Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SWJ: praise given and reviews (merged)

As Ken says for you young'ins Dr. Hook...Cover Of The Rolling Stone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ux3-a9RE1Q

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default A Poet's view of life applies to us, too.

The Scottish Poet Robert (Bobby) Burns said it in plain simple English: "It takes no brains, no genius to criticize."

"Pedants will be able to cite exceptions, and thus undermine useful (insightful) theory. Their depredations must be firmly resisted by one simple test: does the theory generally aid understanding of useful military problems? If so, then exceptions are permissible."
    J.P. Storr “Human Aspects of Command”

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by George L. Singleton View Post
    The Scottish Poet Robert (Bobby) Burns said it in plain simple English: "It takes no brains, no genius to criticize."

"Pedants will be able to cite exceptions, and thus undermine useful (insightful) theory. Their depredations must be firmly resisted by one simple test: does the theory generally aid understanding of useful military problems? If so, then exceptions are permissible."
    J.P. Storr “Human Aspects of Command”
    OK. You have my attention. What are you trying to say?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Should've banned amateurs when you had a chance. Now you're going to be owerrun with riff raff.

On a serious note, the most intelligent conversation on the net happens here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Default "Post modern COIN avant-garde"

Wilf that's even better than "pop-centric COIN"! I can even picture a few of them sitting at a cafe wearing jaunty berets, sipping Absinthe and Pernod, and drawing on their delicately held Gauloises.

Where did they go? Well, having stepped off into the limelight to now revel in their new pop stardome they seem to have left we of the pragmatic and weathered hoi-polloi to continue to march on.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    Wilf that's even better than "pop-centric COIN"! I can even picture a few of them sitting at a cafe wearing jaunty berets, sipping Absinthe and Pernod, and drawing on their delicately held Gauloises.
    Don't forget the safety belts, gotta have the safety belts

Default Safety Belts!

I love it!
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Speaking of COINS the contest I won for the SWC coin motto...how many years ago??? Boots on the ground...Eyes on the People.....Mind on the Mission

Where is the COIN?? that is what should be on the cover of RS.

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    A little guidance here. Exactly how to we enter this on our resumes?
    One of my idiot friends put "Time's Person of the Year" under Awards and Distinctions, because Time's Person of the Year a couple years ago was "You" (Facebook, YouTube, etc.)

So a bunch of y'all can say you were person of the year TWICE and now are on RS' Hot List!

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post

Where did they go? Well, having stepped off into the limelight to now revel in their new pop stardome they seem to have left we of the pragmatic and weathered hoi-polloi to continue to march on.
    I'm not sure they ever existed or went anywhere! They might still be here! Some dinosaurs became birds. They mostly come at night... mostly

The men who made the US Army understand that war is not just formation level combat operations, against other formations, deserve praise and credit. They are cool.

The "War is changing" and "Clausewitz doesn't apply any more" are the folks I worry about.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Yeah...but...

we still have to compete with this. And I, for one, ain't gonna even attempt it.

However, this could be something of an "in action" shot for the wild kingdom portion of the council....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default As it reads

It appears as a column on the right side of page 85 with a pic of Somali Pirates.

Hot Intelligence: 'Small Wars Journal'
    The Military's New Must Read

Want to know how Obama is going to fight the war in Afghanistan? Then check out Small Wars Journal, an online magazine that provides a crash course on asymmetric warfare. Get schooled in fighting Somali pirates. Find out what Malcolm Nance, a former Navy interrogation instructor, thinks about waterboarding ("a torture technique, Period"). When David Kilcullen, special adviser to Gen. Petraeus, live-blogged the Iraq surge, he did it for SWJ.

Contributions include who's who of the sharpest minds in uniform, regardless of rank. "You're judged purely on the strength of your intellectual argument," says John Nagl, a retired lieutenant colonel who helped write the Army's Counterinsurgency Field Manual. Run by two former Marines, the site is a must-read for military insiders. "We must be doing something right," says co-founder Dave Dilegge, "because we get people calling us Attila the Hun warmongers one day and counterinsurgency-loving tree-huggers the next."

Default No Photos???

what happened to the photo shoot of Ken and Tom in the speedos??
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I think they were either banned or confiscated....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I believe that they were banned under a number of non-proliferation treaties.

SFC W

Default Censorship

Just more examples of the "MAN" trying to keep Ken and Tom down
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by JMG1093 View Post
    It appears as a column on the right side of page 85 with a pic of Somali Pirates.

Hot Intelligence: 'Small Wars Journal'
    The Military's New Must Read

Want to know how Obama is going to fight the war in Afghanistan? Then check out Small Wars Journal, an online magazine that provides a crash course on asymmetric warfare. Get schooled in fighting Somali pirates. Find out what Malcolm Nance, a former Navy interrogation instructor, thinks about waterboarding ("a torture technique, Period"). When David Kilcullen, special adviser to Gen. Petraeus, live-blogged the Iraq surge, he did it for SWJ.

Contributions include who's who of the sharpest minds in uniform, regardless of rank. "You're judged purely on the strength of your intellectual argument," says John Nagl, a retired lieutenant colonel who helped write the Army's Counterinsurgency Field Manual. Run by two former Marines, the site is a must-read for military insiders. "We must be doing something right," says co-founder Dave Dilegge, "because we get people calling us Attila the Hun warmongers one day and counterinsurgency-loving tree-huggers the next."
    Thanks JMG - I was wondering what was said...

Default Non-procreation treaties...

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    I believe that they were banned under a number of non-proliferation treaties.
    Something about containment being inadequate. Sounded like discrimination to me but Tom said to just drop it so I did and they yanked the pics...

How was I to know what he meant...

Default More breaking rock & roll news...

Phil Spector jailed for 19 years.

Not sure about this new crowd we're running with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Something about containment being inadequate. Sounded like discrimination to me but Tom said to just drop it so I did and they yanked the pics...
    You mean that's NOT Tom on the right
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/