In closing this introduction, I ask you to look at OP 20 from the leadership perspective. Marine or Army, officer or NCO, adaptive leadership played a large part in winning the fight for Fallujah. Matthews correctly points out that the Marine leaders went out of their way to make their Army comrades feel they were truly part of the team, especially in the planning effort. Where the leaders truly shone was when the planning ended and the fight began. Both Marine regiments had difficulty in their initial breaching efforts.
Interesting point...I manned TF Wolfpack's COC on the FJ peninsula during the fight, and can add that when there were difficulties, it was Col Shupp's leadership that helped things along. He was on the net throughout the days and nights, resolving friction points, and having (at times) very direct conversations with his subordinate cmdrs. Some may argue that the focus was often on the wrong level (i.e. company actions), but RCT-1 got it done.

IIRC, he greeted the RCT with a motivated "good morning" every day, and wished everyone on the net a happy birthday on 10 November. He was visible and heard, and it clearly made a difference.