Thread: Syria: a civil war (closed)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    If you want a definition of "win" - find, fix and finish by destroying the enemy's will to resist.
    I swear someday I will learn where this strange widespread insistence on "fix" in such simple three word rules comes from. Pretty sure the UK FMs are not the root of this obsession with the actually unnecessary "fix" stage.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    I swear someday I will learn where this strange widespread insistence on "fix" in such simple three word rules comes from.
    It sounds cooler if they all start with "f", and the sequence has to be three.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Default I guess there is a reason Germans are the measure in lexicography.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    I swear someday I will learn where this strange widespread insistence on "fix" in such simple three word rules comes from. Pretty sure the UK FMs are not the root of this obsession with the actually unnecessary "fix" stage.
    They have a tendency to insist that words are supposed to mean something. I’ve wondered the same myself. Are Fs #1 and #2 redundant (in the same way as a fellow I know who insists on signing his name as <Dr. King, PhD>)? Or does F #2 mean ‘keep in place’ (which is at least part of what I assume is meant when I read that Rangers support CAG operations)?
    Last edited by ganulv; 03-11-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Yes, usually the "fix" part is about stopping and pinning down the enemy, apparently in order to make it easier to move into a good assault position, aim well or simply for having some time for deliberations.

The Find/Fix/Destroy sequence elevates "fix" well beyond it league, though. It's the most unnecessary part (to finding and to destroy isn't always useful either).

I dislike such simple maxims because they're dumbing down too much.

Council Member

Default More complexity here, if you need it

F3EAD: Ops/Intel Fusion “Feeds” The SOF Targeting Process
    by Charles Faint and Michael Harris
    Journal Article | January 31, 2012

Fix

Once a target is identified, the full gamut of intelligence collection capability is applied against the target in order to develop operational triggers to “fix” the target in space and time. Fixing a target simply means that the intelligence effort has progressed enough that the operations function has sufficient information to execute the mission, whether that mission be kinetic or non-kinetic. When possible, SOF utilizes a practice of “federating” or spreading the intelligence effort out amongst multiple agencies in order to maximize effects while minimizing costs, effort, and time. This is often done as far forward as possible in order to increase the speed of the process, but much of the effort can be accomplished via reachback. Federated intelligence processes enable the organization practicing F3EAD to spread the collection effort across the IC, calling on specific organizations and in some cases specific personnel to provide the expertise and capability to bring the process into the “finish” phase. Redundant, persistent, and centralized intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) capability allows commanders to mass ISR against a specific target for the period of time necessary to support F3EAD. The goal of an ISR is to provide an “unblinking eye” squarely focused on the target, to bring the targeting process into the decisive next phase.
    The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD
    by SWJ Editors
    Journal Article | July 16, 2011

The Operational D3A framework emphasizes full spectrum operations throughout the conduct of operations. It takes the entire staff to identify the sources of instability that interdict the Shaping Operations that were designed to set the conditions to decisively achieve the Strategic Objectives outlined in the Campaign Plan. In contrast, F3EAD enables the dynamic tasking process required at Tactical targeting level in support of Full Spectrum Operations. Currently, F3EAD has emerged as the methodology of choice to address certain sources of instability such as Personality and Network Based Targeting.

D3A is a great planning tool but it lacks in agility to execute the dynamic tasking process in the full spectrum operations environment. F3EAD is a great execution tool in the full spectrum environment but it lacks in depth and fidelity during the planning process! Simply put, D3A is a great planning tool and F3EAD is a great execution tool for short suspense targets!
    The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD
    by Jimmy A. Gomez (pdf linked from SWJ Editors)

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 03-11-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Default I wonder if Assad has a version of that graph?

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    F3EAD: Ops/Intel Fusion “Feeds” The SOF Targeting Process
    by Charles Faint and Michael Harris
    Journal Article | January 31, 2012

Because from afar it looks like Air Force Intelligence is doing a fairly decent job of all of the above.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default First hand reporting inside Syria

Hat tip to Circling The Lion's Den's author for his interview of The Sunday Times photographer injured in Homs:http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=5&id=28769

Hat tip to Zenpundit for pointer to a Nir Rosen interview of the Free Syria Army and other opponents in Syria:http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...020166516.html and a longer FP article:http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/pos...yrian_uprising
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 03-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    davidbfpo