I will say is that the political boundaries of the Near East are not reflective of the ethnic or religious groups that reside there and that rather than unitary states that rely upon oppression in order to maintain integrity, federations with substantial regional autonomy are necessary if these borders are to remain.
    Interesting. BTW, who imposed these borders there?

Sixth, you seem more interested in ad hominem than a comparative analysis of this war. The fact is that according to the publicly available data, Assadist forces have killed more combatants than non-combatants.
    Yeah, 'sure & of course'.

Since you're so much better at a comparative analysis, how about you presenting these figures confirming your standpoint?

BTW, before you do so, please check if your analysis is including about 200,000 Syrians disappeared by Assadists since 2011, or all those listed in Cesar Files. I'm looking forward for your reply.

However, I would not compare Assad’s offensives to Operation Searchlight or the German anti-partisan operations on the Eastern Front as yet. Perhaps you are too close to your subject?
    No doubt I am. Haven't you concluded this already earlier? At least at the start of this post of yours?

BTW, have you seen latest figures for numbers of Syrian refugees?

Have you taken a closer look at Google Earth images of southern and eastern Damascus, Homs, and then Hama from the last four years?

If yes, why not trying to do that now? What do you get to see there?

Should you come to the idea to check that place: can you explain me how comes half of Hama was flattened completely (NOW, i.e. in this war, not back in 1982, and as can be clearly seen on Google Earth) - although there was never any kind of fighting there?

And then, have you ever asked yourself how many of dozens of thousands of those 'evacuated' out of various insurgent-held pockets around Damascus this year are going to return to their homes?

Have you ever put these factors together, and within the context?

Declare me emotionally involved as much as you like; tell me I'm interested in ad hominems only, and cannot analyse. All no problem. But, if you failed to pay attention at the fact that half a million of Syrians was murdered in cold blood, if you failed to realize that nearly 60% of the Syrian population is uprooted and turned into homeless refugees (at least half of which is never going to return to their homes), and if you failed to find out that more than half of major Syrian cities were completely destroyed... if you failed to not only collect the related information, but also to analyse it... well, then it's actually you who missed most of this war, and most of Assadist actions directly comparable to those of Nazi 'Einsatzgruppen' in western USSR of 1941-1942.

In such case, you can declare me as emotionally involved as much as you like. But, fact is: when it comes to the Syrian Civil War, you're again presenting yourself as somebody who simply has no clue what is he talking about.

Council Member

Azor.....think about this for a moment....

Hassan Hassan

@hxhassan
    Who knew that Mosul and Aleppo might be the cities where a new state of play, for Baghdad & Damascus, is determined around the same time!

NOTICE not a single individual here outside of say CrowBat....Weiss..Leister Hassan and Orton in the US MSM or in the DC seems to fully understand exactly what is ongoing inside Syria/Iraq and the ME.....

Have you seen in US MSM at anytime in the last say two years a thorough discussion on Iran and the IRGC and the Khomeini "Green Crescent dream of his" and his "Islamic Revolution" which has a heavy Shia jihadi undertone...NO you have not......

We must accept that Iraq is well on the way to becoming the new Islamic Iraqi Republic as is Syria.......the new Islamic Syrian Republic and that is OK with Obama and Trump?

Really go back a reread a lot of Khomeini's writings say from 1969 to 1979 they might really surprise you........

THEN reread the rivalry between Khomeini and the then King of KSA for control of the global Muslim Uma..... including both Shia and Sunni....when Khomeini realized he was not "winning that fight" he moved into direct confrontation with KSA....and Khomeini has continued that rivalry this time with a war......being fought in Syria not in KSA.....

THEn go back and reread anything you can get your hands on about the actual historical development of Islam over say the first 800-1000 years and you will notice that in developments of the Caliphates (actually Baghdadi is not the first to declare one) one strong Sunni one was based in Damascus and ruled over Iraq and into Iran.....

THEN reread the "Ali" and "Hassan" events as viewed by Shia and then notice that when The Caliphate in Damascus was defeated there was a Shia Caliphate established in Baghdad...a Caliphate that applied to both Sunni and Shia.....

WELL now the Shia have their Baghdad and now Damascus and Beirut and presto the Khomeini "Green Crescent" truly appears out of the ashes....

AND Russia thinking it can control IRGC....the Iraqi Shia militias inside Syria and Hezbollah is in an altered state of reality...

AND Russia believing they cannot avoid this same development inside Russia especially from the Sunni side ...well they have in fact an ongoing jihadi war already....in the Caucasus's with daily fights between Russian Security Service forces and jihadi's...

With the pictures now streaming out of Aleppo...this will only deepen that jihadi fight.....

Council Member

Azor...it would really behoove you to go back into Muslim historical and fully understand this oppression by Shia with "Ali" and "Hyusan" and their relationship to the Sunni side of Islam....

Why do I say that...you hear a constant stream of comments around them in the current Iraqi Shia militia statements in Syria as well as similar comments coming out of Hezbollah.......

IMHO right now we are seeing a serious fight between Shia and Sunni's being carried out in Syria...

Khomeini wanted to be the mystical leader of the entire Muslim Ummah as his writings reflect the thinking that both Shia and Sunni could be reunited under his leadership...

If this is the case then if you are Turkey....or KSA who view themselves right now as potentially the leader of the global Sunni and you see what is occurring in Aleppo and across Syria at the hands of Shia and yes Assad is a off shoot member of the Shia....

WHAT is your response going to be if you sense Khamenei is making good on Khomeini's "Green Crescent"????

That is what we must watch over the next few months....

Council Member

BTW...I think we are actually just weeks away from a Turkey/KSA/Qatar decision on what is next as they are trying to understand the election of Trump for the ME....BUT I think they thoroughly know what it is....even though Trump advisors have sent out mixed messages on Turkey they have been repeatedly clear on Assad and Putin....

"If you do not leave... you will be annihilated."

Leaflets dropped by #Russia & #Assad regime on eastern #Aleppo. (via @hrw)

(a)You will have to admit that the West was too hasty in both lending its official support to the SNC and FSA in 2011, and then withdrawing it.
    The 'West' never provided any kind of serious support for the SNC, and especially not for the FSyA.

This is likely to sound 'liberal' from US POV, or 'leftist' from EU POV, but... bottom line, the core problem with all the 'West' did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Libya, Syria, etc. was a pitiful apathy of self-serving cleptocracies run by big corporations that prefer to believe own prejudice and cheap PRBS.

See, 'Islam is incompatible with democracy'; see, 'they know no other language but that of violence'; see, 'they're going to declare an Islamic state' etc., while at the same time the very same 'establishment' in control of our governments cannot but support a never-ending war because they are all the time are cashing billions for armament spent in it.

But, of course, I'm emotionally involved and cannot analyse. Because of this I do not understand that such policy is 'securing hundreds of thousands of jobs', and thus 'preferable' to any kind of solutions that would actually end the war... Indeed, I am too blind but to see that 'fighting a war' is 'going to end sooner, and prove to be a far cheaper solution' - as so professionally demonstrated in the last 14 years, right?

Given developments in Egypt, where the moderate or secular opposition was crushed between Mubarak and the Muslim Brotherhood...
    Wrong. The opposition in Egypt was a mix of seculars and the MBs. It won against Mubarak, and was 'decided to elect' the MBs. Then Egyptians discovered the MBs are not the best solution after all: thus, the very same opposition - including majority of the MBs - supported the army coup. And the army then 'restored' the 'order' from before 2011 - and smashed the opposition that supported its coup.

And the West did nothing at all, because... well, because neither was a solution it likes: it's far easier to keep a corrupt military dictator under control than any kind of a pluralist democracy.

...and Libya, where it continues to struggle to survive, it was reasonable to assume that Syria was no different.
    Are you sure it is?

Shall we dissect what happened in Libya since 2011, and then draw parallels to Syria?

Indeed, the FSA went through a period roughly in 2012-2013 where it was suffering from internal tensions, defections to Nusra and other Islamist groups and conflict with other rebel groups.
    Defections?

Name me one defection of any major FSyA unit to 'Nusra' or 'other Islamist groups', please.

I believe that the FSA must be supported because if it is allowed to be crushed, the Sunni Arabs will turn to Daesh, Nusra or a similar group to protect them from the Alawis, Shias and Kurds.
    Yeah, the usual legend on 'Assad or Daesh/Nusra etc.'...

Please, be so kind to explain me: what is your reasoning - which is so very widespread in the West, no doubt about that - that Syrians are left without solution but 'Assad or Daesh/Nusra etc.'?

Have you got any kind of substantiated basis for it?

Is it the ignorance of millions of Syrian refugees that fled to Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Canada and wherever else...and the fact they are unlikely to return in the time of their life?

Is it the ignorance of millions of Syrians that are yet to follow?

(b) I fully agree with you on the technical aspects of the air defense threat. The issue is political not military.

Neither NATO nor the Coalition would agree to establish a no-fly zone where Russian aircraft are operating.

If the US unilaterally imposed a no-fly zone that covered areas where Russian aircraft were operating, I believe that Putin would ignore it. What then? What happens when US aircraft are shooting down Russian aircraft...
    And that is the essence of that problem: there would be no Russian aircraft shoot down, because Russians wouldn't dare challenging a NFZ.

They would paint with SAM-radars, threaten, boast, complain, cry, offend, and lie, like they always do. And that's all.

The reason is simple, and expertly summarized here: The Delusion of Russian Power.

And re. 'unilateral decision, not supported by the UNSC'... recently, somebody asked me something like, 'if we do it unilaterally what is the effect on US prestige and credibility in the future?'

For there to be any kind of negative effects upon 'US prestige and credibility', there would first and foremost have to be anything of 'US prestige and credibility' left after all the nonsense the USA created in the last 16 years.

But, there is none of that left. Absolutely nothing. Not even 'wreckage'. Correspondingly, there can be no negative effects upon it.

Any US president who believes that ousting Assad, Russia and Iran from Syria is more important than US national security, and its existing commitments to NATO and other allies, is not worthy of the office.
    Oh, but sure. Because, letting the IRGC establish itself in control of most important parts of the Middle East - including more than half of known World-wide oil/gas sources, plus such a spiritually important area like Syria - is 'no threat for US national security'.

Very nice. Then let the IRGC do so, and then let it return to threaten Israel from a position reinforced by a magnitude.

...and you'll see how, 'all of a sudden', this is going to become 'the crucial issue of US national security', and there is going to be no end of blames about 'failures of Oblabla's foreign policies'.

This is where I differ with you and Outlaw, because there are engaged, interested and passionate US officials all over the globe.
    Absolutely. Indeed, I'm ready to agree (and sign a corresponding statement), any time of the day, that these officials are not only engaged, interested and passionate, but also professional and dedicated, convinced and dependable patriots too.

Please, have absolutely no doubts about this.

Just like there's no doubt that half of them have contracts for future jobs at various think-tanks or in defence sector in their pockets. With which we're back to 'point 1' in this post.

Precisely as expected, this morning there are already reports about mass arrests, indeed first reports about 'extrajudical killings' (read: summary executions) in the parts of Eastern Aleppo city 'liberated' by the regime, plus those about executions of POWs by the PKK/PYD/YPG.

Why is this 'as expected'? Because this is what Hanano used to look like, back in 2012.

In another giant success for democracy, freedom, and pluralism, the Local Council of Darayya, elected in free elections early this year and proven as one of most pluralist and most effective in all of insurgent-held areas of Syria, but then 'evacuated' (read: ethnically cleansed) by the IRGC in August, was officially dissolved, yesterday.

Instead, nowadays Iranian Mullahs are praying in Daraya.