Thread: US forces fight Taliban with heavy metal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default US forces fight Taliban with heavy metal

21st century PYSOPS, with a few shades of 'Oddball'

"Taliban hate [this] music," said a US special forces sergeant. "Some locals complain but it's a way to push them to choose [sides]. It's motivating marines as well." Apparently, when rebel forces start firing on American soldiers in Marjah, an armoured vehicle with "powerful speakers" fires up the tunes, blaring rock and heavy metal so loudly that it can be heard two kilometres away. The tactical playlist continues for several hours.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...-taliban-metal
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Wink Beg to differ

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    21st century PYSOPS, with a few shades of 'Oddball'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...-taliban-metal
    PSYOPS would be if they had a MRAP with a bunch of these

or maybe one of these

Just think of the possibilities
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Bizarre!!

However, does a bit of music really force insurgents to 'lay down their arms??

Also, are locals going to choose whether to support the insurgency, sit on the fence or assist GoIRA forces based upon a US Army playlist????

Sounds a little on the gimmicky, far-fetched side. I can, however, see some of the S2 crowd really getting into this. Geo-specific band effectiveness overlays, a whole new set of Info Requirements generated to aid the S2 in designing the next playlist, some acoustic surveys to ensure appropriate placement for surround sound....

"It's inappropriate," said lieutenant colonel Brian Christmas, the commander of marines in northern Marjah. Christmas claimed he had not heard of (or heard) the audio attacks. "I'm going to ask this to stop right now.
    I think I agree with the Lt Col - however, had those in charge of the playlist used a little more style and started with Wagner I might be more sympathetic to the whole carry-on...
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris jM View Post
    Bizarre!!

However, does a bit of music really force insurgents to 'lay down their arms??

I don't know about insurgents but when I was in Yemen the Yemeni's wouldn't listen to anything other than Yemeni folk songs. When I tried to play some alternative arabic music (i.e., more to my taste) like Haifa Wehbe or Mayriam Fares they would often look as though they were physically sick. In fact, a freind of mine once said that his ears hurt and he felt nauseaous (sic?)! I have to admit, listening to their prefered music did have that same effect on me. Maybe, music does sooth/enflame the savage beast? Keep sendin' out them positive waves baby!

Music can do some pretty weird things to both your brain and body . As an FYI, Metal is a key part of the culture wars going on in Egypt right now (see here).
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Guess I will have to start the SBW playlist What a job Somebody have the guy in charge send me a PM. Time for some Hnedrix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qTXRkAKr8

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Music can do some pretty weird things to both your brain and body . As an FYI, Metal is a key part of the culture wars going on in Egypt right now (see here).
    Fascinating... and all power to the young artist/ rock chick in that interview.

Thanks for the link marct, I vaguely recall reading an article posted on aldaily on a similar topic. Good stuff.

Likewise Tukhachevskii cheers for the anecdote. I find it all v interesting.

With regards to Mr Owen's Terry Poison recommendation, that's soft core! Instead of just annoying Violent Muslim Extremists we could always go out of our way to full out provoke them via a bit of Benni Bennasi 'satisfaction' or Eric Pryde's 'Call On Me' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCqg92qks). Those two clips make Ms Spears seem positively angelic by comparison

However, I can't promise that such a choice in music won't distract the coalition soldiers who will no doubt have some fond memories of the music videos in question!
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan