Thread: What tribal societies can tell us about justice and liberty

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    by mentioning "good governance". We'll soon be joined by COL Bob Jones who will explain his theories of "good governance" in terms of "a (nomonological-)deductive logic system", and in terms of "an inductive (probabilistic) logical system", to boot. At which point, this country lawyer will really be lost in the fog of words.
    LOL - okay, okay!

Some points in this discussion exemplify the problem of expressing "facts" in words. I thought Rhonda was doing pretty well with her 60 mph van until this:

The problem is with "every". People have survived direct hits from motor vehicles traveling 60 mph or more; just as people have survived free falls from thousands of feet. Those are admittedly outliers, but they do exist. So, "almost every" is more precise wording in that particular case.
    Yup, that's it exactly. "Outliers" is a nice synonym for those nasty facts that disprove ones "perfect" theory, since they both lie outside of what is predicted and, therefore, are liars (to quote an old sociology prof of mine)

Now, excuse me while I go and look up "nomonological-deduction".
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Deductive-nomological_model (I use the older version of the name ).
    Last edited by marct; 05-05-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: fixed wonky added code....
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/