Thread: The role of non-African powers in Africa: a discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hy JMA

Well, you seem to be eager with Chinese. I do follow much of what you say on their presence in Africa: dirty deals and imported manpower. But this is not working on the long run, France and UK made that experience long ago. About USA, as you so well said: USA policy in Africa has not been consistent enough in the last 20 years to really allow USA to be a big player on that continent. But they do have something going on today. South Africa and Austral Africa might not be the priority of Africom, I would admit that.

As you mentioned in one of your post in the beginning of the discussion, this is in relation with what is happening in Sudan. And I do agree more and more on that point. Sudan past elections and coming referendum are a corner/white stone for Africa, do the cntinent like it or not.
    I am actually working on the comparison I did on Sudan referendum and Berlin conference. And what you are saying is finding some echo in me. But I would not be that pessimistic (well not that dark in the darkness). China is like any other economical power: they will soon need fair and free legal environment to do business, even in Africa. On that point, I think that Dayuhan is close to reallity.

But what I really feel behind bitterness in your posts is the need for Africa leader to change. And I do agree with that feeling. But what role do you see for Africa in its future? Do you really think that solution is in external power? I know, you said leave Africa alone. But it’s a little short young man

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Hy JMA

Well, you seem to be eager with Chinese. I do follow much of what you say on their presence in Africa: dirty deals and imported manpower. But this is not working on the long run, France and UK made that experience long ago. About USA, as you so well said: USA policy in Africa has not been consistent enough in the last 20 years to really allow USA to be a big player on that continent. But they do have something going on today. South Africa and Austral Africa might not be the priority of Africom, I would admit that.

As you mentioned in one of your post in the beginning of the discussion, this is in relation with what is happening in Sudan. And I do agree more and more on that point. Sudan past elections and coming referendum are a corner/white stone for Africa, do the cntinent like it or not.
    I am actually working on the comparison I did on Sudan referendum and Berlin conference. And what you are saying is finding some echo in me. But I would not be that pessimistic (well not that dark in the darkness). China is like any other economical power: they will soon need fair and free legal environment to do business, even in Africa. On that point, I think that Dayuhan is close to reallity.

But what I really feel behind bitterness in your posts is the need for Africa leader to change. And I do agree with that feeling. But what role do you see for Africa in its future? Do you really think that solution is in external power? I know, you said leave Africa alone. But it’s a little short young man
    I am not bitter I am merely irritated that people from over the seas are not able to learn from history or willing to read enough history from which to learn.

Then we look at the history of mega crooks like Lonrho's Tiny Rowland who bribed his way around Africa much the same way as the Chinese are doing today. With investors/friends like Tiny Rowland and the Chinese Africa does not need investors/friends.

Africa won't be left alone because their are 'wolves' at the door after her natural resources so all we are seeing is a shift in the balance of power as it affects Africa. China rising, India rising, USA shrinking, UK and France being old history and trying to cling on.

The real problem will begin when China begins to depend on the flow of these resources from Africa and something/someone threatens the flow to feed the insatiable Chinese economy. Then we will begin to see China "acting in its national interests".

In the meantime the smart guys will start to learn to speak Mandarin.