Thread: Mass Atrocity Response Operations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Turning off my radios...

Ken White has just commented above:
    turning off my radios..
    Is that today an option for a unit commander? My question only applies to Western armies; who often have multiple means of communication and redundancy.

A "touch of Nelson" I think is out of date. There are enough people here who have "boots on the ground" experience to comment.
    davidbfpo

Question Turning off radios...

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Is that today an option for a unit commander? My question only applies to Western armies; who often have multiple means of communication and redundancy.
    Sadly you're correct -- it is no longer an option. Or at least it's a more hazardous option in several respects due to that redundancy and excessive micromanagement. I knew that when I made the comment, I made it to signify an attitude, knowing those days were gone and you correctly understood that.
    A "touch of Nelson" I think is out of date. There are enough people here who have "boots on the ground" experience to comment.
    Though I do not believe you're equally correct in that. However, I do acknowledge -- again sadly -- that many will agree that you are. Fortunately for us all, there will always be a few who just get things done in spite of bureaucratic and risk averse impediments. Who dares, wins -- and those who do not dare don't know what they're missing.

Times change, people adapt -- but all change is not necessarily an improvement and hewing to the rules is not always assured, desirable or even sometimes possible...

Default Forecasting genocides

Hat tip to the Australian Lowy Institute:
    Last Wednesday Sydney University academic Ben Goldsmith presented to the Lowy Institute his research on forecasting genocides.

After examining data from the early 70s onward, Goldsmith and his fellow researchers found four key factors that determine countries at high risk of genocide: infant mortality, the incidence of previous genocides or 'politicides', the percentage of the population serving in the military, and the incidence of political assassination.
    The paper is on:http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=2027396
    davidbfpo