Thread: Egypt's Spring Revolution (2011-2013)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Only the security sector is a winner

Omar Ashour weighs in with a commentary:
    The new Constitutional Declaration, the Revolution Protection Law, and the new presidential decrees have several aims:
    To remove the public prosecutor, a Mubarak-era holdover who failed to convict dozens of that regime’s officials who had been charged with corruption and/or abuse of power;
    To protect the remaining elected and indirectly elected institutions (all of which have an Islamist majority) from dissolution by Constitutional Court judges (mostly Mubarak-era holdovers);
    To bring about retrials of Mubarak’s security generals;
    To compensate and provide pensions for the victims of repression during and after the revolution.

While most Egyptians may support Morsi’s aims, a dramatic expansion of presidential power in order to attain them was, for many, a step too far.
    He concludes:
    he security sector may, it seems, emerge from this crisis as the only winner. It will enforce the rule of law, but only for a price. That price will be reflected in the constitution, as well as in the unwritten rules of Egypt’s new politics. This constitutes a much more serious and lasting threat to Egypt’s democratization than do Morsi’s temporary decrees.
    Link:http://www.project-syndicate.org/com...rYkGVARAKXr.99
    davidbfpo

Default Sons of Beaches: How Alexandria's Ideological Battles Shape Egypt

The last two paragraphs from an article on Alexandria, Egypt's second city, which is well worth reading for its depth and insight:
    One of several concerns for me over the past two years has been the appropriation of religion and thrusting it onto a dangerous identity based politics trajectory in the city of Alexandria. I cannot help but make a personal contrast. As a child, my uncle, a Muslim Imam at a local mosque, would often take me with him on routine runs, in the Alexandrian suburb of Camb Shezar (Camp Caesar), to assist an old widowed Christian lady, and in contrast with the conventional discourse adopted by “TV celebrity sheikhs,” I had never heard him use the word infidel, demonize others, or even raise his voice. To me, what he humbly did and does until this day is a revolutionary act in the face of an encroaching reactionary Islamist conservatism that continues to inflame the toxic mixture of religion and politics. Not only is this trend severely harming the social fabric of the coastal city, but also it is sending disturbing signals throughout the country.

It is often said the one who controls Tahrir, controls Cairo, and controls Egypt. Yet it can also be said the one who wins the ongoing “Battle of Alexandria” is handed the baton, like a Maestro, to wave and direct the tempo, rhythm, nuances, and dynamics of Egypt’s political orchestra that plays to an 83-million strong theatre—all yearning for a happier ending.
    Link:http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index...logical-battle
    davidbfpo

Default Egypt: a country on edge

An IISS Strategic Comment on Egypt's precarious position; it ends:
    Despite recent unrest and disillusion with the new order, a second revolution remains unlikely. There is a risk, however, of a continued erosion of the state's authority as a result of ineffective governance and sporadic violence.
    Link:http://www.iiss.org/publications/str...untry-on-edge/
    davidbfpo

Default Egypt: a country going downhill?

Hat tip to Red Rat for this pessimistic report:http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...igilantes.html
    davidbfpo