Hey Tom,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kratman View Post
Nah, I'm still around, but if I have nothing to say on a given subject then there's no sense saying it.
Jeez, for someone with nothing to say herein... can't wait for your interest to peak

Then there's always professional help available...

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
Well, it's all in the coding ! Sometimes, I just cheat and use wordpad....
Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robinson View Post
Stan, thanks. But what about Lingala in N Kivu / S Kivu? Still applies? The thing is that if one goes as a English-language teacher / foreign language student, which is one of the things I'm idly considering, Tanzania is much easier and safer to learn Swahili in. Never mind, these possibilities are years away - but good to get views on the options.
Hi Colin,
I think there's more than 100 examples of Peace Corps workers doing the exact same thing in Kivu. For that matter, my time in Goma and Bukavu went relatively well with Lingala. Let's not forget that much like any trading border, there's little if any language barriers. In the late 80s I traveled to the bitter end of Lake Tanganyika with a bunch of Brits and Lingala worked much better than French (well, if you've ever heard a Brit speak French, you'd be inclined to learn Lingala too ).