Thread: Stepping back from the Garrison mentality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stepping back from the Garrison mentality

Having suffered through a Joseph Heller-esque drama of 'The General's PIZZA HUT" in Iraq, this sounds reasonable:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...rpc=22&sp=true

In the sprawling military base at Kandahar, the fast food outlets facing the axe include Burger King, Pizza Hut, and the U.S. chain restaurant T.G.I. Friday's that features a bar with alcohol-free margaritas and other drinks -- all set along the bustling "Boardwalk" area of the base.

On any given day, the giant square-shaped walkway features the surreal sight of soldiers sipping gourmet coffee and eating chocolate pastries with guns slung across their shoulders, while Canadians play ice hockey at a nearby rink and fighter jets thunder overhead.

The U.S. military says its beef with the burger joints is that they take up valuable resources like water, power, flight and convoy space and that cutting back on non-essentials is key to running an efficient military operation.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

"we used to be stupid. We are now trying to change." Is this what I am reading here?

Every time I read about such facilities, I just figure there is some vast organisational need that forgives being moronic. If you want a cold Coca-cola, put some cans in a canvas bucket and leave it hanging in the shade.

Personally I see great psychological advantage in not making the MOB-FOB anything like "back home."
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Thumbs up Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Personally I see great psychological advantage in not making the MOB-FOB anything like "back home."
    Unfortunately, we have elected to believe the marketers instead of the Soldiers...

During OIF I, we had hardly any amenities at all. We drank hot water, ate T-rats and slept in pools of sweat.

We wrestled, played spades on MRE boxes and talked #### to each other for entertainment when we weren't busy.

It was the greatest time of my life.

In subsequent tours, with increased amenities, I longed for the days of roughing it. I can't really explain why.

I think that providing soldiers with all these things might make them forget where they are and what they are there to do.

I whole heartedly support this decision.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    I think that providing soldiers with all these things might make them forget where they are and what they are there to do.
    Of course it does. Vietnam should have shown us this, but that particular lessons seems to have been lost along with so many others.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Of course, now Jim Webb and others want to introduce alcohol downrange. Worked in 'Nam.