Thread: Police Intelligence Operations

Default Police Intelligence Operations

H/T to bismark17:

Here is the link to FM 3-19.50 via Secrecy News - U.S. Army Issues Manual on Police Intelligence Operations.

A new U.S. Army Field Manual (pdf) introduces the concept of "police intelligence operations," an emerging hybrid of military intelligence and law enforcement.

"Police intelligence operations are a military police function that supports, enhances, and contributes to a commander's situational understanding and battlefield visualization and FP [force protection] programs by portraying the relevant criminal threat and friendly information, which may affect his operational and tactical environment."

The new manual presents doctrine that is broadly applicable to support military operations abroad as well as domestic military facility protection.

A copy of the new manual was obtained by Secrecy News.

Default Towards Optimal Police Patrol Routes with Genetic Algorithms

Towards Optimal Police Patrol Routes with Genetic Algorithms
    http://ai.eller.arizona.edu/COPLINK/...licepatrol.pdf

It is quite consensual that police patrolling can be regarded as one of the best well-known practices for implementing public-safety preventive policies towards the combat of an assortment of urban crimes. However, the specification of successful police patrol routes is by no means a trivial task to pursue, mainly when one considers large demographic areas. In this work, we present the first results achieved with GAPatrol, a novel evolutionary multiagent-based simulation tool devised to assist police managers in the design of effective police patrol route strategies. One particular aspect investigated here relates to the GAPatrol’s facility to automatically discover crime hotspots, that is, highcrime- density regions (or targets) that deserve to be better covered by routine patrol surveillance. In order to testify the potentialities of the novel approach in such regard, simulation results related to two scenarios of study over the same artificial urban territory are presented and discussed here.
    One consensus that has emerged in this sense is that identifying hotspots requires multiple complementary techniques, since no single method is good enough for all circumstances. With this in mind, in this paper, we present GAPatrol, a novel evolutionary multiagent-based simulation tool devised to assist police managers in the design of effective police patrol route strategies. As the specification of these patrol routing strategies is intimately associated with the discovery of hotspots, our claim is that such decision-support tool provides an alternative, automatic means for the elimitation and characterization of important crime hotspots that may exist or appear over a real demographic region of interest.
    COPLINK: Managing Law Enforcement Data and Knowledge
    http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/6100...FTOKEN=6184618

In response to the September 11 terrorist attacks, major government efforts to modernize
    federal law enforcement authorities’ intelligence collection and processing capabilities have
    been initiated. At the state and local levels, crime and police report data is rapidly migrating
    from paper records to automated records management systems in recent years, making
    them increasingly accessible.
    Last edited by sgmgrumpy; 02-26-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Council Member

LawOfficer.com, 8 May 08: Intelligence-Led Policing
    ...Law enforcement struggles unknowingly with the concept of intelligence as we gradually move toward the model of intelligence-led policing. The 'intelligence' in the term 'intelligence-led policing' is based on quality analysis of crime events, criminals, criminal organizations, and any other relevant information. Crime analysis and intelligence analysis are central to this process. The free Police Foundation report (sponsored by the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services) Integrated Intelligence and Crime Analysis: Enhanced Information Analysis for Law Enforcement Leaders explains this in greater depth.

So, what exactly is intelligence-led policing (ILP)? Jerry Ratcliffe's new book, Intelligence-Led Policing , is the first text dedicated fully this subject. Dr. Ratcliffe, a former Metropolitan London police officer, is a professor at Temple University and has spent years of research on the topic of ILP.

Ratcliffe defines ILP as follows:

Intelligence-led policing is a business model and managerial philosophy where data analysis and crime intelligence are pivotal to an objective, decision-making framework that facilitates crime and problem reduction, disruption and prevention through both strategic management and effective enforcement strategies that target prolific and serious offenders.

I met with half a dozen juridstictions yesterday (both Police and Fire). We did a sticky-note excercise in an attempt to get them to talk about their issues. It was pretty common that management of the police is being decided more on political expediency than what actually might be good law enforcement practice (my perception for their listed issues). We offered up expertise that might help them with decision practices (and no I didn't even mention Boyds loop) and help managing up too.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default Intelligent Led Policing?

This management tool has been around in the UK for many years, the impetus actually came from an Audit Commission review (accountants) and then the National Intelligence Model (NIM) which was a top (central government) down (police) document.

After many years it is quite clear that ILP sounds fine, but has become a smokescreen for politically dictated targets. No gueses which comes first, ILP or targets?

ILP often fails to provide tactical intelligence for those on patrol or investigations and concentrates on higher levels.

Better stop, this gets me annoyed.

davidbfpo

At the state and local levels, crime and police report data is rapidly migrating from paper records to automated records management systems in recent years, making them increasingly accessible.
    ROTFL!

After many years it is quite clear that ILP sounds fine, but has become a smokescreen for politically dictated targets. No gueses which comes first, ILP or targets?

ILP often fails to provide tactical intelligence for those on patrol or investigations and concentrates on higher levels.
    I'll second that from the other side of the Atlantic. IMHO, the utility of intel is way oversold. The view from the curb is that intel is a one-way freeway that runs well overhead. I won't even digress into the Byzantine rules & laws, even at the state & local level, that choke domestic intell collection & dissemination for police purposes. Bismark17 could lay out chapter & verse.

I think ILP could work in the US. It would be pretty simple to accomplish, but buy in would be the issue. A long time ago it was guy sitting around a table going through polaroids of contact stops trying to figure out who was moving where. What ever tools are put into place have to be simple and allow for containment. Things that would stop it dead instantly are the ability to discover it at trial, or the use of it ever as evidence in a trial.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant T View Post
    ROTFL!

I'll second that from the other side of the Atlantic. IMHO, the utility of intel is way oversold. The view from the curb is that intel is a one-way freeway that runs well overhead. I won't even digress into the Byzantine rules & laws, even at the state & local level, that choke domestic intell collection & dissemination for police purposes. Bismark17 could lay out chapter & verse.

Ten Four!

Default Oldest son is a west coast cop

who works in the police intel field. He has horror stories along that line -- and gray hair from that. I'm entirely too young to have gray headed kids...