Thread: White House Wants Iraqi Leaders to Reach 'Political Accommodation'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sunni bloc pulls out of Iraqi government

This will not help <sigh>.

Sunni bloc pulls out of Iraqi government
    Last Updated: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 | 8:27 AM ET
    The Associated Press

Iraq's largest Sunni Arab political bloc announced its withdrawal from the government Wednesday, undermining Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's efforts to seek reconciliation among the country's rival factions.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's efforts to promote unity among the country's factions might be undermined by the withdrawal of the Sunni Arab political bloc from government.Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's efforts to promote unity among the country's factions might be undermined by the withdrawal of the Sunni Arab political bloc from government.

More...
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

Default Posturing by pullout

Marc,

This seems to be a weekly occurrence by one faction or another and they all seem to come back when nothing happens. I think it is part of the structural problem with the current constitution. It appears to be designed to avoid the "tyranny of the majority" and instead favors a status quo enforced by minorities. It appears to be impossible to just call an up or down vote on an issue or a leader. By guaranteeing the "rights" of minorities they seem to have guaranteed inaction.

That being said, the current focus on the "benchmarks" seems misplaced. When you look at the underlying premise of the bench marks, i.e. reconciliation, it appears to be happening without the politicians. Perhaps that should be a bigger concern for the politicians. If the purpose was to stop the Sunni fight against the government, that appears to be happening without the legislation.

Default Deals With the Devil

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post

Sunni bloc pulls out of Iraqi government
    Last Updated: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 | 8:27 AM ET
    The Associated Press

Iraq's largest Sunni Arab political bloc announced its withdrawal from the government Wednesday, undermining Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's efforts to seek reconciliation among the country's rival factions.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's efforts to promote unity among the country's factions might be undermined by the withdrawal of the Sunni Arab political bloc from government.Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's efforts to promote unity among the country's factions might be undermined by the withdrawal of the Sunni Arab political bloc from government.

This will not help <sigh>.
    That's OK...the Sunnis are now our anti-AQI Allies

Sorry for the cynicism but this was entirely predictable. We have and are endorsing these groups as distinct entities with a right and obligation to arm themselves in defense of the goals they set for themselves--at least as long as they are against AQI. Faust got the deal he asked for...

Tom

I don't think you're being too cynical, Tom . I just expect that it will get picked p by the pols and used as more fodder for a "pull the troops home" move. Anyway, I always thought it would make more sense for Iraq to operate on a confederal basis that on a federal basis.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

I always thought it would make more sense for Iraq to operate on a confederal basis that on a federal basis.
    I always thought it was nearly inevitable if we removed the lynch pin of the previous regime but in a much messier fashion than implied the word confederal. I see another but larger version of Lebanon if the state or concept of Iraq holds together.

Tom

So Tom, who do you think gets to play the role of the Syrians in this particular Civil War scenario? The U.S.? The Iranians? Perhaps the Turks?

Actually all three plus others

Iran as the overall spoiler and backer of the Shia

The Saudis and Jordanians backing the Sunnis (probably with under the table support from Syria's Sunni majority.

The Turks as a counter to the Kurds

Tom