Thread: Dr. Lani Kass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Dr. Lani Kass

Can someone explain why this person has the ear of the Joint Chiefs? Why would she be advising on areas that are way outside her competence. She majored in Russian studies, yet advises on cyberwarfare and the Middle East????

How can this be? How does a former Major in the Israeli military, and presumably a dual national, get to this position? Two examples of her work are here:

http://www.au.af.mil/info-ops/usaf/c...orce_sep06.pdf

http://www.mountainhome.af.mil/news/...p?id=123060048

More info here:

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_s....html#comments

Her bio has been pulled from the Air Force website.

And here:

Dr. Strangelove, Made in Israel
    by Philip Giraldi, April 15, 2010

One would expect the Air Force’s top civilian adviser to be someone who has spent some time in the US military or who has a very particular educational or skills set that brings something special to what is, after all, a very senior and sensitive position. Not so. Dr. Lani Kass, who is the senior Special Assistant to the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force General Norton A. Schwartz, was born, raised, and educated in Israel and then served in that country’s military where she reached the rank of major. She has a PhD in Russian studies but advises Air Force Generals on Cyberwarfare, terrorism, and the Middle East. And Kass appears to have close and continuing ties to her country of birth, frequently spicing her public statements with comments about life in Israel while parroting simplistic views of the nature of the Islamic threat that might have been scripted in Tel Aviv’s Foreign Ministry.

Kass’ official Air Force bio, which has been expunged from the Pentagon website possibly due to less than flattering commentary regarding her appointment, indicates that since January 2006 she has been "the principal adviser on policy and strategy and formulates, develops, implements, and communicates the policies, programs and goals of the Air Force." Another official bio adds that she "…conducts numerous complex, high priority special assignments involving research and fact-finding to develop analyses, position and issue papers, and generate new initiatives based on a variety of strategic subjects of critical importance to the Joint Staff and/or the Joint Force." There have also been suggestions that Kass has recently become an informal adviser to Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, on Middle Eastern policy.

Dr. Lani Kass is married to Norman Kass, a former Pentagon Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, and resides in McLean, Virginia. She has been naturalized as a US citizen and is presumably a dual national who now holds both American and Israeli passports. Her three children were all born in Israel. While it is perhaps not unusual for American citizens to volunteer with the Israel Defense Forces as White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel did in 1991, it would have to be considered unprecedented for a senior Israeli military officer to obtain a high level position at the Pentagon. In fact, it is hard to imagine that anyone carrying out a security background investigation would approve such a transition under any circumstances, suggesting the possibility that Kass’s ascent to high office might have been aided or even godfathered by friends in key positions who were able to override or circumvent normal procedures.

Dr. Kass’s full first name is Ilana and her maiden name is Dimant. She has a 1971 BA in political-science and Russian area studies, summa cum laude, from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and a 1976 joint PhD from the Kaplan School of the Hebrew University and Columbia University in international affairs. She apparently met her husband Norman at Columbia. Both she and her husband are fluent in Russian and Hebrew. After completing her PhD, she served in the Israeli Air Force, achieving the rank of major. For those who are unfamiliar with the military, the rank of major is a senior rank that normally would be awarded to a career officer.

Between 1979 and 1981, Kass worked at the Russian research Center of Booz Allen and Hamilton. Between 1985 and 2005 she held the position of Professor of Military Strategy and Operations of the National War College. In 1992 Dr. Kass obtained a senior position at the Pentagon as Special Assistant to the Director, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5). Dick Cheney was Secretary of Defense at the time. She returned to the Pentagon under Secretary William Cohen and stayed on during 2000 – 2001 as Senior Policy Adviser and Special Assistant for Strategic Initiatives to the Director, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5) under Donald Rumsfeld.

In early November 2006, US Air Force officials formed the Air Force Cyberspace Command that had the "authority to launch wars in cyberspace." The command was reported to be "largely the brainchild of Dr. Lani Kass, director of the Air Force Cyberspace Task Force."

Dr. Kass’ position and access inevitably raise a number of questions. Her appointment is somewhat unseemly, which even the Air Force appeared to recognize when it removed her bio from the website. Surely there must be qualified Americans who would be both delighted and proud to serve their country in the position she holds. Surely someone in Washington must see the security implications of a former foreign military officer holding a high level post in the Pentagon with full access to classified information. To challenge Dr. Kass’s position is not to question her academic credentials and intelligence or even her ability or integrity, but it is not unreasonable to ask why the Pentagon would appoint to a sensitive position someone who was born, raised, and served at a senior level with the armed forces in a foreign country..........................
    http://original.antiwar.com/giraldi/...ade-in-israel/

Default I thought I suggested that you needed to broaden your source selection...

a long time ago...

Read those hard core left wing sites and you'll get flooded with misinformation. Aside from the links you posted, check this one: (LINK)They're even more pointedly anti Semitic...

Your first link, BTW, is old news. That briefing dates from a time when the US Air Force tried a power play to grab all the cyber warfare responsibility (and funding) for all of DoD. Didn't work.

She's been around for a long time, had several jobs and worked her way up the system, one step at a time; more history here: LINK. Note she started out at Booz Allen Hamilton, one of our larger think tankettes who offer a springboard into government. That was back in the 80s.

She's been a power player for a while (LINK scroll way down). Note all the females -- the US DoD is an equal opportunity employer. One hopes she learned something in all those positions. As for the major in Russian Studies, so too did Condoleeza Rice who parlayed that into the Secretary of State job. I also seem to recall that 85% of all degree holders work outside their major field...

Besides, she's a follower of Uncle Carl: (LINK), ergo she can't be all bad...

Not to worry, she's only an adviser to the Air Force Chief of Staff. He may or may not listen to her.

I had the pleasure of working with Lani when I taught at the National War College from 2004 to 2006. She's very, very smart. Very insightful about a very, wide range of national security and strategy issues. I may not agree with her on all things, but we could do a lot (A LOT) worse than having her advising the Air Force.

Bernard Finel

Council Member

Ken White:

Read those hard core left wing sites and you'll get flooded with misinformation. Aside from the links you posted, check this one: (LINK)They're even more pointedly anti Semitic...
    Thank you for your comments. For your information Ken, it didn't come from a "Hard core leftist website" unless you call Col. (ret.) Pat Lang's "Sic Semper Tyrannis" website hard core leftist.

Phil Giraldi picked it up from there and ran with it at antiwar.com if you read the comments on Col. Langs blog..

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_s...lani-kass.html

The question remains; how did she get this position? I'm very sure she is very smart and good at what she does. However, the "world islamofication" map and her associated speech however is certainly unmeasured and certainly not in Americas best interests by any stretch of the imagination, as recent events surrounding settlements in East Jerusalem and comments by Gen. Petreaus have indicated.

I fail to understand her qualifications having anything to do with cyberwarfare, and I speak as someone who drifted into the field of information technology without a computer engineering qualification, and I have the scars to prove it. I've given powerpoint presentations about "seamless integration of technology to produce a magic customer experience" myself. I smell the same paradigms in that presentation.

To put it another way, being an expert on the Russian weltschmerz does not translate into being an expert on middle eastern affairs, let alone computer networks and cyber warfare.

What we are talking about are the best interests of America first. That is the issue raised by Col. Lang, Giraldi and others, including me. We fail to understand how this person is "adding value" to command, nor how the risk associated with potentially divided loyalties, as demonstrated by her unhelpful and misleading hype about Islam, is being managed.

If there is some form of risk management in place, and it can be shown that there is some value add, then well and good.
    Last edited by walrus; 04-16-2010 at 05:59 AM.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    The question remains; how did she get this position? I'm very sure she is very smart and good at what she does. However, the "world islamofication" map and her associated speech however is certainly unmeasured and certainly not in Americas best interests by any stretch of the imagination, as recent events surrounding settlements in East Jerusalem and comments by Gen. Petreaus have indicated.
    Well smart and good at what she does would seem grounds for qualification. As for the rest she's just pumping her political schtick, just as Gen. Petreaus is. Personally I think they are both wrong.
    I fail to understand her qualifications having anything to do with cyberwarfare, and I speak as someone who drifted into the field of information technology without a computer engineering qualification, and I have the scars to prove it. I've given powerpoint presentations about "seamless integration of technology to produce a magic customer experience" myself. I smell the same paradigms in that presentation.
    I concur. So what? How did Excum, Kilcullen and Nagl, end up as COIN experts? Dave is actually a very smart guy and excellent infantry officer, but when I knew him, there was no inkling if the COIN stuff.

Personally, I do not really care about qualifications. I read what they write and listen to what they say.

IDF service: Most/All smart Israelis have military backgrounds. What did she do in the Air Force? She may well have only got to Major in her Reserve Service. She may have been a logistician. So what? Are you saying she is a Spy?
    I know quite a few former Israeli Officers in big US defence companies working on everything from armour to space-based EW.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default G'Day Walrus...

it didn't come from a "Hard core leftist website" unless you call Col. (ret.) Pat Lang's "Sic Semper Tyrannis" website hard core leftist.
    Nah, I consider Lang soft core. He's a waste of time, I've long paid him very little heed. Giraldi seems to lean somewhat more crossways -- or something...
    By being bright and obviously ambitious, she insinuated herself into various positions and friendships and used those to lever herself 'up,' one job at a time. Fairly standard way of doing business. I don't agree with it but it's quite common and I doubt we'll change it. Has to be that way to prove the Peter Principle.

As for her 'ideas' -- there are a lot of folks who have ideas with which I disagree in all facets of government in most nations. I'm opposed to most social welfare provisions for example as I believe their secondary goal of creating a complaint citizenry is inimical to freedom -- and accountability. Yet, most western governments are filled with folks who believe in that stuff. Idiots abound. The Air force -- indeed all the services, the entire US guvmint -- puts people in high places that I wouldn't take as working troopies in combat because while they may be intelligent and educated, they have no common sense and thus are ineffective -- or mildly dangerous...

The Middle East today is a conundrum, all the rest of the world can do is watch as it sorts itself out. Yet, the urge to poke it, stick fingers in odd places or otherwise meddle seems to overwhelm many. No worries, as my wife, for some inexplicable reason, absolutely hates to hear me say; "It'll all work out -- one way or another..."
    I've given powerpoint presentations about "seamless integration of technology to produce a magic customer experience" myself. I smell the same paradigms in that presentation.
    Yes. Hmm. I agree but I also am confirmed in my opinion that a grease pencil on acetate is far better than a computer and PP...

Also confirmed is my suspicion that certain salespeople are best avoided.
    ...We fail to understand how this person is "adding value" to command, nor how the risk associated with potentially divided loyalties, as demonstrated by her unhelpful and misleading hype about Islam, is being managed.
    I strongly doubt she is adding any value. OTOH, neither is or did Pat Lang in his government tenure. Very few people in government really add much value at all, most just do their job to one degree or another. The system is too large and self correcting (self-defeating??? ) to be much perturbed by anyone or any group of persons. Nothing to worry about, really -- there are a slew of bright people in the US (all???) government(s) who probably don't have the best interests of the nation or its people as their overarching drive. Fools, charlatans, con men, mildly incompetent well meaning and generally ineffective folks, blithering idiots all abound. That's life...
    If there is some form of risk management in place, and it can be shown that there is some value add, then well and good.
    The risk management factor is amply provided by plain old bureaucratic risk aversion and generic US governmental mismanagement.

Default Cyberwarfare: a 'toddler' in academia

Ms. Kass's history suggests she isn't on the ground doing the nitty gritty. She is likely not hacking and coding, but synthesizing the information gleaned from her subordinates - who are more likely the "real" pros on cyberwarfare - into strategic advice for a burgeoning and rapidly evolving field of warfare.
    Similarly, I recently met someone described to me as a "gaming expert" and offered up as the equivalent of an advisor (on gaming) to our team. This person actually had no real experience with gaming, and was even lacking some basic terminology, but has worked on developing strategy for several high level gaming related initiatives, which made him apparently qualified.

Also: It's easier to self identify as an expert in a field that is in such nascent stages. There simply isn't a critical mass of established pros to deny another's expertise in cyberwarfare yet (although there is some emerging genius; it'll be interesting to watch this woman's work on cyberterrorism develop). Sad but true: there aren't enough academic groups well-established on the topic, as interested parties face fierce fights from within their institutions on justifying the need for cyberwarfare education beyond a single course or workshop.
    Of course, one could always start with an IT or Computer Science degree... But when ever does logic reign in the high seas of bureaucracy?

Besides, who knows, maybe she's a closet programmer

To put it another way, being an expert on the Russian weltschmerz does not translate into being an expert on middle eastern affairs, let alone computer networks and cyber warfare.
    There are very few academic experts in cyber warfare. The defining principles have not even been agreed upon. Currently you have information operations proponents, electronic warfare proponents, computer network defense/attack proponents, and very few warfare experts.

The result is a biased tumult response to the issues we know about. There is also a conflation/subterfuge of placing information assurance and security in the same bucket as cyber warfare. That is kind of like putting generic law enforcement in the same realm as high intensity armor and air war.

I have been a critic of Dr. Kass' views on cyber warfare as proposed through the Air Force and I talked to her for a moment at the Air War College a few years ago. She seemed open and interested in the topic to me at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oyl View Post
    Also: It's easier to self identify as an expert in a field that is in such nascent stages. There simply isn't a critical mass of established pros to deny another's expertise in cyberwarfare yet (although there is some emerging genius; it'll be interesting to watch this woman's work on cyberterrorism develop). :
    The example of the NDU professor is evidence of the issues in how information operations and intelligence gets mixed with cyber warfare. SITE and the professors work was great but it is not cyber warfare.

There are a lot of hobbyists that are relatively new to the topic and for some reason they get substantially more press than people who have been studying the topic for decades. Many excellent professionals have entered the field with credibility in other disciplines and rely on the halo effect. There is a "whoa classified hide under the table the NSA reads your email" grand wizard effect that permeates some organizations. And air power will win every war right?

The fact people think cyber war is nascent is an example of the ignorance surrounding the topic more than the reality of the discipline. Someday we'll be able to have real conversations about the realistic expectations of actual capabilities in actual contexts.

Summary: Cyber warfare is not computer security; Cyber warfare has a long history of research; many people have followed the money; when the water clears real experts will be here plugging away just like the last go around on this topic (10 years ago).

But, what would I know?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.