There is considerable distance between the US and the EU-countries re: the LOAC and ROEs applicable to irregular combatants and to "terrorists" (the dominant EU legal opinion, as I understand it from the Eminent Jurists Panel, regards "terrorists" as solely a law enforcement problem).

I don't see where Etzioni's suggestions will have much traction here; even the current administration seems committed to an LOAC approach to "terrorism" - e.g., Harold Koh's recent remarks and adding Awlawi to the hit list for direct actions.

So far as irregular combatants are concerned, the EU-countries are generally committed to Additional Protocols I & II - and I expect there is considerable support for the "direct participation" requirement advanced by the ICRC. The US attitude toward the "transitory guerrilla" has been negative (which is why AP I & II were not ratified).

One wonders whether, because of the gulf between these basic policies, the US and the EU-countries should refrain from military alliances (such as NATO); and simply co-operate on an ad hoc basis where the mutual benefits far outweigh the policy conflicts.

In any event, what say the Euros (and other non-USAians) re: Etzioni's suggestions being adopted by your own countries.

Regards

Mike