Thread: Tipping Point? Palestinians and the Search for a New Strategy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    We come from very different backgrounds, it would appear. You are a professional academian who has built a comfortable lifestyle around the facade that there is a peaceful coexistance possible between the PLO/Hamas and Israel. You certainly have job security, as the status quo hasn't changed in 30 years and has no reason to change in the next 30.
    Sorry. This is bang out of order.
    Speaking as someone living in Israel, carrying an Israeli ID card, and a lifelong Zionist, I say Rex Brynen is a stand up guy, who has put his ass on the line, in that he has lived the problems first hand. He is not part of the ME Peace Industry, and thus he's welcome at my house. We may not agree, but we do talk. If Rex wanted safe and comfortable he made some poor choices.
    I am a professional soldier. I deal with facts.
    I was and I do. What the "Facts are" is actually a huge part of the issue.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    and thus he's welcome at my house.
    As a remember it, it was a cheap coffee shop in a mall last time. I've gone up in the world!
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    As a remember it, it was a cheap coffee shop in a mall last time. I've gone up in the world!
    Eyh... I've moved house and have better coffee.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Fatah and Hamas end feud, agree to interim government

(Reuters) - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah group has inked a deal with bitter rival Hamas to end their long-running feud and form an interim government ahead of elections this year, officials said on Wednesday.

Israel said the accord, which was brokered in secrecy by Egypt, would not secure peace in the Middle East and urged Abbas to carry on shunning the Islamist movement, which has governed the Gaza Strip since 2007 after ousting Fatah in a civil war.

Forging Palestinian unity is regarded as crucial to reviving any prospect for an independent Palestinian state, but Western powers have always refused to deal with Hamas because of its refusal to recognize Israel and renounce violence ..

Default Arab upheaval prompts concerns in Israel

An IISS Strategic Comment:http://www.iiss.org/publications/str...rns-in-israel/

Which ends with:
    Israel faces the prospect of a significant reshuffling of its strategic position and relationships as the outcomes of Arab uprisings solidify. Its concerns are likely to endure for some years.
    davidbfpo

The problem is simple in terms of definition."Palestinians" did not exist as a people until 1948.Post-48 they have forged an existence in dysfunctional symbiosis to Israel.To turn the great Modern Zionist adage on its head,"they fight,therefore they exist."

Modern Israel exists on 2/10ths its historical land.Both Jews and"Palestinians"were offered land at the same time,officialy in 1921,only the Jews accepted."Palestinians"refused and saw the British lop off Jordan from the Mandate.After Ethnically Cleansing that portion of its Jews it installed a branch of the Hashemi (Hashemite) Clan as a pro-British Monarchy,after giving the other main branch Iraq.Ergo they cleared al Hejaz (the Hashemi controlled portion of Arabia) for its annexation to Nejd by the Saudi Clan and voila...Saudi Arabia,Iraq and Jordan in one fall swoop (as the French did the same with Syria and Lebanon).

The Jews continued their state building as"Palestinians"continued in a 16 year non-stop barrage of terrorism against Jews which wasn't returned until 1936.Those years were the critical period.By 1929 the Jews had fully formed their state with full economic takeoff and began focusing on the military end of things.By 1936 they had a fully viable nation while"Palestinians"were still calling themselves"Southern Syrians"and refusing to accept responsibilities along with proffered opportunities.

Since Israeli Independence in 1948 nothing has changed.A nation cannot exist without a people and a people cannot exist on hatred and violence alone."Palestine"will never succeed if and when it is dragged kicking and screaming into independence.It has no historical or cultural narrative apart from that hatred,that dysfunctional character.

Rex,that 3 Billion US a year you mentioned?It means absolutely nothing.The largesse only began with Kennedy and even then it wasn't pouring in until Nixon.Still,add up every Dollar from day one and you come up with 30% of a single year's worth of Israeli GNP.Weaponry?Israel is the #4 exporter of arms on the planet.It is a tech-based economy with a ranking of #1 or #2 in any given year in patents,IPOs,university degrees,tech start ups and more.

America doesn't give away money,it buys things,in this case a long term strategic partner.Israel os a Liberal Democracy with absolute political stability.

You are correct that stability attracts investment and indeed,were"Palestine"to make formal peace yes,money would roll in but it would roll in with strict riders just as it does to Israel and every other sovereign nation.While staying as is the PA enjoys free reign financially.Arafat looted Billions in US Dollars,literally.