Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
Is that today an option for a unit commander? My question only applies to Western armies; who often have multiple means of communication and redundancy.
Sadly you're correct -- it is no longer an option. Or at least it's a more hazardous option in several respects due to that redundancy and excessive micromanagement. I knew that when I made the comment, I made it to signify an attitude, knowing those days were gone and you correctly understood that.
A "touch of Nelson" I think is out of date. There are enough people here who have "boots on the ground" experience to comment.
Though I do not believe you're equally correct in that. However, I do acknowledge -- again sadly -- that many will agree that you are. Fortunately for us all, there will always be a few who just get things done in spite of bureaucratic and risk averse impediments. Who dares, wins -- and those who do not dare don't know what they're missing.

Times change, people adapt -- but all change is not necessarily an improvement and hewing to the rules is not always assured, desirable or even sometimes possible...