Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Blogs to Watch

Council Member

Default Is there an operational...

...level of war. No. I agree there. But Wilf, as always, is too eager to throw the bambino out with the bathwater. I do belive that there is something called operational art. I could take or leave the article. I find this much more enlightening.
    Last edited by Tukhachevskii; 08-10-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Vanity

The XX Committee - intelligence, strategy, and security in a dangerous world

Great blog by Prof. John R. Schindler from the Naval War College and a former NSA Balkan hand. His blog bio:
    John R. Schindler is professor of national security affairs at the U.S. Naval War College, where he’s been since 2005, and where he teaches courses on security, strategy, intelligence, terrorism, and occasionally military history. Before joining the NWC faculty, he spent nearly a decade with the National Security Agency as an intelligence analyst and counterintelligence officer. There’s not much he can say about that, except that he worked problems in Eastern Europe and the Middle East with a counterespionage flavor, and he collaborated closely with other government agencies who would probably prefer he didn’t mention them. He’s also served as an officer specializing in cryptology (now called information warfare for no particular reason) in the U.S. Navy Reserve.

He is a senior fellow of the International History Institute at Boston University and is chairman of the Partnership for Peace Consortium‘s Combating Terrorism Working Group, a unique body which brings together scholars and practitioners from more than two dozen countries across Eurasia to tackle problems of terrorism, extremism, and political violence. He has lectured on terrorism and security in over twenty countries.

He is a historian by background, with a B.A. and M.A. from the University of Massachusetts and a Ph.D. from McMaster University. His books deal with topics like the Italian front in World War I, Islamist extremism in the Balkans, and an insider’s look at how Al-Qa’ida thinks and operates. He’s currently writing a couple books on cool stuff.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Default Look East

An observer to the east suggests this worth visiting
    Agentura.Ru is an Russian web-site founded in 2000 as internet-community of journalists monitor and write about Russian, American, British, and other Western security and intelligence agencies. Editor of Agentura.Ru is Andrei Soldatov, deputy editor - Irina Borogan.
    Link:http://www.agentura.ru/english/press/about/

It does not appear to be regularly updated, but on a quick scan has items that may interest KGB / GRU watchers.
    davidbfpo

http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/

The Strategist is the official blog of The Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI).

The Strategist will provide fresh ideas on Australia’s defence and strategic policy choices as well as encourage and facilitate discussion and debate among interested stakeholders in the online strategy community.
    It's partially about Australian security policy, partially about military topics in general.

established July 2012

Pakistanis for peace

I looked at it only quickly, but it may be of interest to others here.

Default CT website

Hat tip to Bill Moore for this website:
    GlobalECCO's mission is to build and strengthen the Combating Terrorism Fellowship Program's (CTFP) global alumni network of Combating Terrorism (CbT) experts and practitioners through innovative and engaging technologies and techniques that both enable and encourage collaborative partnership between individuals, nations, organizations, and cultures.

GlobalECCO enables communication between members who may otherwise be isolated physically, and allows multiple community members to interact, facilitating collaboration and continuing education on critical security issues. It also helps to maintain a network of skilled operators with a wealth of expertise to share and to draw on.

GlobalECCO hosts a variety of innovative, interactive modules, including a progressive multimedia journal (CTX), strategic gaming applications, and an original and ongoing collection of operator archives from those who have fought in the war on terrorism.
    Some interesting articles in the journal CTX and SWJ appears in the links given.

Link:https://globalecco.org/home
    davidbfpo

Matthew Aid is a intelligence historian, he runs a solid blog on his homepage:

http://www.matthewaid.com

Matthew M. Aid is the author of Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror (January 2012) and The Secret Sentry, the definitive history of the National Security Agency. He is a leading intelligence historian and expert on the NSA, and a regular commentator on intelligence matters for the New York Times, the Financial Times, the National Journal, the Associated Press, CBS News, National Public Radio (NPR) and many others. He lives in Washington, DC.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Default Watching China in Central Asia

This blog examines China's evolving influence and role in Central Asia.

Written by Raffaello Pantucci, a Senior Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), Dr. Alexandros Petersen, author of The World Island: Eurasian Geopolitics and the Fate of the West and Sue Anne Tay, a photographer and author of Shanghaistreetstories.com.
    Link:http://chinaincentralasia.com/

After studying in China for several years, learning the language, Raffaello Pantucci has taken to travelling through this vast region and some of his earlier posts appear on:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...read.php?t=246
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default MEMRI...old here?

http://www.memrijttm.org/

I rally like this website. Great for white papers etc....
    I support our troops!

You are baiting me, bro!

Yes, they have been around awhile; and I am sure they do produce some good material. But they are far from an impartial source, and certainly have an agenda and/or certain incentives driving their work.

Dangerous Magazine

Dangerous magazine is the latest journey into the places, things, people and ideas that are changing our world.

From Robert Young Pelton, the author of the World’s Most Dangerous Places, The Adventurist, Hunter, Hammer and Heaven, Licensed to Kill and other books, comes the magazine for those who live on the edge. The Dangerous team delivers unique and provocative content too dangerous for normal outlets.

No walls, no barriers, no bull.
    New project from Robert Young Pelton. Some interesting stuff so far:

Earning Its Keep: The HK416 Within the US Military, by Will Grant

Quadrotor Tactics
    , by Will Grant

Inside Burma’s Dirty War, Part I
    , by Robert Young Pelton

Inside Burma’s Dirty War, Part II
    , by Robert Young Pelton

Default The Duffel Blog

The Duffel Blog
    About Us

A Brief History

Since 1797, The Duffel Blog has been serving the men and women of the American military with insightful commentary and hard-hitting journalism. While other agencies have sometimes run from possibly scandalous stories, TDB has been known to be edgy and ahead of its time, almost as if they could see into the future. After reporting on President John Adams’ $200 per week cocaine habit in March 1799, TDB was named The American Military’s Most-Trusted News Source by the Columbia Journalism Review and the nickname stuck.

The Duffel Blog is sometimes referred to as “The military version of The Onion”, but this is a popular misconception. The misnomer was cleared up in May 2012 when TDB staff successfully conducted an airborne assault on the offices of The Onion News Network so that others would know “The Onion was actually the civilian version of The Duffel Blog.”

The Duffel Blog was nominated for The Pulitzer Prize in 2012 “for continued excellence in journalism”, and has been recognized as a world leader in modern media by other, unworthy news outlets such as The Military Times, NBC News, Gizmodo, USA Today, and Business Insider.

Who We Are

TDB was originally founded by Lance Corporal Alfred Whittingham, a U.S. Marine stationed at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, PA. Whittingham, a prolific binge drinker and avid boxer, served as a recruiter for the-then newly formed Marine Corps. As new recruits came to volunteer, Whittingham would force them to drink shots of whiskey and challenge them to a dueling match before allowing them to sign the enlistment papers — a practice that is still used by Marine recruiters across the United States today.

The role of Editor-in-Chief passed around the military throughout the years, like Private Earl Williams of the U.S. Army (1823-1833) who set the tone with groundbreaking articles such as “I Hate My Sergeant Major And Here’s Why You Should Too”. A particularly dark time fell upon TDB when the duties of editor were passed to Gunnery Sergeant Elias Rodriguez (1987-1990), who wrote most of the articles himself, replacing words such as “the” and “source” with “Oohrah” and “Devil Dog”. Readership plummeted in the following years.

Legal

We are in no way, shape, or form, a real news outlet. Just about everything on this website is satirical in nature. The content of this site is parody. No composition should be regarded as truthful, and no reference of an individual, company, or military unit seeks to inflict malice or emotional harm.

All characters, groups, and military units appearing in these works are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, or actual military units and companies is purely coincidental.
    Most are probably already familiar.

Made the WSJ yesterday. These guys need to do a book.

Prank and File: These Military Reports Are Out of Line - Satirical Website's Fake News Dupes Readers; Tomahawks to Replace Bayonets?, by Dion Nissenbaum. The Wall Street Journal, April 21, 2013.
    "The lads have a well-tuned sense of humor and convincingly imaginative 'reporting' that bode well for a country that could use some laughs," said Marine Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis, who just retired as head of U.S. Central Command. "I think the writers know that we need to stop taking ourselves so seriously."

The best bit at TDB was how viral the Linda Lopez story got...

There was an radio host that went live with the story before being told it was satire by an on-air caller.

Lopez's opponent in that fall's congressional race tweeted out the story as legit, was called on, and then started an argument with TDB about the fact that they published it at all.

In the online comments, it was pointed out repeatedly that the article was satire, and yet commenters still argued with the people pointing it out, basically asking "how do you know it's satire?"

It was a far, far more amusing to watch the story unfold than to read the article itself.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Default War on the Rocks

http://warontherocks.com/

New blog seems to have come about June/July 2013. Discusses defense matters, strategy, international relations, etc. Appear to be doing podcasts similar to Commander Salamander blog.

Default Traditional Right By Bill Lind

Link to William S. Lind's new blog site. He is back for sure now.

http://www.traditionalright.com/

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Link to William S. Lind's new blog site. He is back for sure now.

http://www.traditionalright.com/
    Just checked it out and it appears to be my type of thing. The name of the blog alone is down my alley. I need to start my own blog one of these days.

Lind reads as fairly bitter about a lot of things...and kinda off his rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Lind reads as fairly bitter about a lot of things...and kinda off his rocker.
    Can you be more specific about how he is off his rocker? I only ask because I've always wondered if the insane know they are nuts and if he is off his rocker do I know if I'm off mine.

Lind to me just calls it as he sees it and I appreciate that.

Thank goodness for the spammer who drew my eye to this post. I never clicked on this thread when it first came up, but the journal looks like the precise bridge to cover my reading gap I have had for a while.

If the editorial advisory panel member Julian Thompson is THE Julian Thompson of the Falklands fight, this is a great find indeed and will support a ton of research which has stalled the last few years.