Thread: Behind the enemy lines

Default Behind the enemy lines

I'm a bit unsure if this is the right place to post this thread, but it might be good one to collect some interesting open-source material from the various insurgents.

I will start with this surprisingly piece of reporting from the North of Afghanistan, a region which has become an ever more dangerous and bitter place for ISAF forces. There is quite some effort to promote their aims, and a lot of bragging but also some open insight.

Behind enemy lines 3

I will post my thoughts on this later on.

Firn
    Last edited by Firn; 04-20-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Almost amusing in a dark sort of way to hear the guy bragging about his magnificent bomb-making techniques that the Americans can't figure out, and then watch the next item in the sequecce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfnjfno2Ng&NR=1

... which shows how the planned attack actually comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    Almost amusing in a dark sort of way to hear the guy bragging about his magnificent bomb-making techniques that the Americans can't figure out, and then watch the next item in the sequecce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfnjfno2Ng&NR=1

... which shows how the planned attack actually comes out.
    Indeed it had something comical, but sadly not everytime it works out so well for our side.

While they blew the operation it was disturbing to see just how wide and finely meshed their spotting network is and how freely they could move. They have a lot of dots in their net and modern comms make it just very easy to connect them, be it in the villages, cities, stations or moutains. It seems clear that the contact person has his own runners which no little of the rest.

Still they fear a tip-off or recon leading to ambushes or attacks as they never sleep in the same place twice.

Firn

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

They seem to rely very heavily on mobile phones. I'm not enough of a tech guy to know how it might be done, but isn't that a dependence that could be exploited? Can't these signals be monitored (scanned for key words/phrases/patterns) and their sources located?