Thread: mTBI, PTSD and Stress (Catch All)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Brave Men

Another General has stepped forward. General Blackledge is a two tour GWOT vet. Here is an article on him LINK... and GB Trudeau has recognized him as well. Doonesbury
    Reed
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    This truly is the bike helmet generation.

Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    Another General has stepped forward. General Blackledge is a two tour GWOT vet. Here is an article on him LINK... and GB Trudeau has recognized him as well. Doonesbury
    Reed
    The following quote is a mis-characterization:

In the past, those who spoke up about problems they were having were told to “Suck it up and Soldier on.”
    The problem isn't really ostracization, imo. At least not by other vets, or members of the unit. The problem, as I see it, is the bureaucratized responses by the DoD and VA when they react to criticism that they aren't doing enough for the vets. And the criticism springs forth from media that is driven by "flavor of the week" reporting and the "All Vets are mental time-bombs just waiting to go off" meme that resonates among those who are ignorant of things military.

So, while the intent is to "help" the veteran, making PTSD-reporting mandatory, and subject to UCMJ action should you fail to report it is not the freaking answer... (I'm looking at a sheet of paper right now for my PHA which asserts that very thing) And the PTSD counselling groups being conducted, where PVT Schmuckatelli gets to hear LTC Jackov's personal laundry aired are just stupid. and contrary to good order and discipline.

In other words, while there IS a need for tools to be available to the veteran, voluntarily and without recourse, I doubt that either the VA or any other bureaucratic response will be useful or appropriate.

BTW, forgive me if I don't appreciate doonesbury exploiting combat vets as a tool to beat his agit-prop drum. The only reason he gives a crap, imo, is to to advance his career and push his blatant and rabid anti-war/anti-military beliefs. So I question the motives of any of Doonesbury's cartoons.

Default GEN Ham story on combat stress

PTSD is almost forced on all the personnel coming back from the box. Questions like, "DId you shoot your weapon?" or, "Did you encounter sand?" were viable criterium for a full PTSD check. I am not of the opinion that PTSD is a fallacy, rather I believe the military IS doing what it can to treat this on a grand scheme. The TROOPS generally have a stigma attached to this. It was taught in basic that "profile rangers" were lacking METL to complete their tasks. We all know the why's of this (to keep trainees in training) but the result is the lack of admittance when something is wrong for fear of reprocussions. The VA does have problems to work out (as with any government agency because of the sheer size and required red tape) but it assists MANY troops. The AD military agencies tasked with the assistance and aid of AD troops can only help, if the troop asks.

What can be done about this?

GEN Ham has made the first (large) step. He has shed some light on the issue. If a GENERAL can get promoted and prosper after having been through this, then it is viable that ANY troop, enlisted or officer can be helped. Good show, GEN Ham.

Of course, these Generals "coming out" are akin to Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake". Of COURSE there's no stigma; these guys are freaking Generals and can pretty much do what they want. The one thing I've learned since 2001 is that you can get away with anything you want in todays army, as long as you're an O-6 and above, and you aren't the "designated fall guy".

Look at this picture of GEN Casey.

How many privates do you know that can wear their hair that long? And that's the shortest I've EVER seen this rag-bag's hair in a picture. There is definitely a double standard in effect, here, and I don't think the "good" done by the current PTSD hysteria comes anywhere near balancing out the harm and harassment it has caused. But, frankly, I don't think the folks pushing PTSD like drugs on a playground give a crap what harm they cause. They get money, and jobs, and control freak issues out of it.

Actually, the correct question might be, what SHOULD we be doing about this. And treatment professionals need to think about some of the downstream effects of their treatment efforts.
    Last edited by 120mm; 12-23-2008 at 06:54 PM.

120mm,

I think you're overly harsh here. The Army is sincerely working on ensuring that individuals seeking counseling aren't stigmatized. In my opinion, it's also working. These generals are trying to further that. I don't see a need to cast aspersions on them.

There are lots of people who can and do seek assistance, if only to "talk out" some of their issues. I know it was the case with me - part of that was even published. Not all 'help' has to be a hardcore PTSD case, getting people to deal with things that trouble them helps down the line. Real people make hard decisions and sometimes just need some help dealing with them.

I think I understand your intent , but I think you're creating straw men here.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    120mm,

I think you're overly harsh here.
    You are correct, of course. I'll dial it down a bit.

The Army is sincerely working on ensuring that individuals seeking counseling aren't stigmatized. In my opinion, it's also working. These generals are trying to further that. I don't see a need to cast aspersions on them.
    Perhaps your experience with Generals has been different from mine. With few exceptions, I've found them to be shallow me-firsters who are most concerned with CYA. But then I've been stuck on a series of bad Generals' staffs too long.

There are lots of people who can and do seek assistance, if only to "talk out" some of their issues. I know it was the case with me - part of that was even published. Not all 'help' has to be a hardcore PTSD case, getting people to deal with things that trouble them helps down the line. Real people make hard decisions and sometimes just need some help dealing with them.
    I'm all about the informal ways to deal with PTSD. What I object to is the reactionary, CYA, overbearing, mandatory "one sized fits all" solution that the Army appears to be pushing. (At least to these eyes)

I think I understand your intent , but I think you're creating straw men here.
    Now, are you talking about the "Generals get PTSD too" I/O campaign, or the fact that GEN Casey needs a frickin' hair cut?